After the tragedy in Las Vegas, I’ve found it hard to express the sadness I feel for the country. It’s difficult to fathom why we haven’t passed better gun legislation, given all of the mass killings the US has suffered in the last 10 years alone. It’s common sense.
Jimmy Kimmel said it so well in his monologue. It isn’t about gun legislation. IT’S COMMON SENSE.
No one is coming for my uncle’s hunting rifle or the hand gun my wife keeps by the bed. That’s not the problem. The problem – aside from the incredible disrespect people have for human life – is that we’ve made it the norm, even encouraged, for gun enthusiasts to buy assault rifles and modifiers that allow those rifles to mimic machine guns.
I’m SO SICK of hearing people defend guns. Was it the individual’s fault? Absolutely. Is it okay for any civilian to own 49 weapons?! NO. How about thousands of rounds of ammunition and 12 rifles rigged for rapid fire. FUCK NO.
It’s the immediate fault of the terrorist, but we – as a society – make it relatively easy for these fuckers to get their hands on guns with the capacity to kill 59 and injure 500+ in just 11 minutes. That’s not a handgun for protection or a rifle for deer hunting.
- Require universal background checks. Did you know you can order a gun online or purchase one at a show without a background check?
- Impose a limit on the amount of guns and ammunition one can purchase in a certain time period. No one needs 49 rifles and thousands of round of ammo for deer season.
- Restrict the mentally ill and those convicted of abuse from buying guns. If you’re beating your wife or have schizophrenia… probably don’t need a gun.
- Raise the age to buy a gun to 21. I don’t know about you, but at 18 I could’ve done a lot less damage with a beer than I could have with a gun.
- Ban assault rifles and bump-fire stock. You’re not in combat in Afghanistan. You don’t need that shit.
- Make it harder to get a gun than an abortion. Seriously ya’ll. I thought these mo fos were pro life?!
These are basic, common sense protections I hope all reasonable people can all agree on. It won’t be a magic cure, but it’s a start. It’s better than nothing, which is what we’ve done in the past.
I don’t really feel like doing this today, but let’s pretend the world hasn’t lost its mind and have a normal-ish #WIAW party. Check out my day of eats below, and be sure to link up to Jenn’s WIAW baby at the bottom.
As per usual, Vegas brought me coffee to bed. After checking some email, I come downstairs to make our morning cocktails.
Breakfast was an old favorite: Sweet Potato Chia Pudding. It legit tastes like pie filling.
Here’s how you do it:
- 1/4 large sweet potato, baked
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla pea protein powder
- 1/2 C unsweetened coconut milk (or other liquid)
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 2-3 drops vanilla stevia
- Shake of salt
- Pinch cloves
In a bowl, mash up the sweet potato until it’s smooth-ish. Mix in the other ingredients and refrigerate at least 1 hour (or overnight). If it’s too thick, add more milk or water as needed.
FYI: This also works well with pumpkin.
I spent the morning cooking, so I used what I was making: eggplant “bacon” and zucchini hummus. (Recipes to come later.) Plus a bunch of veggies and La Croix.
A quickie before the gym: fresh fig with tahini. I’m on a tahini bender.
I posted the workout and a sweet booty move on Instagram. (Sweet because it ends in a kissy face.)
Before dinner I had a smoothie bowl, but that was less interesting. Dinner was a homemade veggie burger and a GIANT salad. It was tasty. If I can motivate to take pics, that recipe may get posted soon-ish!
Have you ever made veggie burgers? Hell froze over tonight… I made vegan veggie burgers. They're a quinoa-mushroom-sunflower base with southwestern seasonings. They're pretty good! Served with a giant salad, avocado, sprouts, and salsa. Vegas had chicken, obv. Side note: it makes me sad to type her nickname now. I'm still dumbfounded… 😢 What a scary world we live in. What more will it take to pass some gun legislation?! *steps off soap box*
Let’s also not forget about Puerto Rico. There are now 34 dead and 95% of the island is still without power.
Did you notice anything weird (for me) about my day of eats?
Have you ever been to Vegas? We stayed right next to the concert venue at the Tropicana a couple weeks ago.