Leaving Atlanta’s Weather + WIAW

Sometimes Mother Nature is a big help.

I know most of you think I’m nuts based on the US weather as of late.

This was my view this morning:

My camera couldn't pick up the snow very well so I took some artistic license.

My camera couldn’t pick up the snow very well so I took some artistic license.

… 

Read More »

Chasing My Tail + WIAW

Is there such a thing as a moving consultant?

I need to be project planned.

In my “normal” life I’m pretty organized.  I’m structured.  I have a routine and I like it.  Some might call me Type A (though you wouldn’t know it from the past couple months… I blame Vegas).

Anytime I move it’s a whole new story.  I turn into a Jack Russell puppy chasing it’s tail.  I have bubble wrap everywhere.  Piles of shit I  have no idea what to do with.  Empty boxes.  Boxes that are 75% full… but that I can’t seal because I’m looking for little odds and ends I can cram it the remaining 25% (you know those odd spaces that need to be stuffed by nothing really fit in?).

moving… 

Read More »

Red Velvet Oreos, Wine, + WIAW

The competition is off.

I don’t know how I thought I was going to pull that one off.

I just got married.  I’m moving across the country (anyone want to buy a condo in Midtown Atlanta???).  And I was going to do a competition… a week after moving.  HAHAHAHA!  I’m stubborn.  I don’t understand the word “no.”  But even I’m not quite THAT crazy.

Also, red velvet Oreos are delicious with Zinfandel.  We all know I have an Oreo thing.  That red velvet is definitely contender for the top flavor.  The cookie isn’t so different, but that cream cheese filling rocks my world.

Red Velvet Oreos and wine… 

Read More »

Healthy Snacks on the Go

As you have probably figured out, I am always on the go.

It’d be a shame to stagnate.

Whether it is traveling to the next exotic location or just running around town, I don’t sit still for very long.  Unfortunately, this can mean grabbing something unhealthy to eat on those forays in my car.  Granola bars, fruit, and raw veggies can only carry you so far.  And what happens when you don’t feel like lugging along a cooler to keep things like Greek yogurt cold?

If you’ve been reading very long, you know I need variety!  Anyone else looking for healthy (and delicious) snacks that don’t need refrigeration but are not the same old same old?  I thought I’d share some of my stand-bys today.

Healthy Snacks on the Go… 

Read More »

Spiced Protein Fiber Bars [Gluten-Free Recipe]

It’s strange to admit, but we all like to be regular.

I mean that in the most TMI way possible.

Fiber.  Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

Fiber helps you poop.  It’s strange to admit to in public, but being regular is nothing but good.  These bars are loaded with fiber, which helps you stay regular, which is good. #strangebutgood

Spiced Protein Fiber Bars… 

Read More »

Irrational Aversions and Pancakes + WIAW

We can’t always be rational.

I may abuse this with my irrational aversions.

Water sports are fine, but as soon as you want me to dunk my whole head under water… no dice.  I abhor white potatoes… but I’ll eat hash browns and french fries if they’re burnt extra crispy.

There are certain words I cannot stand.  “Chunked” shouldn’t be allowed on any restaurant menu.  “Privileges” makes me relive a lot of teenage angst.  While I love my chocolate cake to be such, the word “moist” makes me want to gag.

Moist Flow Chart… 

Read More »

Strange But Super Bowl [Recipes]

I love a super bowl.

I eat one every night.

I’m told there’s a big TV commercial football game this weekend.  Being from the South, I couldn’t care less about pro football.  College is where it’s at!  However, I do love a good party and the food that come with it.  I also love to make people stare.

In honor of the grand tradition of the Super Bowl, I’m dedicating this week’s #strangebutgood post to strange but super snacks – some from me, some from some awesome bloggers!

Brown Beer Hummus

Beer Hummus… 

Read More »

I Own This + WIAW

We create our own destiny.

I refuse to read my horoscope.

Someone told me that Mercury is in retrograde.  After Googling to see WTF that meant, I called bullshit.  There are times where life gets more challenging, time is short, motivation is lacking… but in the end we decide how we handle it.

Right now my struggle is on the superficial side, but a struggle nonetheless.  It’s diet.  I’m supposed to compete in 8 weeks and I’m struggling with getting back on track.  However, I’ve decided to allow myself to be flexible.  If I don’t make this show, there will be one the next weekend.  And the next.  And next year.  I came to that realization by being honest about where I am.  I talked to my therapist trainer Monday night and he reminded me that a lot is changing for me.  I got married.  It’s a new life.  I don’t have to do EVERYTHING at once (insert shocked face).  Doing stuff like enjoying dinner with Vegas on her birthday is more important right now.

don't think

That’s not to say I’m giving up.  But whatever happens… I own this!

One thing that helps is treating myself with healthy buys… like a haul from iHerb.  Beet powder (which I love in pancakes and Red Velvet protein shakes), Cocoa Cardio (Red Velvet Waffles!), peanut flour, and gelatin are daily staples. If you have any digestion “issues” I highly recommend it (here’s a post I did on it).  I’m trying the collagen version for the first time with this order.

Use discount code USO924 for $5-10 off your first order!

Use discount code USO924 for $5-10 off your first order!

Another motivator is energy.  I was thrilled when I received the two-10 discovery pack from FRS®.  The pack includes a big bottle of FRS concentrate, a sample pack of soft chews, and 2 cans of their energy drink.

My favorite thing about FRS is their ingredient list and why it was developed.  It was originally created by health scientists to provide chemotherapy patients with natural, sustained energy.  The FRS patented Healthy Energy formula has the all-natural antioxidants quercetin (found in blueberries and apples) and green tea extract, plus seven essential vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C and E).  I’m all about immune system support after getting the plague.

FRS

Not only are these drinks more delicious than the junk from the gas station, but they also doesn’t rely on chemicals, sugar and massive amount of caffeine to give you the shakes energy.

Vegas and I both loved the soft chews on our San Diego hikes.  I could feel the difference mid-hike as I raced Vegas up a hill.  I won, btw.

FRS #iownthis

So, I’m challenging myself to go with the flow and not be so hard on myself.  At the same time, I’m committed to doing my best and staying active.  It’s what makes me happy!  #iownthis

Learn more about the FRS two-10 discovery pack, and check them out on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

This post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of FRS.


This WIAW is 8 weeks out from my competition.  See above.

WIAW - New

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!


Meal 1:

The usual morning cocktail, followed by my morning sludge.

Breakfast is the new standard – basil and garlic egg white scramble with a whole egg dropped in for #yolkporn.  Toast with coconut oil and cinnamon.

#yolkporn and toast

Meal 2:

I baked Sizzlefish trout with lemon and Italian herbs.  Eaten standing up with red bell pepper slices and kabocha.

Sizzlefish Trout and kabocha

Meal 3:

Chicken with sugar peas.  Simple… but a perfectly cooked piece of chicken is actually one of my favorite things.  That and hot sauce.

Chicken, sugar peas and hot sauce

Meal 4:

Rice cakes with Nuttzo nut butter.  I probably look forward to this meal a little too much.  I had one with chocolate protein “icing” too.

Rice cakes and nut butter

Meal 5:

Rinse and repeat from last night.  A giant peanut butter-sweet potato pancake made with Japanese white sweet potato.

peanut butter-sweet potato pancake

Peanut Butter-Sweet Potato Pancake

  • 2T peanut flour (an iHerb order)
  • 1/2 C cooked sweet potato
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp no sodium baking powder
  • 5-6 drops liquid vanilla stevia  

Blend and cook!

Meal 6:

I love yogurt.  Really.  I’m just as happy with bowls like this as I am with *most* regular desserts.  Well, average regular desserts.  Oh man, I love dessert.

Vanilla yogurt and chocolate fluff

This dessert bowl was 1/2 scoop of Growing Naturals vanilla rice protein mixed with plain Greek yogurt, cinnamon, almond extract, and vanilla liquid stevia.  Then I mixed up 1/2 T cocoa powder and 1/2 T coconut flour with stevia and just enough water to make it a fluff.  Topped with crumbled leftover pretzels from the plane.  Sweet ‘n salty perfection!

***

If Mercury means being impatient, then maybe I am a believer… ha!

Do believe is horoscopes and Mercury and all that jazz?

What are you owning right now?

Competition Prep 10 Weeks Out + WIAW

I’m on the wagon.

Seriously. 9 days sober.

It’s finally time to get back on the stage.  I took a year off from competing to grow and it paid off well.  I put on about 15 pounds (20 at my highest)… and a decent amount of that is muscle.  Looking back at pictures from a couple of years ago, I can’t believe I was that tiny!

2015 Progress

I was hoping to be able to do Physique, but I’m not big enough yet so I’m staying with Figure.  Maybe next year…… 

Read More »

Ho Ho Ho, Ho + WIAW

Tis the season…

To bake all the foods.

Cookies, fudge, Devil’s food cake, ricotta cheesecake, malted walnut pie… you name it, I’ve baked it.  I’ve been baking like a fool!  Or maybe a ho ho ho?

hohohoho

#dessertwhore

… 

Read More »