Have you ever walked past a display in the produce section and been stopped in your tracks by a (good) smell? Last night my nose located some fresh strawberries at the grocery store that I couldn’t resist.
It was enough to inspire a breakfast repeat (a rarity). Strawberries and Cream Oats were just as amazing the second time around.
My brain cells pulled through again and I remembered Leanne’s recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream.
Shout out to Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit for keeping me in good supply of low-sugar treats (and for teaching me to spell pursuit… it’s just one of those words for me…).
I fully intended to make a nice, normal strawberry ice cream. Then I spotted those pretzels and rekindled my romance with sweet + salty.
Shout out to my job for keeping me in good supply of Delta Airlines’ pretzels.
This Strawberry Pretzel Ice Cream was quite tasty. The pretzels were awesome in it. Even if you don’t add them – *gasp* – do use a shake or two of salt to bring out the strawberry sweetness.
Strawberry Pretzel Ice Cream
- 3/4 C light coconut milk
- 1/4 C unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp guar gum
- 1 package of Delta pretzels, slightly broken up (probably 3-4 regular pretzels)
Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the pretzels in a blender and blend until smooth-ish (I left a few bits of strawberry).
Pour into ice cream maker and make as directed by manufacturer, adding pretzels in the last 1-2 minutes.
Scoop into 2 bowls and enjoy! (One at a time.)
– According to Leanne, you can do this without an ice cream maker by pouring into a bowl and freezing 1.5-2 hours. You need to remove every 30 mins to whisk so it doesn’t make a strawberry ice cube. You’d probably want to add the pretzels in the last 15-30 mins
– You could use agave, honey, or stevia rather than maple syrup to sweeten this
– You can probably do this without the Guar Gum. It’s a thickener, so your ice cream will be more cream-like with it
The Royal Wedding is tomorrow! Are you waking up to watch it?
I was going to resist… but I may do a strategically-timed-uncharacteristically-early morning workout.