The bridal shower was a success!
(We took the same pic at my housewarming 1.5 years ago. Standing in the same order, of course. Can’t believe how time flies!)
As long as you count good food, 8 bottles of champagne killed, and a lot of great loot for the bride a success. 🙂
Erica, one of the other bridesmaids (and also one of my BFFs) arrived early to help with the set up/plating/etc. We were actually ready before guests arrived!
You know we’re close when she didn’t smack me after I told her that her anal-retentiveness is part of her charm.
The spread included:
- Chicken salad croissants
- Cucumber sandwiches (it is the South)
- Hummus + veggies + chips
- American Gra–frutti pimento cheese
- Roaring 40’s blue cheese
- Olive-basil cookies
- Roasted red pepper-asparagus-goat cheese mini-quiches
- Spinach salad with orange vinaigrette and pancetta
- Mixed berries + cannoli cream + toasted almonds
- Carrot cake
Did I mention there were mimosas?
By the end of the shower, most of the food was gone and Christina had some awesome gifts (I have Pottery Barn-envy).
The lucky bridesmaids got a surprise, too!
I still had work to do before Monday, but all that anticipation/energy/Georgia Half-Marathon-envy had me craving a run.
Distance: 6 miles
Needless to say, Stevie and I were exhausted by the end of the night.
In debating what to share first, I landed on the Berries + Cannoli Cream in honor of all of the berry-inspired recipes posted this weekend. It seems that everyone is ready for springtime goods! I guess you can’t eat winter squash ALL the year…
I made this for Angie’s bridal shower. It was so good that I wanted to do it again for Christina. Another friend brought the berries and I made the cream. Because there’s no “I” in “team.”
Mine is based on Giada’s recipe, but I simplify the fruit and booze up the cream with orange liqueur. This cannoli cream is light and fluffy – the perfect compliment to the berries. For a richer, more dessert-like treat, you could use frangelico or Irish cream and/or sprinkle with cocoa powder.
Spring Berries & Cannoli Cream
- 1/3 C part-skim ricotta cheese (high-quality!)
- 2 T + 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 T orange liqueur
- 3 T powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 C fresh strawberries, hulled, quartered
- 2 C fresh raspberries
- 2 C blackberries
- 2 T fresh mint, shredded
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Combine ricotta and 2 T of cream in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat remaining 1/3 C of cream, powdered sugar, orange liqueur, and cinnamon in a large bowl until semi-firm peaks form.
- Gently fold the ricotta into the whipped cream. Refrigerate at least 30 mins to allow cream to set and firm up. (Can be prepared the night before.)
- Toss the fruit and mint in a medium bowl to combine. Serve with cream and toasted almonds on side for a party-buffer. Alternately, spoon the fruit into dessert bowls, top with cream, and sprinkle with almonds.
interfering with blogging really busy right now! Recipe for my favorite party item coming tomorrow… it’s reallllly good though.
What’s your favorite springtime dish?
Have you already switched your menus at home?