Salmon Tacos with Cherry Lime Chipotle Salsa are healthy and flavorful. It may sound a little strange, but this sweet and savory dish will be your new favorite Taco Tuesday dinner!
I’m no stranger to flavor combos that are a little odd. I had a whole link up dedicated to #strangebutgood creations! These days my litmus test for an acceptable level of “strange” is Vegas. She’s a pretty picky eater; I know if she likes it, I’ve really made something good.
Just getting her to eat seafood is a feat, but I was really nervous about the Cherry Lime Chipotle Salsa. It was a risk, but these passed the Vegas test with compliments!
It helped that the salsa turned out to be the most simple, amazing, sweet-n-savory salsa ever. I piled the tacos are piled high with the crack-combo.
Cherry + Lime + Chipotle + Basil = Mouth-gasm.
That’s right, I went there.
I was going to just plate this as a meat and sauce, but then I thought “we should have Taco Monday!” Why wait for Tuesday? Tacos are a staple in our house at any meal.
They’re so easy to put together. For this recipe, I made the salsa while I was
procrastinating cleaning up breakfast. That sped up the dinner process since I just needed to sear the salmon and warm the tacos. You could even make the salmon during a meal prep for an even faster assembly!
Admittedly, the photo-taking slowed things down. I’m learning to use a “real” camera!
Let’s address the last strange factor: salmon in tacos?! It works! You might not think SALMON when you think fish tacos, but you should. There’s nothing wrong at all with using the flavorful, pink fish in a taco.
Salmon is a pretty rich fish, which makes it even more perfect for the spiced fruity salsa. Plus, it’s a great source of omega-3s!
Salmon Tacos with Cherry Lime Chipotle Salsa
For the Salsa
- 2 C cherries, pitted
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1 handful basil
- Juice of one lime
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Taco
- 1 lb fresh salmon
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 C chipotle cherry salsa (see below)
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
For the Salsa
For the Tacos
- Pulse everything in a food processor until desired texture is reached (I left mine pretty chunky).
- Mix the chili powder, paprika, and cumin in a small bowl. Pat the salmon dry and rub the top with the spice mix.
- Place the salmon skin-side down in a greased pan over med-high heat. Cook until the color has changed about three-quarters of the way from the bottom.
- Flip the salmon and cook until it feels firm to touch, ~2 mins. Remove and set aside to cool a bit before dividing.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy!
We got a light box, but I can’t figure out how people use that thing. I just took the camera outside.
Are you a fish taco fan?
Have you ever made your own salsa? It’s embarrassingly easy!