This quick cauliflower crust is the perfect canvas of a shell to fill with whatever you’re craving. I’m partial to these Mediterranean Scallop Cauliflower Shell Tacos.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably seen some form of a cauliflower crust floating around Pinterest or Instagram. Most of them require a solid amount of cheese to bind the crust together. Not mine!
My crust is bound simply with egg whites. Now, I don’t have a problem with cheese (I eat it on the regular). I just prefer to save room for toppings… or, in this case, fillings!
When I saw this month’s Recipe Redux challenge – to make a creative taco – I knew it was time for an experiment.
I knew my crust could be picked up like a slice of pizza. Why shouldn’t it be sturdy enough to use as a taco shell? It totally worked. The skies parted, angels sang… well, maybe not. But I did do a Snoopy dance!
The stuffing I chose for this untraditional taco carried on in the theme of unusual. I went Mediterranean.
My stuffings were centered around scallops (thank god for my Sizzlefish freezer stash), which I sautéed simply in lemon juice with a bit of pepper. There were also greens, onions, garlic, red bell peppers, tzatziki, and olives.
In true fashion, I overstuffed the tacos. BUT – I did manage to squeeze one together to prove they can be eaten as a “traditional” untraditional taco.
Then I put it down, added more sauce, and ate with with a fork and knife.
Let your imagination run wild with these shells! Add your favorite flavors to the crust batter (I put parsley in these). I love adding nutritional yeast, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder… literally anything I’m craving!
Mediterranean Scallop Cauliflower Shell Tacos
- 2 cauliflower crusts, divided to make 4 tortillas
- 8 oz scallops, or two servings of your preferred protein
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 c diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Handful spinach
- 1/4 C tzatziki sauce
- 2 T kalamata olives, minced
- Prepare cauliflower crust mix according to directions. Divide batter in half to create two taco shells. Bake as instructed in original recipe.
- Meanwhile, sauté bell pepper, onions, and garlic with a bit of oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook scallops (or protein of your choosing) on stove top with lemon juice. This should take about 6 mins over medium heat, flipping once.
- Once shells, pepper mix, and scallops are done, assemble the tacos. Place shells on a plate and top first with greens. This will prevent the shells from getting soggy. Layer on the pepper mix, protein, tzatziki sauce, and olives.
- If it's too stuffed... just use a fork and knife. Enjoy!
It’s also WIAW time! Check out some of my quickie eats below (it’s been a crazy week!)
More cauliflower crust pizza, topped with a whole smashed avocado, parsley, and sriracha. Followed by more Mediterranean tacos, this time with shrimp. Then a dinner party which consisted of a LOT of meats and cheeses, plus some delicious desserts.
Vegas even liked of this one! I feel like I need a graphic that indicates her seal of approval…
Have you ever made a cauliflower crust?
What your favorite taco filling?