Remember when black bean brownies were all the rage?
Maybe that’s a teeny exaggeration… my friends still thought they were weird.
Flourless Pinto Bean Brownies are where it’s at. These cocoa-laced treats are flourless, fudge-y, and delicious! They are also low sugar and can be made vegan with flax eggs.
I know, I know… pinto beans in brownies sounds weird. But I SWEAR you can’t taste them. Both Vegas and my baby sister ate them and didn’t detect a trace of bean… and they know I usually trying to sneak something healthy into their food.
Flourless chocolate treats are some of my favorites. Not because I’m scared of flour, but because I love that creamy, decadent texture. The beans in these brownies only makes that texture better.
I used my favorite Farmer Direct Co-op brand beans because they make me feel even better – they’re organic, fair-trade, and non-GMO. All things that I’ve been paying closer attention to these days. Cleaner foods just seem to make me feel better.
Back to the chocolate though. I’m also a fan of the rich dark chocolate that cocoa powder gives baked goods. That combined with a hint of peanut butter makes these basically my ideal dessert. Add in a few chocolate chips and I’m in dessert nirvana.
Oh, and they’re sugar free. This hardly even counts as a dessert… so you should just go ahead and pair it with with red wine. 😉
Flourless Pinto Bean Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×9 Pyrex dish and set aside.
- Place all ingredients, except the chocolate chips, in a food processor and process until smooth. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides periodically.
- Fold in chocolate chips, then transfer batter to prepared dish.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the edges start to crisp up and pull away from the sides. A toothpick will come out *mostly* clean. Bean brownies are meant to a bit fudge-y.
- Allow to cool for 15 – 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 129 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 6.7 g||10%|
|Sodium 142 mg||6%|
|Carbohydrate 15.5 g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3 g||17%|
|Sugars 1.4 g|
|Protein 4.3 g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
I was going to have these for Thanksgiving… but they’re gone. Oops.
Do you sneak veggies into your family’s meals?
Have you ever made bean brownies?