We picked up an additional passenger.
He was begging to jump in the car with two women.
I’m on the way to San Diego with Vegas.
Warm, sunny weather is so close I can almost taste it!
Meanwhile, I thought I’d entertain you tropical weather foods. How about The Caribbean? Even if you are snowed in on the East coast, you can create a faux taste of paradise at home! Here are a few ideas.
It’s time to put aside any objections to eating goat. It sounds strange, but it’s delicious. Goat is a lean meat that’s is good for your healthy and your heart. Slow cooked in strong spices to tenderize the meat, goat curry is a delicious Jamaican treat!
The fun part about moving is using all the baking supplies.
Flour, and sugar, and buttah…. oh my!
I made Cat’s browned butter cookies for the gym crew. Then I did the Fudgy Brownies that Juli linked up to last week’s #strangebutgood to have as road snacks for Vegas and me. For ease, I made them as peanut flour-dusted balls (and because balls).
Next up is my own concoction – Oatmeal Jam Cookies. Jam may sound strange… but – in fitting with the Friday theme – it’s good!*
*Don’t take my word for it – my boss said it’s one of the more delicious things I’ve ever brought in to work. The he asked if I used “real” butter.
Sometimes Mother Nature is a big help.
I know most of you think I’m nuts based on the US weather as of late.
This was my view this morning:
I’m committed to stop chasing my tail and start packing.
Less than a week to go. Fear is a great motivator.
This weekend was a really product weekend for packing. The kitchen, bathroom, and dresser are all 95% packed; I’m just keeping out the necessities. Last week I collected some great packing advice from you and I have a few tips of my own to share.
It’s getting a little odd.
Next week should be really interesting.
I refuse to buy more food until I go. There’s enough in my freezer to feed
a small African village me for months. Not to mention all the going away dinners and lunches. No way do I need to go shopping. But look out, Whole Foods San Diego.
As such, there are no real recipes. There are concoctions, favorites from local spots, and dinners with my family (you know that always gets strange). Because when your house looks like this, everything is a little strange… but oh, so good.
Is there such a thing as a moving consultant?
I need to be project planned.
In my “normal” life I’m pretty organized. I’m structured. I have a routine and I like it. Some might call me Type A (though you wouldn’t know it from the past couple months… I blame Vegas).
Anytime I move it’s a whole new story. I turn into a Jack Russell puppy chasing it’s tail. I have bubble wrap everywhere. Piles of shit I have no idea what to do with. Empty boxes. Boxes that are 75% full… but that I can’t seal because I’m looking for little odds and ends I can cram it the remaining 25% (you know those odd spaces that need to be stuffed by nothing really fit in?).
It just got real.
Logically I knew it was real… but reality never ceases to shock me.
You make plans and get excited. You know it’s coming and it can’t get here fast enough. But when it ACTUALLY manifests… it’s still a reality check.
Road food is also a reality check. That red velvet Blizzard did not suck though.
Red Velvet isn’t so strange.
Until I get a hold of it.
I’ve always been a fan of red velvet, but I went on a bender when I remembered it’s Vegas’ favorite. Of course, I couldn’t just do it the normal way (though I did once win a cake baking contest with my great grandmother’s “normal” recipe). I made it healthier and used beets. A little strange perhaps, but good!
In honor of Valentine’s Day, I am doing the obligatory red post. Like I apparently do every year.* But these red velvet treats won’t leave you so full that you won’t want to participate in and romantic activities. Who am I not to follow good advice?
*One day I’ll be more original with V-Day food. This year I’m being original by actually having a Valentine.
The competition is off.
I don’t know how I thought I was going to pull that one off.
I just got married. I’m moving across the country (anyone want to buy a condo in Midtown Atlanta???). And I was going to do a competition… a week after moving. HAHAHAHA! I’m stubborn. I don’t understand the word “no.” But even I’m not quite THAT crazy.
Also, red velvet Oreos are delicious with Zinfandel. We all know I have an Oreo thing. That red velvet is definitely contender for the top flavor. The cookie isn’t so different, but that cream cheese filling rocks my world.