3-Ingredient Lemon Baked Shrimp + WIAW

Shrimp is a relatively new love.

Not to be confused with being shrimpy.

I refused to eat fish until a couple of years ago.  Then I had a bite of swordfish (the steak of the sea – seriously) and it was all over.  It took  me still longer to move beyond fish and eat crab, shrimp, lobster, and mussels.

These days I can’t get enough shrimp.  Whole Foods sells it already deveined with the tails removed, which is perfect for me since I’m still slightly squeamish towards raw fish.  Raw chicken grosses me out too, but that’s another story.

Lemon Baked Shrimp

This is the easiest meal you’ll ever make. All you have to do is lay down the lemon, dump the shrimp out, and sprinkle it with seasoning.  You could probably make the entire thing without ever having touched a shrimp (which is awesome if you’re squeamish like I am).

When you eat this, you can also eat the lemon.  If you have a particularly sour one that might not be good, but they tend to be sweeter in the summer.  I loved it against the spicy Asian seasoning I used!

Recipe at the bottom.

This WIAW I’m back from Colorado but OUT of groceries.  Desperation has set in…

WIAWbutton

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!

Breakfast:

My morning cocktail was followed with a slightly strange, but good breakfast.  I’d prepped tons of spicy chicken for the week, so I chopped that up and tossed with with blueberries to eat on the fly at work.

I also had a side of cinnamon-raisin Ezekial bread.  I slathered the bread with a fabulously trashy childhood favorite peanut butter – Jif.  It wasn’t even the natural kind.  Livin’ on the edge over here. ;)

strange but breakfast

Mid-Morning Snack:

Then came the shrimp.  So good with a side of cauliflower and snow peas.

Lemon Baked Shrimp

Lunch:

Baked paiche (a meaty white fish) with cauliflower and a white sweet potato slathered with more trashy peanut butter and cinnamon.  Yes, I keep cinnamon at my desk.

Paiche

Mid-Afternoon Snack:

Pre-workout Vanilla-Almond Quest bar.  I love these a whole lot.

Quest bar

Dinner:

Chocolate Beet Smoothie Bowl (minus the coffee) ensured after a killer workout.  I don’t know if this counts as a dinner, but it’s what I ate when I got home so we’ll go with it.  I was so hangry that I almost failed to take a picture… so here’s an almost-eaten poo-like shot. #sorryimnotsorry

Chocolate Beet Smoothie Bowl

Dessert:

My nightly dessert bowl.  This was a riff on an old favorite that I’ve had on repeat lately: shredded carrotGrowing Naturals vanilla protein, gelatin, cinnamon, ginger, and bourbon extract.  Topped topped with a crumbled rice cake, cocoa powder sauce, and balls made from part of a coconut cashew Quest bar.  Because everything is better as balls. ;)

protein bowl

3-Ingredient Lemon Baked Shrimp

3-Ingredient Lemon Baked Shrimp

• 1 lemon
  • 1 lb shrimp, deveined with tails removed
  • 1 tsp seasoning (I used an Asian blend)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a 8×8 pan with foil and spray lightly with coconut oil (Or PAM).

Thinly slice the lemon and layer it in the pan.  Spread the shrimp evenly across the lemon slices, then sprinkle with 1-2 tsp of your favorite spice blend.

Bake for 15 mins, or until shrimp is cooked through.

I still can’t choke down an oyster.

Do you eat seafood?

Are there foods you refused to eat as a kid but love now?

Comments

Blueberries and CHICKEN?! Now that’s DEFINITELY A NEW ONE FOR ME… Blueberries… Remind me of tiny little blue balls. I feel bad for blueberry pants, clearly those raspberry and cranberry plants are teases, causing the blueberry plant to sprout little blue balls!

YUM! I can’t get enough of shrimp and like you, tend to use a minimum amount of ingredients when marinating- they are already so flavorful! I used to hate all kinds of veggies when I was a kid- guess who’s making up for lost time now ;)!

I love your breakfast. Seriously. cinnamon and chicken and peanut is fantastic, I had that before!

And you know I am the shrimp obsessed woman over here – not sure about LAY DOWN THE LEMON, but everything else sounds fab :-) ;-)

4. stacey says

I started eating shrimp about 6 months ago! Can’t get enough now! Love them doused in Sriracha and grilled/broiled! I too keep cinnamon at my desk :) Never know when you’ll need it!

Mmm mmm mmmm everything looks delicious! Even the chicken at breakfast with gasp..regular peanut butter! I used to hate fish, but these days I am able to do shrimp, tilapia, and mahi! I’m still a no go with the salmon..yuck it tastes too fishy for me!

I love all seafood… oysters are definitely an acquired swallow though! Try them cooked before trying them raw. I liked fish as a kid, but definitely never ate shellfish until adulthood. I actually still need to thoroughly check out your Sizzlefish.

Well, no seafood for me, I wouldn’t even eat it as a kid. I was the weird kid who pretty much ate all of my veggies. I refused to eat bell peppers, and still won’t eat green ones raw, but cooked I’m good with. Does that count? LOL It’s weird b/c pretty much everything I didn’t like as a kid I still don’t like now no matter how much I’ve tried – like cucumbers, watermelon, any melon for that matter, radishes …

Shrimp is my absolute favorite seafood!! I hate “prepping” it though and it’s really expensive where I shop to get it already deveined so I don’t get it very often.

I hated all veggies as a child and now I’m so ashamed of myself. :P

Now I need to go back and look… I think Whole Foods doesn’t charge extra if you ask them to peel and devein it for you there.

So, I used to work in the meat department at my local grocery store, and I can relate to the raw fish / chicken thing (though I’m better with raw fish). I used to get yelled at for putting gloves on to pick up the chicken because even though I used the paper that it was getting wrapped in to pick it up, I wanted to be extra careful not to accidentally touch the chicken. It’s just gross.

I love shrimp — you can also boil them in beer – then a quick saute with coconut oil (or butter if you are fat like me) and sprinkle them with you fav seasoning. Yummy too.

and I have chicken with strawberries and feta crumbles often for breakfast.

i’m focused again on cleaning up my eating, the adrenal fatigue issues are better now that I am getting some stressors out of the way. so I have been studying your previous recipes a lot of late.

Love – Aunt Teresa

In beer?! How did I know think of that… I love mussles in beer!

Good for you, cleaning it up! If you need ideas, you know how to find me. :)

I can eat shrimp like popcorn.
    And it’s so super simple!!
    I love to have plain steamed, cold jumbos in the fridge.
    I make a killer cocktail sauce with just a squeeze of a lemon wedge, a shot of unsweetened ketchup (wetbrae) and plain unprepared horseradish. You can add seasoning too if you want.
    If you like cocktail sauce I highly suggest it.
    Its particularly awesome paired with avocado (and sour cream if you feel like going there).
    Strange but good.

Popcorn shrimp! Hahaha!

Good call on the cocktail sauce. I don’t like ketchup on its own, but I do love horseradish sauce. Thanks!

I never ate shrimp until after I got married. I’d always liked fish, but I thought shrimp were weird. My husband has let me know how weird I was way back in the day.

It’s amazing how one taste can change your views on food. Lemon shrimp it totally the bomb!