#MoveHappy 4: Fudgy Plantain Protein Muffins

I’m high on my #MoveHappy this week!

I’m in Colorado… what were you thinking?

This week I get to do my #MoveHappy challenge with Heather in Colorado!  In case you missed it, Heather and I are co-hosting a challenge to have FUN with fitness in July.  You can read the details here.  We have a lots of prizes and 5 chances to win some of our favorite fitness-related items.  Last week’s prize was announced on Heather’s blog, and this week I have the goods again!

First let’s talk about how awesome is is to be here for Heather’s 2nd bikini competition!  She decided to start competing almost a year ago this week when we were on vacation in Napa.  I told her if she did, I’d come to Colorado and do a competition with her… this time she’s competing in a different organization and I’m taking a year off, so I came to spectate.  Doesn’t she look great?

We celebrated a great show with lot of tasty food at Session Kitchen.  The server was amazing – she even brought out a special dessert for Heather!  Chocolate Chip Blondie S’mores with streusel sucre and White Russian gelato.

2014 WBFF Denver

Being in Colorado doesn’t mean I took a break though!  Friday’s #MoveHappy activity was especially exciting to me because I’m got to workout in Heather’s swanky gym.  Everything is so shiny and new!

I rocked my Fabletics gear for a glute workout designed by Heather herself!

#movehappy

_______________________________________________________________________________

MH

This Week’s Sponsors

So what ARE this week’s prizes?  I’m especially excited for this week because the prizes are two of my all-time favorite things: Growing Naturals Protein and Quest Nutrition!

Growing Naturals

Growing Naturals truly is my favorite protein to use.  And I  have tried them ALL!  It lives up to my high standards for taste, texture, and clean ingredients.  The ingredients are the best part – it’s plant-based, low sodium, soy-free, and gluten-free.  Find something more healthy, I dare you. ;)

It’s fantastic raw in treats like my Berry Chia Pudding or Key Lime Pie Smoothie, or baked into a treat like the recipe I’m sharing today!  These chocolate plantain muffins are fudgy and rich… like brownies!  You’ll feel like you’re eating dessert, but without all the fat and sugar.

Chocolate Plantain Protein Muffins.jpg

Check out the recipe at the end of this post.  First thing’s first – the free stuff!  Growing Naturals has generously offered a prize pack that includes a blender bottle plus a bag with 1 lb each:

• Vanilla Rice Protein
  • Chocolate Rice Protein (my favorite!)
  • Vanilla Pea Protein

Growing Naturals

Quest Nutrition

The second prize is my beloved Quest bars.  Finding a bar that is high in protein, low in carbs, and still tastes good is no easy task!  These are my favorite.  Their hashtag is #cheatclean, and that’s really when it feels like!  I particularly love them baked.  If you chop up the cookie dough bar into squares and broil it for 2-3 mins, you’d swear it was Cookie Crisp cereal!

The company and all of it’s people are amazing too.  They jumped on board with the #MoveHappy campaign and donated 4 boxes so that EVERY week’s winner will get a variety box of 12 Quest Bars.

Quest

How To Enter?

It’s easy!  Record at least 3 #MoveHappy workouts on the official post for the week.  So this week, you comment on THIS POST each time you finish a #MoveHappy workout.  For bonus entries share your progress on Instagram!  You get extra entries each time you share a #MoveHappy photos on Instagram, including the hashtag (#MoveHappy) and tagging @sprint2thetable (me) and @FITaspire (Heather).

Remember, this challenge is making fitness fun.  Moving happy can be a million different things – running a race, lifting weights, hiking, playing with your kid… something that gets you moving and puts a smile on your face.  Do it, and then come back here and share it in the comments.

If you’re a blogger, you can also add the sidebar image and spread the word!  Head over to Heather’s blog to see who won week 3!

_______________________________________________________________________________

Fudgy Plantain Protein Muffins.jpg

Fudgy Plantain Protein Muffins

• 1 large, ripe plantain (~120 grams)
  • 2 egg whites

• 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 T cocoa powder

• 68 grams (2 scoops) chocolate protein powder (I use Growing Naturals)

• 1/2 tsp baking powder

• 1 tsp cinnamon

• 1/3 C unsweetened almond milk

• 2 T nut butter (I used Nuttzo chocolate)

Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease muffin tin.

In a blender or food processor, blend plantain, egg whites, and vanilla until smooth.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  Stir in egg mixture.  Gradually adding in milk, adjusting as needed (may vary depending on ripeness and size of plantain).  Stir in nut butter.

Pour the batter into muffin tins.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until toothpick come out clean.

Makes 9 muffins.

Approximate nutritionals: 82 calories, 2.0g fat, 35.9g sodium, 7.9g carbohydrates, 1.4g fiber, 3.0g sugar, 8.5g protein

I’m staying the week in Colorado.  It’s marvelous here, and I may never come home.  Maybe Heather and Kirk will adopt me…

What’s your favorite way to use protein powder?

How did you #MoveHappy this weekend?

Comments

1. deb says

Today’s #movehappy workout involved a morning spin session with my gym buddy, and a 10 mile evening hike with the pup! Felt great to connect with my friend and with nature, and to make the whole day about moving my body.

I prefer to stick with plant-based powders so Growing Naturals sounds great :)! Lately I’ve been enjoying ‘em in the form of smoothies…you’ve inspired me to try baking with protein powder!

You know my thoughts on growing naturals! I’m getting envious seeing all the epic eats you guys are noshing!

Favourite way to use protein powder? hmmmm oatmeal or before bed….or someone’s brownie batter bowl.

Looks like you girls have so much fun!! I’m jealous!
    I LOVE GN – so glad I found it through you.
    #MoveHappy today was an early morning run before work! I was supertired but I didn’t regret it!!

You girls are soooooo cooooooool! I am so jealous, and so wonderful you get to compete together. I have always wondered about those competitions, and loved learning more about it. Heather did awesome, and I am sure you will be back there in no time! You won’t be able to stay away :) As for #movehappy, I am about to head out the door on my 16 mile run! Wish me luck :)

6. Mo says

I’d love to try those protein powders! Today’s #movehappy workout is Bootcamp at the gym. I think I will sweat as much getting there as in class, it’s going to be 113 here in Phoenix!

7. Kanoelani says

So proud of Heather! She rocked it! My #MoveHappy today was strength training. I’m so #dead. And I need to win that protein powder haha ;-)

8. Layne says

This mornings #movehappy was extra fun in the rain! Don’t let the weather dampen your mood, have fun with it! It was refreshing after a killer outdoor bootcamp!

My #movehappy workout today was HIIT and core work! Felt so good! I think you know my favorite protein powder is vanilla pea from growing naturals! :)

Heather looks amazing! I’m so proud of her and all the hard work she has put in!

10. Allyssa says

That protein powder looks amazing! My #movehappy fitness moment was waking up early and getting some sprint intervals in before working my arms!

I love Colorado- not sure where you are staying but if youre feeling adventurous go to the Buckhorn Exchange (Denver’s Oldest Restaurant) and get Rocky Mountain Oysters, great foodie experience, haha. Congrats to Heather, she looks amazing!! Today I’m still recovering from the Tri on Saturday (thanks for the well wishes) so just a 40 minute swim on the agenda to move happy!

12. Juliah826 says

Todays #movehappy workout was a grueling leg day and 16 200meter sprints….you bet i will be feeling it!!!:)

Hey – that’s my butt. Is it weird that doesn’t seem weird this time? So glad you came to watch me – you are an amazing friend! I’m not letting you leave next week – I’ll keep coming up with cool things to do so you’ll have to stay. :)

14. Laura K says

#movehappy Monday: bike riding with my hubby on his only day off this week and only day he’ll be home until next Monday (truck driver’s life) Also got in a 2 mile walk. Probably a little more than 2 miles as I made a couple rounds of the perimeter of the big box store before grocery shopping. Got some nice produce for the week including a local- grown cantaloup (frozen cantaloup makes a wonderful addition to protein smoothies!)

I did something totally new this morning at my CrossFit class; snatches! First we practiced with a wooden stick (booooring, too easy!) and then we used the metal bars. I did over 60 snatches with the 45lb bar! Did NOT expect to sweat so much but I was dying! It was awesome, I can’t wait to add plates to the bar next time! #movehappy

16. Angeleen says

I had a fantastic chest and abs workout this morning. I did more push ups (on the knees. but it’s all good!) and finally started back up on cardio. 30 minutes steady state on the stair mill. Whew!

#movehappy

17. Maren says

Frickin yum. My #movehappy workout today was 45 minutes of Pilates this morning and a shoulder session during my lunch hour! I love that I was able to do a two-a-day even though I’m injured! I’ll be sure to IG some #movehappy moves this week too!

Check out those pics of Heather, amazing! Love your pics too! Those muffins…..on my list I have a week and a half to make them before we leave.

Today’s Move Happy… Piyo Define Lower and Upper Body! Even more fun…. jumping on our big trampoline with the sprinkler under it, what you do when it is 100 heat index!!

Great competition pics!

Today’s #movehappy (2 workouts today cause that’s how I roll, I’ll post the other one separately)

4 mile run that included 4 800s at 5:50 pace

Okay, 2nd workout monday pm #movehappy 2 muscle ups, 30 good morning, 30 thrusters, 30 chest to bar pull ups, flexed arm hang until failure, 90 lb farmer walk 800m, 15 dips, 30 kb windmills, 50 box jump-to-burpee, a few yoga moves . . . who knows what else

My Move Happy (first of the day, sure there will be many more) is Piyo Buns!! Yep getting those buns nice for my my swimming suit, who wouldn’t be happy feeling that burn?

22. Laura K says

I did an ab workout dvd today for my #movehappy. I feel like a real whip when I read some of the other movehappiers on here; I really want to get into better shape but I really don’t like sweating, well, maybe a little “glow” is OK; :-)

23. Hannah says

I did my #MoveHappy workout with a small kettle bell session followed by some intense Blogilates ab and booty action! Phew :))

24. Kanoelani says

Got my #movehappy #3 in last night at KAZAXE yay for cardio. 2nd workout of the day yesterday… I can’t move today hahahah ;-)

Got up early and did HIIT20 and Piyo Core. Now for some real Move Happy cardio… shopping! Kidding of course but man running around, and going to MOA (Mall of America) where they have almost everything but 4 levels and you literally have to run/walk across the mall to get to every store you need with 2 kids sometimes seems like it could be a workout. Add in the time crunch as we are in a hurry to get the last few things for our trip and my workouts I think I will be tired at the end of the day, but hopefully still HAPPY!

26. Laura K says

Whew, it’s hot here today! I did an early morning 3 mile walk And rode my bike a couple miles. I need to push my walks to a faster roll, feels like I’m just strolling and not getting much benefit, but guess it beats sitting on the couch! #movehappy

27. Layne says

#movehappy today was awesome- did an old school track workout (brough back the highschool track memories) with my awesome bootcamp group! The group started with 3 members who were paying for the expensive fancy outdoor bootcamps and then they realized, why are we paying for this?! Since then, years later the group has grown to over 15 consistent attendees who meet every M, W, F from 5:30AM-6:15AM for a kick butt workout and best part is it is FREE! Leaders are selected- new adds each year- and I was selected this year after ju 7 months of attending!

28. Layne says

Got to LIFT heavey with my 2nd workout of the day, made me #movehappy i can squat my bodyweight and then some!

29. Mo says

Todays #move happy workout was a 30 minute swim followed by a great flute workout. I hope I’m feelin’ it tomorrow :-)

30. Allyssa says

Today I did a tabata workout that incorporated some plie squats that are my #movehappy moment of the day!

31. Deb says

Today my #movehappy workout was some slow state cardio accompanied by sex and the city reruns, plus a killer kettlebell workout to some great jams. Fun one!

Phew! Had a huge #movehappy day and I’m just beaming. Started it off by training to teach Aqua Fit, followed by an hour of weightlifting. Then boogied down this evening by instructing my first Zumba class at LA Fitness! Such great times!

33. Heather says

today’s workout was a tempo run ! it went great and was extra awesome b/c a random fellow runner commented that i looked strong, which totally made my day :)

34. Gaby says

I”m looking for ways to get more protein! But my addiction to baked goods is strong, I even went back to eggs after years of being vegan this week. I felt nervous but got local farmer’s eggs….and of course the first thing I do is bake pineapple upside down cake! It’s a step right? I’d probably take the protein powder to bake more, love the idea of muffins!
    First workout this week, Sunday funday of pilates class followed by lifting! My trainer is moving to Italy, trying to squeeze in my lastmoments with her :(

35. Gaby says

Workout 2 on monday: Yoga for my aching back! Then a bit more upper body weights to avoid hurting my back.

36. Gaby says

Workout 3 Tuesday: fitnessblender.com epic 94 minute bodyweight workout! Wow, who knew no weights would be so hard?

37. Mo says

Rock in’ it with workouts this week. Today’s #movehappy workout was a kinesis class and a few sprints.

38. Layne says

#movehappy workout today was a pre bootcamp run then strength bootcamp. Killer class, towards the end of the week workouts always seem harder, am I the only one?! Thankful to have a healthy and able body- easy to take even just walking for granted!

#MoveHappy No.2! Today I don’t have my CrossFit class in the morning and I won’t be able to make it to the gym tonight because I’m doing a demo at Freshmen orientation at my school (#GT represent!) so I pulled out my handy dandy resistance bands from my backpack and did an arm circuit in the staircase at work that no body uses. It felt great to stretch out and do a mini pump at work!

40. Chatelaine says

I enjoyed a slow but refreshing 3 mile run this morning. grabbed another pic of the stars and moon when i started #MoveHappy indeed!

41. Deb says

This morning I got in an early #movehappy workout with 20 minutes of legwork, a full core workout of planks (regular and side) and an easy 4 mile run. Happy Thursday!

I can’t say it enough– Zumba makes me #movehappy . Even when I have a full day of it going from a friend’s class to teach my own! Today was busy with dancing our bodies into shape, but boy did we have fun doing it! Might be sore tomorrow from all the booty shaking. ;)

43. Hannah says

Yesterday I road tripped from Atlanta to Nashville, but I still tried to squeeze some #MoveHappy in while in the car with three sets of 5 minute arm circles (one arm at a time :P ) It’s an easy way to work the arms a bit while being otherwise sedentary! :)

44. Chatelaine says

Last night’s #MoveHappy workout was an abs workout. Although I’m not exactly feeling it today I’m hoping my core is just super strong LOL, granted I did stuff my face with veggie straws last night………. not so smart

45. Chatelaine says

This morning was day 25 of my AB challenge for July and I broke out the very much needed foam roller!!! #MoveHappy maybe?

46. Kanoelani says

I got two #movehappy’s for Friday heheh!! Dancing at KAZAXE & then I went to this trampoline park. What a workout!! Sooo fun!!

my #movehappy was an intense tabata work out this morning. the 116 degree heat didn’t help, but i was dripping sweat by the end. i LOVE tabata work outs!!

yay for heather! and yay for plantains! you know i love them!!

48. Heather says

today my #movehappy was a long run of 14 miles! the longest since the last marathon i trained for. it felt great i had awesome weather!

1. […] day starts bright and early, but my support team woke up early to make sure I had what I needed. Laura made me breakfast – the same vegan pancakes I had last year, smothered in Earth Balance butter, […]

2. […] forget to log your #MoveHappy workouts on this week’s official post, so you can win this week’s prizes and we can encourage […]

3. […] week of #MoveHappy I joined forces with Heather!  Literally – I spent the entire week in Colorado. […]

4. […] week of #MoveHappy I joined forces with Heather!  Literally – I spent the entire week in Colorado. […]