Marvelous New Beginnings

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.

Anyone remember that song?

This weekend my family celebrated endings and beginnings.  My baby sister, Madison, graduated from college!  She’s the youngest, and the last to finish school.  Mom is celebrate not having that tuition bill – hahaha!

My cousin came along, and my other sister flew in from Portland to surprise Madi.  We loaded up the family and drove to Auburn, AL to celebrate the end of Madi’s college career.  Naturally, this started with a toast.  Or 20.

We dined in style at Auburn’s nicest restaurant, Acre.  I have been wanting to try it ever since sampling a collard wrapped sweet potato tamale the chef made at Atlanta’s Food & Wine Festival 2 years ago!  Seriously – here’s the post.

We ordered all the foods.  This is just a fraction of it!  The butter bean gnocchi was the coolest thing… but the dessert won the night.  We ordered the dessert board (bottom right below) with a sampling of everything… followed by seconds of the sweet potato bread pudding and the goat’s cheese-filled doughnut holes.  I get my love of food and wine honestly!

Acre in Auburn, AL

Let’s not talk about how we *almost* missed the graduation ceremony the next morning…

Once we safely made it to the ceremony, we toured the arena patiently waiting for Madi get her diploma.  Turns out the Tigers like to hate on my Yellow Jackets!

Auburn graduation 2014

Madi graduation

Hooray!

Back in Atlanta Saturday afternoon, I squeezed in a beautiful 5K run by the Chattahoochee River before heading to my mom’s for a grill out.  Those delicious eats must have done some good because it was my fastest in recent memory.  It could have also been the fear of what mom was going to say when she found out I went running instead of coming straight home for dinner as instructed.. ;)

The warm sunshine and home cooked food were the perfect way to celebrate a new chapter for everyone.  Change is in the air!  It’s an exciting time… the unknown can be a bit nerve-wracking, but life goes on and the future will be marvelous!

Chattahoochee River

I’m spending the day wrapping up things here so I can board the place to go visit Lucie in Switzerland tomorrow!!!

Do endings/new beginnings ever rattle you a little?

What did you do to celebrate your graduation?  I ate really good food.  Obv.

Comments

Congrats to your sister!! You all look beautiful.
    New beginnings are good, but scary – which I think is the good thing about it. It’s a challenge and challenges mean growth. I’m so wise.
    Don’t forget your swimsuit for Canyoning!! Woohoo!

Im so excited for you.
    and YES.
    the only way I get through it is by trying to focus on LOVING AND ENJOYING THE TRANSITION TIME!

I’d love to visit Switzerland – just watched the Amazing Race last night & they were there & the weeke before. Have a wonderful time!

Sometimes I need changes cause it just has to be to be right & survive.. :)

Your family is so cute, and you look great! Congrats to your sister! Yes, yes, yes new beginnings and changes rattle me, but I believe the discomfort and anticipation means that the change is worth it! HAVE FUN!

YES – I definitely get rattled by newness! We have a whole bunch of new people starting in my office today and I’m having a hard time focusing. Love the excitement of it all though :)

Congrats to your sis! I think I know what you mean – while new beginnings are exciting, they can also cause some stomach churning feelings!
    Safe travels to see Lucie – I am not very familiar with her blog- guess that needs to change!

Makes perfect sense though. What I really hate are endings. Well, most endings… some are quite welcome.

Semisonic! Loved that when I was in middle school. Am I dating myself there??

Anyway, congrats to the baby sister how exciting!!

I asked Patrick to let me know if there were any places in Switzerland that he really loved and he mostly goes for work, so not much time for sight seeing! I hope you have an amazing time!

Haha – if you are dated, then I am dated!

Switzerland was amazing… so many things to see and do!!!

Looks like you had an awesome weekend! I am seriously drooling over all the food that was had. Also jealous of the warm weather you experienced we are coming into winter here and it is starting to get so cold!

Enjoy Switzerland!!! Sure you will have a lot of fun :)

That dinner sounds amazing! And look at YOU wearing a dress! Congratulations to your sis…and your mom! ;) We went out to eat the night before my graduation…but it was nowhere NEAR as decadent (read: my dad was there so we ended up at a chain steak house.) Ugh! Haha!