Healthy Jicama Latkes

Latkes.

They’re not just for Hanukkah anymore!

Latkes are usually made with potatoes and are a traditional dish eaten during Hanukkah.  They’re also known as potato pancakes.  If you know me, you know I don’t like white potatoes and I’m not Jewish (though I adore matzo ball soup).  Also, it’s nowhere near Hanukkah.  Clearly a strange but good hack was needed!

Jicama Latkes

Never one to be bothered with tradition, I was determined not to let these little details derail me from an idea.  I wanted to use jicama and carrot to make latkes.

So really, these are just jicama and carrot pancakes… with a Mexican twist.  Why Mexican?  Why NOT?  I love Mexican food!

Jicama Latkes

Call it whatever you’d like, but these ‘cakes will have you celebrating Hanukkah in May.  The bonus is that they’re a bit healthier than the traditional dish.  They aren’t fried in a ton of oil and are less starch-y than a latke.  They cover all the buzz words: gluten-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly, vegetarian.  And they’re strangely easy!

Healthy Jicama Latkes

Jicama Latkes

• 1/2 jicama (~150 grams)
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1/4 C egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp Mexican spice blend

Grate jicama and carrot coarsely by hand.  Squeeze excess water.  Mix in a bowl with egg whites and your favorite spice blend.

Heat a bit or coconut oil or cooking spray in pan over medium heat.  Divide latke batter into 4 even parts and press into pan as a pancake.  Cook ~5 minutes on each side, or until latkes are lightly browned.

Plate and top as desired.  I served mine over greens and turkey, then topped it with salsa and avocado.

Makes 4 latkes.

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week? The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends! Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

I’m not home yet, but I’ll be making these again when I get there… especially after all the Swiss treats… #sorryimnotsorry

Have you ever had a latke?

What is your favorite healthy hack for a traditional recipe?

Comments

I’m still jealous of your jicamas but you know that. Either way, potato latkes – or: Kartoffelpuffer as we call them – were a childhood classic for me. I hope you made good use of your stay in Switzerland by eating a traditional ‘Rösti’.

My healthy hack is eating my kids favorite meal – spaghetti with beef meat sauce — on a bed of fresh spinach instead of the pasta. It’s actually really super good that way

Really?! I wonder if it’s just an South American thing and we’re close enough to get it here?

Really? They’re so easy to make! You need to try these… but you should do the “real” thing too. Top it with applesauce!

Thanks! I think. ;)

You could easily do these with a flax egg, or just sauté them into hash browns!

3. Stephanie says

I can eat an enormous quantity of latkes easily. Dangerous stuff. We make “latke recovery salad” every Hannukkah: romaine lettuce, celery, granny smith apples, and a honey, mustard, cider vinegar dressing. Scrapes all the oil down with the fiber!

Jicama sub for latkes: Turnips, Sweet Potato, Parsnip, Cauliflower.

4. elizabeth says

I know you add ACV to your aminos. I was at GNC the other day and the guy told me that adding an acid, like vinegar to aminos makes them less effective. Have you heard this?

I’m Jewish, so yes, I have had latkes. I like them with ketchup though, which isn’t very Jewish of me. You’re supposed to eat them with sour cream or applesauce. Potato topped with applesauce is strange but good.

I LOVE sweet potato latkes but never thought to make them with jicama, I wish I could get jicama out here but its SO hard to find! I used to eat jicama all the time whilst living in Cabo San Lucas I used that instead of chips ;) Lots of Love C

1. […] I would make up for it (you’re welcome). Thank you to our hostesses, Heather, Kierston, and Laura, for giving me the opportunities to unload my lunacy on you poor unfortunate […]