Current Obsessions + WIAW

I pride myself in not being a TV watcher.

Admittedly, I’ve even been guilty of judging.

I bought my condo 3.5 years ago and never bothered to get cable.  I’m never home and most TV shows seem silly anyway.  Who needs TV when you’re out living it up in real-time?

And then I was held captive on a long plane ride from Europe.

House of Cards

House of Cards.  The first 6 episodes were available in-flight.  I was hooked.  I landed and begged someone to share a Netfix account with me so I could finish Season 1… then I happily realized there is a Season 2!  Now I only have 2 episodes to go, and I’m hoarding them like a crack head.  I don’t want to run out!

It’s so out there, yet so very reflective of our society.  I’m at once shocked, appalled, riveted, and understanding.  This show is a total mind f*ck.  How will I survive until Season 3?!

This WIAW is back to normal.  I’m trying to get back on track with the results from my Alcat test.  I have no regrets from my Swiss vacation gluttony, but my gut took a toll!

WIAWbutton

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!

Breakfast:

My morning cocktail was followed by a fun oats in a jar creation.  I was gifted this jar of crack cake batter deliciousness from a friend.  If you are looking for something new to try, I 100% recommend You Fresh Naturals.  Be ware – it will become an obsession (no affiliation – it’s just awesome).

To my almost-empty jar I added a cinnamon egg white oatmeal mix, cooked quickly in the microwave.  I cooked them in a bowl and transferred them to the jar, swirling in a few chocolate chips and topping it with a chocolate protein muffin creation I need to perfect before sharing.

Oats in a jar

Mid-Morning Snack:

Shrimp salad made with red pepper hummus, onion, yellow bell peppers, and tomato.  The best discovery of the year is that Whole Foods will steam your shimp for you in-store while you shop.  Huge time saver… and it’s free!  Obsession-worthy.

Shrimp salad

Lunch:

Cod seasoned with another new Whole Foods obsession – a Thai Almond Meal seasoning.  It’s fabulously flavorful!  Eaten with radish, carrots, and a Korean sweet potato doused in cinnamon.

Cod and veggies

Afternoon Snack:

I turned my cheese-less Cauliflower Crust into 3 flatbreads for meal prep this week.  It’s obsession-worthy as it travels well and you can freeze batches for a quickie meal!

At work I topped it with no-salt deli turkey and tomatoes, and had a side of snow peas.

Turkey and cauliflower flat bread

Dinner:

With my new job, I’m not able to workout during lunch as much.  That fine, except that a late night in the gym means a late dinner.  I got home at 930p and wanted everything and nothing all at once. Does that ever happen to anyone else?

I pulled everything out of the fridge and ended up with a mushroom, turkey, and tempeh egg white scramble, mixed with my Healthy BBQ Sauce.  Side of sliced jicama (a repeat offender on the obsession-radar) doused with cinnamon.  That was plated over some greens… solely because I didn’t want a whole plate of brown. ;)

Random scramble

Dessert:

Once again, I continue my obsession with goat milk yogurt.  I (once again) mixed with coconut flour, Growing Naturals Chocolate Rice Proteincocoa powder, and cinnamon.  Topped with rice whipped cream, peanut flour, and more of the chocolate muffin experiment from breakfast.

The peanut flour is another lasting obsession.  I order mine from iHerb (use discount code USO924 for $5-10 off your order!).

Goat milk chocolate dessert

Best combined with current HOC obsession

But really though.  House of Cards.

Are you a TV person?  What show(s) have you gotten addicted to?  Clearly I need more ideas. ;)

What you obsessing over lately?

Comments

I’m obsessing over food as usual — lately it’s been the roasted grape tomatoes from the olive bar at Central Market . . . . and also watermelon (as always), Harvest Crisp snap peas as croutons on my salad, and caramel iced coffees.

I am not a tv person but I do watch it in the kitchen while I’m cooking. Lately I’ve been into the real estate shows, Househunters, Flip or Flop, Love it or List it and Property Brothers. I guess I’m a little obsessed.

Ah, I hate watching TV too and only watch the Walking Dead (even that I watch a week late online and not on TV!). But since I am going to college next year in DC, all the incoming freshman are raving about their love for House of Cards. So I think I am going to have to watch it this summer just to fit it, haha! But I have never heard one person not like it!

LOL. Oh Laura. I remember when I told you a while back how your (ex?) colleague looked like Emma Stone and you said…who? I hope in the near future, you will put 2 and 2 together.

Now can we appreciate how colour co-ordinated your meals are?

I am obsessing over young fruits…..aaaahahahahaa. I’m sorry :-)
    I need to get into this House of Cards thing. Or Game of Thrones? Everyone is raving about that one too – hmm, let’s see.
    Anyway, have you tried the tigernutboobbutter already? If so, tell Arman about how fabulous it is. He never believes me and thinks I’m crazy (so rude).

Haha, your description of House of Cards is pretty accurate! I definitely binge-watched that and also the other Netflix – Orange is the New Black. More recently, I’ve been catching up on Scandal. It is gooood.

I am totally not a TV person either. A month ago, I moved into a flat with a TV – my first in 3 years! I have watched it exactly twice, for no more than 15 minutes. I have Netflix but the only show I have watched in full in the past 3 years is Breaking Bad – I highly recommend it!

You get used to eating late at night. I used to work out around 4pm and eat dinner at 6pm, but now I don’t get to the gym until 6.30-7pm. With all the dilly dallying I do, I don’t get home until about 9pm, which means dinner isn’t ready until close to 10pm most nights. Dinner is my biggest meal of the day, so it inadvertently forced me to push back my bed time to 11-11.30pm. Oh well – it’s all in the name of gains ;)

The good news is I’m a night owl! Lunchtime workouts are just so much more fun… breaks up the day.

That nut butter sounds so good! I don’t watch tv often, I haven’t time with school and now I have only browsed a little and all the shows seem so bad. I haven’t seen house of cards though.

9. Sue says

I don’t watch a lot of TV anymore, mostly just news and a few series. Lately, I’ve been watching Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Vikings, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. I especially love the last two, must be the British accent. ;)
    Seriously, I highly recommend the new British Sherlock series! It’s so funny and witty, and the cast is amazing.
    I hate having dinner after 8 pm, that gives me heartburn. :(

I am not a huge TV person either – but am totally hooked to Nashville and am heading over to see if Growing Naturals Chocolate Rice Protein is totally lactose free…

I need to jump on the house of cards train, everyone says it’s amazing! Speaking of amazing, I’ve never seen that coco-nut butter before, but I’m pretty sure I need it now.
    Most recent obsession- dark chocolate almond milk. I’m drinking it out of the carton now, so I’m guessing it’ll be gone by the weekend!

Ohhhh Modern Family has me hooked! It’s just so sarcastic!
    And yes, the late night dinner issue is something I am all too used to. That’s why I tend to just eat a large snack and fall into bed after the gym..

That’s probably going to be what I end up with most of the time. Fish or chicken at 930pm is NOT appealing!

9:30??? I’m already in bed and hopefully snoozing LOL. I don’t watch a lot of tv, however, I got totally hooked on Parenthood. I started watching it with my Amazon Prime account while riding on my bike trainer. Seriously I would ride the stupid bike for an hour and a half just watching back-to-back episodes. I have blown through seasons 1-4 and am putting myself on a hiatus from season 5 momentarily b/c I don’t want it to end. Trying to find another show. Friday Night Lights is not that show by the way.

I’ve heard House of Cards is a good one to watch! Other addicting ones are Breaking Bad and Walking Dead (both of which are on Netflix).

I was that way about tv for 2-3 years. I was also working 60-80 hours a week and really didn’t have time for tv. All I had was a portable dvd player to watch movies on and I watched a couple of tv shows when I went to the gym. I kind of wish we didn’t have cable, but it’s there so whatchagonna do?

PS your colored words always trick me. I tried to click the “red pepper hummus” and no link lol. I recently made red pepper hummus at work but in a ginormous batch…I need to figure out how to cut it down and make it at home!

I’m obsessing over my spiralizer… I need to find more recipes to use it for… It’s a slight challenge because some of the spiralizer foods don’t live in the fridge well and I’m all about prepping in advance and minimizing my kitchen time. The only shows I watch on the regular are: Big Bang Theory (hilarious), The Challenge (love seeing the crazy athletic events they have to do), and the reruns of Law and Order: SVU (I think I was a lawyer in another life). I’ve heard great things about HOuse of Cards and my sister just gave me her Netflix password.

Big Bang Theory is probably the only regular TV show I’ve seen in the past couple of years that I loved. Couldn’t stop laughing!!

16. Meredith says

Oh my gooooood I’m obsessed with all of the Youfreshnaturals.. they make the best chocolate flavored nut butters too. The Cookie Dough and the chocolate chip cookie brownie batter are literally OUT.OF.THIS.WORLD. So creamy and drizzly :) Sorry my obsession is raging..

As for TV I’m always into the reality shows (So You Think You Can Dance, America’s Got Talent, Dancing with the Stars, etc) but I can’t stop watching Devious Maids on Lifetime.. It’s in its second season and literally every episode something connects to something else and it’s practically jaw dropping and SO ADDICTING!!

I LOVE House of Cards… I keep trying to make it last longer. I love Mad Men, too! Next up I think I’ll watch Breaking Bad… maybe.

I haven’t watched that before, but I have heard it is amazing!! I don’t watch a lot of TV because honestly I don’t have a lot of time to! haha. But I do love Big Bang Theory. That is a guilty pleasure :-)

That is a good one – I got hooked on it one summer and kept crashing a friend’s house to watch it on TBS. :)

I miss HOC terribly… Suits is a great show, one of my favorites (our new car is named after the lead character, Harvey LOL), and Orphan Black is a new obsession. Crazy CRAZY show. Both on Netflix! I love TV, and I’m not afraid to say it. ;)

Walking Dead isn’t my style, but I’m so happy to see everyone recommending it. It’s taped here in Atlanta! I saw them all walking down a big street one day outside my office. It was awesome!

I started watching the first episode of House Of Cards but didnt finish it yet. I keep hearing about it though! Perhaps I’ll keep watching and I’m sure I’ll get hooked. I got majorly addicted to Scandal and can’t wait until it’s back on!

A lot of people said they had a hard time with the first few minutes… but I promise it’s worth sticking with!

Ahh I need to restock peanut flour – just need to bite the iHerb p&p to the UK bullet! Funny story: saw pic of Mr Underwood and thought, gee he looks just like Kevin Spacey… oh. Really need to get into House of Cards!

House of Cards was amazing, but I have recently fallen so hard for a show in a way I haven’t since The West Wing and Firefly. I am instagram/twitter-stalking all the stars now. I don’t care. It is legitimately f*cking amazing and it has Megan Follows as well as several Australians and very attractive men and ARGHHHH I’m like a tween obsessed crazy person. Reign. No shame!

Reign? I’ve never even heard of that! Come see me and we can watch it after putting ourselves into a food coma at the place I’ve picked for you. ;)

1. I am a huge TV person. Oh, yeah.
    2. THAT JAR OF AMAZINGNESS.
    3. They will steam your fish for you, too… if you roll that way.
    4. I HEAR you on the appetite weirdity of wanting everything and nothing. Drinking a glass of wine while you decide is NOT recommended. Trust me on that. (0:

I don’t have time for house of cards yet, but believe me, I will once these exams are over – I have heard so much about the show!
    While eating your recommended eats of course :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

I’m SO intrigued that you like House of Cards. Admittedly, I only made it through the first episode, but I REALLY hated it because I feel like its portrayal of consultants is super stereotypical and not at all what consulting is like. Does it get better?

Yes and no… the whole thing kind of feeds on stereotypes, which made it not offensive to me. The consultant does get more developed though.

Before blogging, I used to watch a lot more television and read books too. All the time. Now, not so much although the Hubby and I have been watching the Breaking Bad series. We’re in season 2 and really enjoying it so far. Next on our list is The Wire, which everyone says is the best TV series of all time.

Gotta give it to you on actually plating AND taking the time to snap a pic of dinner…never would’ve happened for me! Heck, most of the time when I get like that, I’ll grab so many random things out of the fridge while trying to decide what to make that I’m not even hungry once I figure it out! Ha!

I know what you mean about the House of Cards thing…I watched the first two episodes of season 1 over at my parents house a couple of weeks ago. But seriously, did you ever doubt Kevin Spacey? He’s amazing in everything! Right now, I’m still holding onto my addiction to Game of Thrones…and I got a friend who’s gonna let me “borrow” her HBO so I can finally see what’s going on this season! Yay! <- I say this with a look of excitement AND fear on my face! Lol

How's that rice whip stuff? Worth the hefty pricetag?

SO many people have said Game of Thrones. It just didn’t look appealing to me… clearly I need to give it a shot though.

Rice whip is tasty… but it is really annoying that it quits working halfway through the bottle. It’s happened to me both times I bought it.

1. […] I know I said on last week’s WIAW post that after my Swiss vacation gluttony I’d be back on track… but you understand […]