Strong (Wo)Man

The gym is my happy place.

It really is the most relaxing part of my day.

Sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone.  We grow from challenges… so I decided to challenge myself to a Strong Man!  That may have been a bit of a crazy move, but whatever…

Bring It On Life

When I arrived at the Lee Haney event, I was surprised to find out that there was only one other female competitor.  That was really intimidating… there was only one other women willing to try this?!  She was really great though – her friendliness and outgoing attitude did a lot to calm my nerves!

First up was the Log Press.  It was a fail.  You were to perform as many clean and over head presses as you could in 1 minute.  I performed zero.  I got the 100 pound chunk of metal up to my chin, but it would NOT go over my head.  I tried 6 times!  I also bruised my chin in the process.

Bruise

4 days later…

Second was the Stone Lift.  You had 1 minute to lift a 70 lb stone as many times as possible. This was actually pretty easy – I could have done more!

I’m pretty good as long as I can use my legs for power.  The other girl got half a completion more than me.  If I hadn’t had a bad pass from the ball man, I would have tied her (which I think is cool since she had a solid 75 lbs on me).

Stone Lift

The Farmers Walk was next.  We had to walk 60 feet to a marker and back 60 feet (120 feet total) while holding 100 lb Farmers Walk Implements in each hand.  Again, not too hard.  I can use my legs no problem.

Farmer's Walk

The last event was the one I was most excited for – the Truck Pull!  We pulled a 4 door Jeep Wrangler for 100 feet using a shoulder harness.  Silly me thought this wouldn’t be too hard.  Get it started and it’s all gravy, right?  NO.

I struggled and slipped on the wet ground to get the thing moving.  They eventually gave the truck a shove and off I went.  Every step was a struggle.  I thought I’d give up a couple of times, but I did make it.

Truck Pull

I saw the pics at the end and wished I’d worn different leggings.  I look like a teeny little ant!  Is that shallow? #sorryimnotsorry

These are addictingly fun.  I have a goal of being able to do that log press and then I’m going to try for another!  There’s a whole lot to be said for getting out of your comfort zone and getting inspired!

The icing on the cake at the end was Lee Haney – 8x Mr. Olympia – recognized me and gave me a hug!

Would you ever do a Strong Man?  I know some of you have!

When was the last time you got out of your comfort zone?

Comments

Hell yes!!!! I love that you did this! We are proper strongman buddies now ;) The log is a bitch. You can see why I practice it 2-3 times a week haha. There is a comp coming up here with 200lb farmers. Yes, in each hand. I don’t know if I’m ready for that!

It’s so cool that you represented the ladies, although it’s a shame that more didn’t show up – a bit of competition is healthy. I’m currently in panic mode having FB stalked my competition last night. I can’t wait to see you do another comp!

Hell yeah! I already told me trainer I want him to get a log for the gym. In the meantime, I’m doing a lot more heavy shoulder presses. I’m so inspired by your success!!!

Yay!! congrats girl, you rock!!
    We had a Strongmanchallenge 2 weeks ago at Crossfit, but I wasn’t around. If I would have, I don’t know if I made it – there were some real cracks!
    Crossfit makes me go out of my comfort zone every time I go. And that’s exactly why I do it.

This looks like SO much fun! Right up my alley. I use to train at a gym with strongman competitors and I would always try to join in on the stone lifts but they didn’t have any under 120lbs and I couldn’t get it past my ankles lol The stone was too awkward. I love the keg toss that they do though!

That stone is SO awkward! I wish they’d had a keg toss. I’m on a mission to find a Strong Man gym!

You are such a go-getter! I love that when you want to try something… you just go for it! That really inspires me! I love the “sticker” or graphic under your bruised chin… LOL. You are so hardcore!!

Wow that’s really impressive. Good for you! I’m not sure I would have tried that. The gym is my happy place too! I love doing boxing drills w my trainer. I feel awfully tough with my pink gloves on-LOL. Good for you stepping out of your comfort zone. I’ve been trying to do that more. I started blogging a few months ago too and that is way out of my comfort zone but I love it.

Boxing is SO much fun! And a great full body workout. That’s so cool your trainer spars with you!

So impressive!! really cool to paritcipate in and definitely brave… everyone should put themselves out of their comfort zones more… I don’t think I would be brave enough, but would love to spectate. I’m debating signing up for a marathon for the fall—- wayyyy out of my comfort zone. btw you’re are a studding blue (not to sound like a creep).

Before I even got to the end of your comment I was giggling at brushing the tip. I heart you.