Sriracha Grapefruit Salmon

Who needs TV when you have Whole Foods?

Yes, I grocery shop for entertainment.

I had no need to be at Whole Foods last Saturday… but the salmon was on sale for $11.99 a pound.  Who am I to turn down a good price on salmon?  A pretty pink slab of fish in hand, I noticed the shrimp.  I almost passed it up because it had the shell and the tail, but the awesome fish guy said they’d steam and shell it for me while I shopped!

This isn’t about the shrimp (but did you know they’d do that?!).

Grapefruit Sriracha Salmon

As I wandered around waiting on my steamed shrimp, I clutched my salmon and thought about dinner.  There was some tasty-looking grapefruit in produce.  I had scallions in my fridge… and oh yeah, I just got cilantro from the farmer’s market!  Fruit is good with salmon… sounds asian-ish.  Clearly that needs heat.  Heat = sriracha.

Dinner was born.

Sriracha Grapefruit Salmon

I wasn’t positive it would work, but I mixed the marinade and hoped for the best.  After pouring it over my salmon I scooted off to Kroger to hit the Red Box.  There’s no point to my mention of Kroger except to point out that it made my 3rd grocery store of the day.  I rented Wolf of Wall Street (it was really good, but not for you if you’re opposed to the F-bomb or nudity).

30 minutes later I had my movie and prepped veggies while I cooked the salmon.  Fish is typically broiled in my house for 2 reasons (3 for salmon):

1. I’m impatient and broiling is the fastest way to cook something in the oven
  2. There’s little clean up – I can ruin a pan on the stove top in no time
  3. I prefer my salmon slightly undercooked raw in the middle.

I removed my salmon from the oven, scooped the marinade runoff over the top, and waited for a hot minute while it rested.  Suspense nearly killed me.  I had to know if it tasted as good as it did in my head!

It did.  The sweet, tangy grapefruit and the heat of sriracha were incredible together.  Don’t fear the rooster!  The rich salmon was pleasantly warm, but not “omg, pass me the milk” hot.

Sriracha Grapefruit Salmon

Marinating/movie-renting aside, it only took me 15 minutes to make this.  It tasted like something I’d pay $27 for at a restaurant.  I shit you not.

Enjoy your salmon for just $11.99 + a jar of rooster sauce.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sriracha Grapefruit Salmon

Sriracha Grapefruit Salmon

• 1 lb wild-caught salmon
  • 1 tsp garlic chili sauce (aka the garlic version of sriracha)
  • Juice + zest of 1/2 large grapefruit
  • 2 T cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • 2 drops orange liquid stevia (or other sweetener, if needed)

Place salmon in a glass baking dish.

In a small bowl, whisk together sriracha, grapefruit zest, and juice.  Stir in cilantro and scallions.  Taste and add sweetener, as needed.

Pour marinade over salmon and allow to marinate 30 mins in the fridge.

Turn oven on broil.  Place salmon in oven and cook ~8 mins, or until cooked through and flaky.  Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your fish.  (Alternatively, you can bake it at 400 degrees for ~20 minutes.)

Remove from oven, spoon run off marinade over the top.  Allow to rest 5-10 mins before portioning and serving.

I’m having a serious case of spring fever.  Wouldn’t adult spring break be marvelous?

Do you grocery shop for entertainment?

Have you ever broiled fish?  What’s your favorite way to prep it?

Comments

I need to start pairing my fish with sweet flavors more. I remember I once marinated my salmon with orange juice & balsamic and it turned out fab. Love the sound of this recipe- I also broil my fish for the same reason…oh and also because when I pan fry salmon, my kitchen ends up reeking long after I”m done eating.

Yummy Laura, that does sound good, I would definitely be willing to give it a go! I love salmon, and I definitely go for it whenever it is at a good price.

I LOVE grocery shopping! My boyfriend thinks I am crazy, but I do enjoy browsing the aisles and thinking of new things to create….so yes, it is entertainment :P

I’m yet to see Wolf of Wall Street but I really must get onto it as I’m not opposed to the f bomb :)

I am such a wuss when it comes to anything hot but you’ve convinced me this may be ok! It sounds delicious. My favourite way to have salmon is usually just pan fried and served with fresh mango. Nom.

I like to grocery shop for entertainment only if it’s TJs or a WFs in another city. Our WFs leaves much to be desired and carries almost none of the cool goodies I see other people talking about or that I’ve seen at larger stores. Oh well, at least we have one …

That’s so sad! I like that they are all different to allow for local stuff… but it sucks if that means it’s not as good!

I never would have thought of putting grapefruit juice with Salmon. I do love Siracha though so I’m definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

AH! Your salmon was on sale for $11.99 – NOT FAIR AT ALL!!!!!!!!! But oh well, I will pay TOP DOLLAR for that fish, it’s just wayyyyyyy too good!

PS: Whole Foods is my hang out… Much like some people like to go to the Bar or the Club – I go to WF… The WF I go to has a DJ too so… It’s sort of like I am at the club, except with little risk of getting Hep. C! AHHH HA HA HA!

Sounds delicious… I love to use Saturdays and Sundays to make a restaurant style/quality meal since I have a little more time. This is if I’m not going out to eat, haha. I LOVE grocery shopping, it’s kind of a bad habit… I just go buy food when the fridge is full. I also usually broil my salmon, sometimes on a bed of lemons wrapped in foil—> juicy and tender with a citrus kick!

I would even hang out at Whole Foods if nothing was on sale. I’m just plain addicted from far.
    I LOVE salmon and pairing it with grapefruit is genius! I am not the biggest fan of Grapefruit, but anything eith salmon tastes good.

That looks delicious and quite nutritious as well. And no, I had no idea they’d do that with the shrimp. That’s awesome. I just peeled two pounds a few nights ago. It’s not great lol

Opposed to the f-bomb and nudity? Who the FUCK are THOSE people?! 8O

You know, I never considered broiling fish until I met you…my family was never really a fish-loving family (or mainly just my dad) so the only sealife that ever made it to our table was when my dad worked late annnnnnd…they were more of the unusual species…some might call them a rare breed of sorts…alright, ok…they were fucking fish sticks! Seriously though, I never remember to broil anything…except Quest bars! ;) I guess I pretty much grill/pan fry everything since that’s my lazy way out!

The funny thing is that I broil things because I’m lazy. Put it on a piece of foil and you don’t even have a pan to wash!

1. […] Sriracha-Grapefruit Salmon over greens and peppadews.  I love peppadews.  No idea why I don’t buy them more often! […]