I’m learning to accept help.
At least when it comes to my gut.
After learning the results of my Alcat food intolerance test, I was determined to do whatever it took to fix it. With Megan’s help, I immediately eliminated the foods I’d developed intolerances to.
For a little more education, check out Lindsay’s post here. After doing some of my own research, I decided to take the following.
My Gut Health Supplements
- Aloe Vera Juice – Aloe is a detoxifier and an anti-inflammatory; it soothes the digestive tract and decreases the amount of unfriendly bacteria in your gut which keeps intestinal flora in balance
- Stress B-Complex – The B’s help to regulate adrenals, helping the body deal with stress (which has a huge impact on digestion)
- Matcha – Aside from the fact that I like the taste, matcha is a detoxifier and helps with relaxation
- Betaine HCL – Good for the producing the acid needed for breaking down foods and optimizing use of nutrients
- Probiotics – Regulates the healthy bacteria in the gut (and the lady parts)
- Colostrum - Antibodies from cows (vegans, cover you ears).… it’s touted as a “super food.” It protects the gut, helps the body to maintain proper metabolic levels, may have anti-aging benefits and increase muscle mass and muscle growth, and has been reported to have mental health and sleep-quality benefits. Further reading said it even shortens recovery time from strenuous exercise. If it works… whoa.
I ordered all of these from iHerb (where I also get my peanut four). Use discount code USO924 for $5-10 off your order!
This WIAW is week 2 with my food intolerances eliminated from my diet. I know I’ve slipped up a couple of times (I’m only human… a sad realization), but I’m militantly avoided everything in the most severe category.
Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!
My morning cocktail had the aloe vera juice added it. There’s no way I could take it straight – that stuff is foul!
I’ve been on a chia pudding kick lately. This morning I enjoyed my Pear Chia Pudding. It tasted better than it looks, I swear.
We went to lunch as a team today at work. I successfully ordered an olive oil-free meal at an Italian restaurant! (Olive oil is one of my severe intolerances.) Cobb salad with chicken and bacon. Yes, I ordered this 100% for the bacon.
Sriracha-Grapefruit Salmon over greens and peppadews. I love peppadews. No idea why I don’t buy them more often!
Having missed my mid-morning snack, I needed a mini-snack after work before I hit the gym. Just a bit of carbs and protein – I don’t want to be stuffed, but getting hangry half way through a workout is miserable.
Purple sweet potato with Growing Naturals chocolate rice protein sauce (powder + almond milk) and pepitas.
Without exaggeration, this might be the best thing I’ve put in my mouth.
That’s what she said.
I’ve been terrible about eliminating cow’s milk (per my food intolerances). I decided to try out goat’s milk yogurt to replace my Greek yogurt addiction this week. It is amazing – the creamy, rich quality makes it perfect for dessert! I mixed it with Growing Naturals Chocolate Rice Protein, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and a bit of vanilla. Topped with rice whipped cream, hemp seeds, and chocolate syrup. My topper was 1/2 broiled Cookies n’ Cream Quest bar (best flavor ever). I’m actually amazed I paused long enough for a pic.
I’m convinced it’s not a placebo effect… since eliminating my intolerance, I really do feel better!
Do you take any supplements for gut health?
Are you good about accepting help? I’m still working on this in other areas!