Kabocha and Black Bean Frittata

There’s something special about a hot breakfast.

Forget Folger’s in my cup – I want eggs!

As someone who is continually unable to get out of the door on time, hot breakfasts aren’t exactly practical.  This means food prep is especially important.  And it has to be high protein – I need stay-power!

I bring you the Kabocha and Black Bean Frittata.

Kabocha and Black Bean Fritatta

This savory breakfast bake is perfect to keep on hand and reheat quickly throughout the week.  It’s packed with veggies, so you begin your day with a nutrient-rich breakfast. You can customize your veggie mix and spices to your liking.  I was feeling Mexican.

Yo quiero desayuno.

Kabocha and Black Bean Fritatta

What I really love about this frittata is how thick it is.  You can add more egg if you want something more quiche-like, but I prefer the density.  It feels like I’ve had a breakfast sandwich!

I would be remiss if I didn’t call out Heather’s MMAZ ingredient – squash!  Of course I chose my favorite Kabocha; you could use anything here.  Kabocha is strongly encouraged though – the hint of sweetness the kabocha adds is fabulous with the warm Mexican spices!

MMAZ

It was indeed marvelous.  Check out more marvelous links on Katie’s blog!

Kabocha and Black Bean Frittata

Kabocha Squash & Black Bean Frittata

• Olive oil
  • 1 C cubed kabocha squash, roasted
  • ¼ cup diced red onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 C diced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 C frozen kale (can use fresh)
  • 1/2 C black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 C egg whites
  • 1 T nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • Fresh cilantro, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Spray or grease an oven-safe  skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion, sauteing until beginning to turn translucent.  Add red pepper, garlic, kale, kabocha, and beans and saute until tender, ~5 -6 mins.

Meanwhile, whisk together egg whites, nutritional yeast, and spices in a small bowl.  Transfer veggies to the bowl, stirring to combine.

Grease you skillet again, then pour in the eggs and vegetables mixture.

Bake for 15-20 mins, until the center is firm and no longer jiggles when you move the pan.

Cool for 10 minutes. Can store for 4-5 day in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

I’m on the road all week.  Bring it on, hotel breakfast bar.  I’m armed with protein, bro.

What is your favorite squash?

Do you prep breakfasts for the week?  What do you make?

Comments

I love Kabocha squash! I had the most amazing pizza in Maui with it along with red onion and crushed macadamia nuts. Bliss. I use mostly butternut however due to availability.

Okay, I am not really an egg person, but that genuinely does make me want to eat eggs! I am right there with you in that breakfasts need to be sustaining…..so why do I often have cereal then? Haha I am a hypocrite when it comes to that I guess….I cant give up my beloved cereal! Just means I snack earlier, but I NEED to make more breakfasts like this! I must try!

YUM!!! My favorite squash is spaghetti squash – so versatile! I have the same breakfast every morning – 2 fried eggs with a small slice of sourdough smeared with some avocado.

I’m so pissed right now. I have known for more than a year that I shouldn’t eat eggs because they make me feel like death – headache and exhausted… Well, after a year of not eating them, I made that amazing frittata recipe for my blog, scraffed that puppy down, didn’t feel tired after 4 days… But then BAM, smacked in the face by a flying bus. I was convinced it was something else though, so I kept on adding a little egg white to my delicious pumpkin bake thingy ma-jiggy…….. But… I think I gotta stop. Cause I about died yesterday from deathly exhaustion. My point? This recipe makes me very very sad because I cannot eat it. :(

This sounds so good! I would probably take it to work and eat it cold though, I love cold leftovers! These are pretty much all staples in my pantry, other than the red onion, so it would be super easy to prep for the week.

I saw that! Not prepping stresses me out… I think it’s the crazy hours I have to keep though. I’m at work til 7 or 8 most days!

I hate it when my eggs giggle in the pan too. ;)
    I love this. I’m going to try and recreate it tomorrow morning with the last of my acorn squash. I was going to make muffins, but this is so much better. Plus I don’t need a stupid waffle maker.

Love this! I mean, how could I NOT?! Eggs, kabocha, spanglish?? All it needs is some cojita! :D

I need to get better about prepping one thing a week. It’s nice to just come home in the morning after my shift and not have to work for food! Or even better, if it’s already made, I can take it with me and eat it before even leaving the hospital! #winnerwinnereggsfordinner ;)

1. […] was a recreation of Laura’s Kabocha and Black Bean Frittata for Heather’s Meatless Mondays, except I used Acorn Squash because that’s what I had […]