Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins

Elvis had it right.

Except for the whole dying on the toilet thing…

The King was known for banana and peanut butter sandwiches.  And music, of course.  That classic combo has been one of my favorites for years.  My mom used to make those sandwiches for us… with mayonnaise.  #strangebutgood from an early age!

Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Muffin stack

I left the mayo out of these muffins, but added chocolate.  They also contain protein.  Probably not strange to many of you, but my co-worker called me a “nut bag.”

(She calls me this In an affectionate way – she’s my tater tot-eating work wife.  Sometimes I steal a tot, but she never steals my food.  I win!)

Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Muffin insides

Anyway, eat these.  The bananas, Greek yogurt, and nut butter give these a rich but not-too-sweet taste and a velvet-like texture.

Once you pop, you can’t stop.

Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins

Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins

Inspired by Ari’s muffins

• 1 large ripe banana, mashed
  • 2 T Xylitol (or other sweetener)
  • 1/4 C plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 egg whites (6 T)
  • 3 T unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4 C nut butter (I used Onnit Cashew Walnut Butter)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 T melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 C flour (I used spelt)
  • 2 scoops (62g) vanilla protein powder (I used Growing Naturals Rice Protein)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 C chocolate (or carob) chips

In a large bowl, add banana, sugar, yogurt, egg whites, milk, nut butter, vanilla, and coconut oil in a bowl and whisk together until combined.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Add the dry to wet ingredients and stir together until just combined.

Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into greased muffin tins.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick come out clean.

Makes 10 muffins.

Approximate Nutritionals (per muffin): 131 calories, 5.8g fat, 38.6g sodium, 12.2g carbohydrates, 2.2g fiber, 2.9g sugar, 8.6g protein

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week? The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends! Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

Now I have “Love Me Tender” stuck in my head.

Are you a banana and peanut butter fan?

What’s your favorite Elvis song?

Comments

Flourless! Yes! This might be my new go-to muffin recipe. Only one way to find out… baking Sunday! Yeah banana & pb are up there in my top 10 combos. The mayo addition intrigues me… I know I’ve enjoyed the cheese + apple + pb combo many a time (to many a raised eyebrow…)

Why is it that peanut butter and banana just makes EVERYTHING that much more amazing? Thanks for leaving out the mayo though, and the bacon while you were at it. ;) These will definitely be happening in my kitchen STAT.

These look so damn good… I can’t wait to make ‘em! You’ve already changed my life by introducing me to Peanut Flour… And now my list of things/recipes to try making is humongous too. Jeesh!

I think this is the least strange but good thing you’ve posted! I’ve seen cake recipes that do have mayo in them. Sounds gross but kind of makes sense since it’s eggs and oil.

Oh yeah, thank you for the Love Me Tender in my head now :-)
    Chocolate and Banana is such an amazing combo – I would sub PB with AB, but whatever – these just sound amazing. AND they are made with my fave Protein Powder thanks to you! I can buy it around the corner of my office in Basel. I realized after ordering it twice from vitacost, ugh. #blonde #lol

6. cherie says

These are my favorite type of muffins to bake with my daughter! Yummy ingredients she can sneak bites of and a healthy snack for the week. Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

Answered Prayers! I have been hoping to find a recipe for protein banana choco-PNB muffins. Seriously, I’ve tried a few times on my own and have utterly failed. So I will be making these soon.

Ahhh, I’ve gotta try these!! Going to try to figure out how to make a vegan version of course, and then I’m all in. Maybe I will sub greek yogurt for coconut yogurt and egg whites for flax eggs… we’ll see if they’re nearly as delicious. Thanks for sharing! Anything peanut butter, banana and chocolate and I’m all in!

Xo, Jordan

That’s exactly what I’d recommend. You might do just 1.5 flax eggs though – those and the coconut yogurt are going to add more liquid than the egg and greek yogurt. Let me know how it works out!

I’m actually working on a granola recipe this weekend that I have dubbed The Elvis. Also in the works is The Greek, which is quiche recipe I’ve been playing with. So much recipe testing goodness this weekend, I think I’ll make that my Week In Review post.
    I love your muffins. I still want the cornbread ones. I wouldn’t say no to these either.

It doesn’t always work in a 1:1 ratio, so I usually try to leave a bit of the flour. I made plantain and zucchini muffins with protein powder too. They’re also good breakfasts!

Mmmmm they look great! I love recipes with greek yogurt, and if you cant stop eating them….there is one thing that shows :P They must be damn good!

Bahaha! I totally read that as once you “poop”…must be the lentils! ;) I’ve seriously been dreaming of these muffins since I got back home…and recovered! Ha! I have GOT to try this with my rice protein powder! Maybe just MAYBE it will be the one good thing that comes out of shelling out $15 bucks for that tiny jug of tastes-like-ass powder. Orrrrrrrrr, wait…maybe I could just use peanut flour? Even MORE peanutty than the original! Oh and I’ll be sure to add some bacon sprinkles!

Umm, well…lesson learned: Red lentils are more tummy friendly than green ones! Good thing I work alone! Lol

And I’m totally doing this with the peanut flour! Just have to get my ass in gear and put my iherb order through!

1. […] Laura @ Sprint 2 The Table: Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins  […]