5 Benefits of Drinking Water + WIAW

How much water are you drinking?

Some days I get half my steps in walking to the bathroom.

When I first met my trainer, he told me I needed to drink at least 124 ounces of water a day.  I’m not sure what I was drinking before, but it probably was barely half of that.

It was really hard at first, but after about a week my body adjusted.  I went from feeling like I was going to float away to finding myself craving more!

5 Benefits to Drinking Water

Original art by Allie Brosh

Why drink so much water?  We all know it can aid in weight loss and is good for the skin, but here are 5 benefits you may not have known:

1. Helps you build muscle – Water carries oxygen to the cells of your body, including those of your muscles; it enables your muscles to work harder and longer before they feel tired
  2. Cushions joints – Joints need moisture in order to remain strong and flexible; this mean your movements are smooth and pain-free
  3. Increases cognitive function – It ensures that your brain gets all the oxygen it needs, and ensures that your body’s electrolyte levels remain high enough to allow your nerves to relay messages to the brain
  4. Prevents fluid retention – Your body won’t try to retain water if it’s getting enough
  5. Burns fat - When you drink enough water, your kidneys don’t need extra help detoxifying your body, so your liver will be better able to metabolize stored fat more efficiently (not to mention it prevents constipation)

Bonus:If you have a desk job like I do, it keeps you moving at work.  Between getting up for refills and going to the bathroom, I think I’ve worn a tread in the carpet.

This WIAW I was catching up from shirking my responsibilities this weekend.  It’s food prep on the fly!

WIAWbutton

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!

Breakfast:

My apple cider morning cocktail was followed by a 2 part breakfast.  I started with roasted grapefruit while I was getting dressed:

roasted grapefruit

Then in the car on the way to work, I ate overnight TVP oats… in an almost empty cocoa powder container.  I prepped this awesomeness the night before and then stirred it up in the morning, adding a little more almond milk to thin.

Overnight TVP

Overnight TVP Oats (in a cocoa container)

• 1 8 oz container greek yogurt
  • 1/3 C TVP
  • 2 T oats
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp banana extract
  • Stevia, to taste
  • Almond milk, to thin
  • Almost empty cocoa powder container

Mix everything together in the cocoa container and place in the fridge overnight (or at least 2 hours).

Remove from fridge in the morning and stir.  Add additional liquid as needed to thin.

Lunch:

As I was plating my arugula, asparagus, chicken, and goat cheese salad in the break room, a guy I don’t know walked past and said “that looks much better than the crap they serve downstairs.”  This made me unnaturally excited.

I also enjoyed a new muffin creation… recipe to come!

arugula salad

Afternoon Snack:

I shovelled down another quick salad while I was on a conference call.  The arugula made another appearance, but this time I topped it with no-salt deli turkey, roasted slawmushrooms and red peppers, and a little greek yogurt blue cheese dressing mixed with nutritional yeast.

quick snack

Dinner:

I arrived home after work and a back and tricep workout STARVING.  Desperation was setting in, but I had swordfish to cook.  It was on special at Whole Foods this weekend and I excitedly bought an entire pound.  This is going to sound like it took forever but I promise you I had dinner on the table in 15 minutes.  Here’s how:

I fired up the grill pan and simply prepared the fish with lime juice, pepper, and fresh rosemary.  In the meantime, I roasted broccoli slaw in BBQ sauce under the broiler and warmed a slice of Seeduction bread (a Whole Foods item) from the freezer.  That bread was topped with a quick spread of mashed avocado and garlic. The swordfish only looks small because my bread slice was so big.  Did I mention I was hungry?!

swordfish and avocado spread

Dessert:

150 Calorie Chocolate Cake. Topped with more calories. :)

The topping was a peanut buttery creation consisting of peanut flour, coconut flour, Walden Farms sugar-free caramel sauce (it’s trashy, I know), and almond milk to thin.  I ate could have eaten it by the spoonful.

150 Calorie Chocolate Cake

I’d write something witty here, but I have to pee again.

How much water do you drink each day?

Do you co-workers ever look at your prepared food with envy?

Comments

Water is always the hardest part for me. If I don’t carry a bottle around with me at all times I probably wouldn’t drink any all day. It’s something I have to be really conscious of!

If anything I OD a bit on water – when my pee turns clear I know I need to put the bottle down! Good to know just how good it is though ;)

Thank you for the motivation to drink my water! I am a good drinker (lol) but sometimes I just forget about it.
    That peanut buttery mix sounds so good! I love mixing coconut flour into everything! Lately I use it in my eggy oats and it tastes like sweet bread.
    The Caramel Sauce I find nasty, but I actually like the Syrup from Walden Farms. Trashy, but ok.

Hahah I know the feeling! I am constantly drinking water, and yes constantly going to the bathroom. Yesterday in a restaurant I went twice during the time we were there….my friend did not go at all. In the summer it is even worse! I use a nalgene to make sure I get enough, and in the summer, 9 miles a day burns off a lot of sweat! My family have all got their own nalgene now though, so I guess that helps remind everyone. Although I like your idea of getting up and down, also helps with the sitting for too long thing!

I definitely get the envy tall the time about prepared foods from my coworkers. They always say they don’t “have time” to make lunch……well then MAKE TIME! If I can be at the University from 8am-9:30pm, and I have packed all my meals, surely you can make a sandwich!? Sorry to vent there haha!

I wider how my friends don’t go more! I always have to take the outside seat because I have to get up so much.

I need to pick up broccoli slaw again… so many possibilities. I was much better at drinking water in an office job than I am now working from home. I don’t necessarily sit at a desk very often, so there’s no obvious reminder to keep drinking. Need to work on this!

Hey! Lovely blog. :) It is my first time here!

I loved your post dedicated to drinking water. Not many people drink enough!

I actually try to drink tons of water throughout the day. It is super important! I have my nalgene bottle with me at all times!

I have actually been told “you drink a lot of water.” I think it is because I am up every two seconds walking over to the bathroom. :/ Pros and cons I guess!

But yes, it is super important to drink water! Drink drink drink. :)

Happy Wednesday!

I’m definitely a huge water drinker, which makes me laugh because I’m pretty sure that 5 years ago I would maybe drink 1 bottle a day (and then there was all the diet coke…)
    and considering that the closest I have to a co-worker is the pug, I think it’s safe to say that yes, he does look at my meals with envy.

8. Kelsey says

I compete in the NPC as well (bikini division) and drink almost 2 gallons of water a day. I am ALWAYS peeing but like you said, when you have a desk job it is somewhat of a relief to get up an moving! Normally I would say I get compliments on my prepared meals but the closer it gets to a show I just get complaints from the stench of the re-heated fish and asparagus ;)

I don’t usually measure how much water I drink but I drink A LOT naturally. I’m always a peeing machine haha. Every time I’ve tried different diets or workout regimes drinking water is not something I have to work on lol. Good to know that I’m getting some benefits from my crazy water consumption though! Also hot damn your toast with avo is so simple but just looks SO GOOD.

I have been working SO hard on my water habits it can be hard to get it in due to the constant bathroom breaks BUT I always see a HUGE difference in not only my body but my SKIN, my face clears up and looks smoother and I of course feel better! Cheers to WATER MANIA xo C

It does wonders for skin! They did some comparison for twins – one drinking a lot of water and the other barely any – and their skin differences were HUGE.

I neeeeeeeeed to drink more water. I always have a 32oz bottle with me and I’m lucky to get through one in a day. It’s super cold in my office most of the time so I have a hard time drinking cold beverages when I’m shivering! I do much better in warm weather!! And yes – my coworkers are particularly jealous of the banana oatmeal I make most mornings…because it makes the office smell soooo gooooddd!!

Haha, thanks for the pros on water! I drink a lot of a day. Probably close to 120oz a day. I have a 24oz container I have with me all day and I drink at least four of them just at my desk at work everyday and then I try to have one during a workout or after a workout and then all throughout the night. My mom is always telling me shes never seen anyone drink so much water before haha. Like you said though, as I started drinking more the happier my body was. Some days I have off days, but the majority of the time I am pretty good about it!

BTW, what is that Seeduction bread?? I have never seen it!

Seeduction bread is the BEST! It’s from Whole Foods. You can ask for it par baked – it’s half baked and stored in the freezer when it arrives at the store. Then you take it home and finish it in your oven. It’s like having fresh bread!

Wow! I drink about half of that and think THAT is a lot. I am going to start drinking more!

When I first began upping my water to the 64 oz per day, I felt like my body was overwhelmed… and not only did I have to pee every 3minutes, I also wanted to CRY. I think I just needed to release all the fluid.

But, dang, I am gonna do it… off to get another drink!

I’m a huge water drinker – I have my Bubba Keg of water with me all the time!! When I worked at a school people used to comment on my huge cup of water but over time, lots of them started drinking more water, too!!

Roasted grapefruit? I am intrigued!
    All that dinner in 15 minutes – girl, you are gonna have to start giving time management/cooking classes!

I upped my water intake last September – and you are so right – just crave it now, not to mention my joints aren’t as achy after a long run!
    Happy WIAW!

It’s all about being able to do it simultaneously. Just prep your sides while the protein cooks and it’s easy!

I drink a ton of water, typically go through my 750 ml camel back at least 4 times a day. I get horrible headaches if I’m not drinking enough water. I’m thinking that chocolate cake might have to be dessert tonight or tomorrow :)

I drink water all day!! My coworkers think I’m crazy because I am always walking to the water cooler to refill my water tumbler, then 30 minutes walking to the bathroom. I am also the Queen of Leftovers at work. I rarely go out to lunch because I’d rather bring my own food!

Haha I go through at least 2 big water bottles a day because of uni! But I have no shame, I adore it (though it does make me pee ridiculously…)
    Now… moving on.. can I please eat your delicious chocolate cake :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

roasted grapefruit – need to try that, just got some grapefruits too :)
    we range in how much water we drink depending on our schedule and how thirsty we are, we try to listen to our body and drink water when thirsty (try not to over do it for us at the moment) to help with our constipation and such.

Looks like a great day of food!

I’m also a big water drinker. Years ago I discovered that if I drink water before coffee, the coffee perks me up better and lasts longer so that I will end up drinking less coffee over the course of the day (or all-nighter).

I get occasional comments in the office on the fact that most of my food is homemade. I rarely make anything specifically for lunch; it’s just leftovers. Doesn’t anybody else cook at dinnertime? Today I am eating split pea soup packed in a reused salsa jar.

Your graphic at the top has your URL on it but doesn’t appear to credit Allie Brosh, the artist. She’s pretty cool and I think deserves to have her name kept on her art. Ideally you’d even have her permission to use it. Did you know she has a book out now? It’s hilarious!

Let me know if you try it! It gets deliciously juicy and you can add toppings to your liking. It’s good savory, too!

Omg, that sign off! Haha! “Roasted” slaw, huh? I think you’ve been reading Stuft Mama a bit too much! Lol! Was that dressing one of the OPA ones? I’ve GOT to get me some of that bread…whenever I make a dent in the “bread shelf” in my freezer that is! 8O Oh and I just have to comment on your brilliance to use the cocoa container for your oats! Love it!

I’ve seriously become a camel since this weekend…even BEFORE the hangover! Haha! For the last few days, between my regular water and LaCroix, I’ve been averaging over 100oz!

Gurrrrrl… I’ve been copying Mama for a while there. Burnt veggies are the best. ;) And yes, that’s the OPA. Yes, you should try it. And the bread. And the cocoa. All with a side of water (not wine… at least not for 19 more days).