Waffle Tacos + WIAW

The green-eyed monster has struck.

Isn’t envy a deadly sin?

I see waffles everywhere.  All the cool kids are posting pics on Instagram.  I am big enough to admit… I’m jealous!  I know I could purchase a waffle maker, but I just don’t have room for more in my kitchen.  They aren’t really that different from pancakes and I can make those quite easily.  (<–That’s what I keep telling myself.)

Then I saw this:

Taco Bell Breakfast Waffle

Photo: Taco Bell

Taco Bell announced it is coming out with a waffle taco; the “AM Crunchwrap.”  No, I don’t want Taco Bell.  I’ve actually never eaten at Taco Bell.  What I is to make my own Mexican waffle!!!

This weekend might bring a waffle maker to my house.  This WIAW I (happily) settled for breakfast nachos.

This WIAW I felt a little scattered.  Between a dentist appointment and work, I actually almost forgot to eat!  Almost.  Who could forget about a sandwich on pretzel bread?!

WIAWbutton

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!

Breakfast:

My apple cider morning cocktail was followed by nachos.  I know a lot of people are either sweet OR savory breakfast people, but I like a good mix.  This was a savory morning – I made my Jicama Nachos!

I followed my original method for the jicama chip base.  Rather than using tofu in the recipe, I added protein with a mix of cottage cheese, nutritional yeast, cumin, and paprika.

jicama nachos

Lunch:

I treated myself to an old favorite for lunch – Souper Jenny.  Jenny and her crew make a fresh menu daily; it’s filled with soups, salads, and sandwiches.

When I saw the daily menu email, I couldn’t pass up the grilled chicken with avocado spread, tomato, pepper jack, and greens on a pretzel roll.  I had a side salad with goat’s cheese, apple, and toasted pecans… and half a cookie (I shared with a co-worker – selfless portion control!).

Souper Jenny

Afternoon Snack:

Steak.  I’ve been craving it like crazy lately!  I seared a couple of filets to bring to work this week.  I enjoyed it with snow peas and mustard dipping sauce (a surprise from Heather!).

Steak

Dinner:

I had this at work pre-workout.  Swordfish with a roasted shiitake and roasted cauliflower tossed in vodka tomato sauce.  It’s brown.  There’s just no way of making that look pretty in tupperware.  It was really good fuel though!

Brown food

Dessert:

Carrot Cake Batter with some coconut flour to make it even more cake-like.  Topped with cocoa powder sauce and sprinkles.  Sprinkles are usually reserved for celebrations… but I’m having a rough time at work and I’m choosing to lighten things up with sprinkles.  It’s as good a Valium, I’m sure…

Carrot Cake Batter

Friday, Friday, Friday…

Do you prefer a sweet or savory breakfast?  How about brinner?

What do you do to lighten things up when you’re stressed?

Comments

I can honestly say that I have never forgotten to eat in my life. And probably never will.

I love a savory breakfast, any time. (My husband is the total opposite). My new find is grilled tofu sprinkled with a little black salt, served with toast. It tastes exactly like an egg (something that I admit that i miss occasionally in my vegan-ness).

Clearly I ain’t following any COOL PEOPLE on Instagram because I don’t see WAFFLES! My goodness, now I gotta go search #waffles – and see what I FIND! Man, I cannot even remember the last time I ate a waffle. I’d totally get a waffle and make MEAT WAFFLES – #STRANGEBUTFU**IN’GENIUS!!

That might be enough to convince me to buy a waffle iron myself! I’m definitely a savoury breakfast convert, but I love how eggs can go either way. Oooh and a sweet/savoury combo is always an option ;)

PS YES to mustard and sugar snap peas! I thought I was the only one…

I’m a savory breakfast fan all the way! The sweet stuff just doesn’t keep me full.
    Brinner = breakfast for dinner? I love that! Especially pan-fried potatoes or tofu scramble.
    I’ve had a waffle maker for a couple of years but have hardly ever used it. I should probably dust it of and try it again.

All about sweet!!! Love sweet breakfast, love brinner, basically I love anything sweet…..which sometimes can hamper my training, but it makes me too miserable to not have it! Carrot cake batter?!!? Are you kidding me! YES PLEASE! Right now!! Even at 7:30am :P

Sorry to hear you have a rough time at work!! Time to move :-)
    I am the same as you when it comes to the waffle iron. I find it pretty cool and drool over waffles pics, but purchasing one, only for the few times I will make them…..and the space?? Where? But who knows, I will maybe buy one if I see waffles on your blog too.

I have not had Taco Bell in at least 6 years and I am totally okay with that! I think a recipe recreations for this new menu item they have is a MUST! If anyone can do it, you can. :)

You have to let me know how it is. I can’t start eating Taco Bell now! I’m like an anti-streaker. ;)

You’ve never had taco bell??? That’s like some sort of crazy partying right of cheap college passage LOL. The thought of it makes me kind of ill now. I used to love their meximelts and recreated them at home using TVP. I guess I don’t get all the waffle love. I’m a rebel like that haha

I love both sweet and savory! Some days I want just one or the other, but most the time a good mix is the way to go for me. And breakfast for dinner is always a winner! ;)
    I definitely workout to lighten things up! Nothing like a surge of endorphins and lifting heavy things to release stress!

I have been too busy to eat before, but I’ve never forgotten to do so. Thus why I now basically look like a mom at all times because I carry a huge quanity of snackage with me wherever I go should the opportunity not present itself.
    Also, I am just to the point where I have no shame, so sue me :D

Same here! Someone actually commented I’d be good with kids… I think I’ll stick to just feeding myself. ;)

The whole idea of Taco Bell having waffles is weird to me! But waffles – we love them and I should make them for my boys more often!!!
    I try to watch/find funny things online when I’m stressed!

While your eats look delicious, I can’t stop thinking about that taco waffle!!! I actually went to make waffles this weekend and then I realized I had given away my waffle maker because it was taking up too much space and I hadn’t used it in a while, of course! Now I really, really want it back. Do you think Goodwill do takesy-backsys?!?!

OMG THAT SANDWICH. That’s all there is to say. It looks beyond amazing.

Waffle tacos… I can’t wait to see if you try them out. They would be amazing, I’m sure! Taco Bell… just… ew.

Ha leave it to taco bell to create something like that. I have been LOVING on waffles lately. i got a waffle maker for Christmas and use it just about everyday! I think there’s always room for one more kitchen item :) especially if it delivers delicious sweet waffles!

I love that Taco Bell knows its niche. Like, “what would stoners like more than the taco in a Dorito shell? A breakfast waffle taco.”

I really need to try your jimaca nachos! I’ve made jimaca fries ONCE but it was so long ago that I don’t even remember how they tasted. Wait, maybe I made yucca fries? Oh hell, now I really have to make them…with an egg…and a side of waffle because *I* have a waffle maker! Come to Tennessee…get away from all the work bs and I’ll feed you! Sounds like a win/win to me! :D

Probably yucca fries… I dunno about jicama fries… it’s seems to MOIST of a fruit unless you sliced them like shoestring. Or maybe that’s just me.

And yes. I will come and demand waffles!