Tagalong French Toast + A Broccoli Weekend

I could eat a box of Tagalongs in one sitting.

Thankfully I haven’t proven that, but I’m sure I could.

While I was snowed (iced) in last week, I decided to make myself a healthier version.  One that I could eat an entire plate of.  And I did.

Tagalong French Toast

I started with a version of my childhood favorite french toast, only I added cocoa and sauced it with a peanut “syrup.”  You really can’t go wrong with a chocolate-peanut butter combo.

I topped it with toasted almonds to add a crunch to the fluffy toast, and then decided I needed a serving of fruit.  Blackberries were a lovely jammy compliment to the peanut butter.

Tagalong French Toast

The recipe is at the bottom of this post, but first I must share some Broccoli marvelousness.

The fabulous Heather came for a Valentine’s visit this weekend!  We spent Friday at my mom’s house with another friend.  We enjoyed some bubbly and a cheese spread while strategizing dinner in a mini-version of Chopped.

Valentine's

We ended up making sea bass with a herbed panko and pistachio crust for dinner.  This was roasted with purple sweet potato and tomatoes, and served over a bed of greens.

It’s not Valentine’s without dessert!  I’ve never been able to choose between desserts, so I made a sampler plate of a chocolate pie, rum cake, berries, and my #strangebutgood contribution: Chocolate-Beet Cake with a dollop of beet cream cheese icing.  The cake was based on this recipe by Ari.  I bastardized made some tweaks to the recipe… I need to make it again to get it perfect before sharing my own version.

Valentine's Day

We had lofty goals of doing more than eating a drinking!  The next morning we bounced out of bed to go to my gym for Glute Camp and a shoulder workout led by one of my trainers (Hi Jesse!).  I was excited to show Heather my gym, and for another surprise visitor – Sarena joined us for the workout!

It was a killer 2 hours – Sarena and Heather hung like champs.  I knew they were strong women, but I was really impressed with the weight they were moving during our shoulder workout!

House of Payne

If you’re ever in the Atlanta area, we’d love to have you for Glute Camp!  It’s 10:30-11:30am every Saturday morning at House of Payne.  There is also posing practice after.  It’s lead by Steve, one of the best coaches in the field, for those of you who want to compete!  It’s 12-1p, and covers all categories (men and women).

Then, in true blogger fashion, we went to the massive farmer’s market and Whole Foods.  Followed by a delicious Italian dinner and concluding with… drum roll…

Chocolate-PB Mousse

Chocolate peanut butter mousse cake. #faceplant

Tagalong French Toast

Tagalong French Toast

For the Toast:

• 2 egg whites (6 T)
  • 1/2 T cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp butter extract (optional, but not really)
  • Stevia (or other sweetener), to taste
  • 2 slices of bread

For the Peanut Butter Syrup:

• 1 T peanut flour
  • 1 T Greek Yogurt cream cheese (or regular yogurt)
  • 1-2 tsp maple syrup
  • water, to thin

In a medium bowl whisk together the toast ingredients.  Place the bread slices in the mixture, pressing down and allowing the bread to soak in the egg.

Place soaked bread in a greased pan over medium heat.  Cook until bread has “poofed” up and firmed a bit, about 3 mins each side.

Meanwhile, mix together the syrup in a small bowl.

Plate toast and our peanut butter syrup on top.  I also added toasted almonds.

Enjoy!

I am so grateful for the friends I’ve made through blogging.  It was such a marvelous weekend.  Check out Katie’s blog for more marvelous blogger starts to the week!

What is your favorite Girl Scout Cookie?

Who’s going to Blend???  Registration opened last night!

Comments

This will all be recreated when I visit. Also, is that cake from the infamous Italian place you always mention to me? If not, we’re getting that cake too. I really wanted to coincide my trip with blend but no can do- work is whipping.

AHHH I Am so so so blend-tempted this year after hearing about all the fun and missing OUT so many years in a row…
    first to find child care!

I’ve bought tag-alongs, but my kids always finish them off before I can get one! I do love the thin mints thought! The French toast looks yum — peanut butter sauce, heck yeah!

Haha, you are gonna laugh at me, but I literally did not know what a tagalong was until I read your questions….I am guessing it is a girl scout cookie?! In which case my favorite is the samoa….as it is the only one I have tried!

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend! You can never have too much dessert…..well, I like to think so :)

Thin mints and samoas are my faves. OMG I know I could eat an entire sleeve of the thin mints with ease too! And I’m so jealous you got to hang with Sarena. I saw the pic on instagram and I was instantly jealous that I wasn’t invited ;-)

Gosh darn I have not had french toast in SO LONG! I love the addition of the cocoa powder. Genius! Do you know that I have never tried peanut flour. Am I missing out? HA! Thanks for sharing! :)

I kind of want to attend BLEND – would it be weird? I’m not a huge blogger but I read ALL OF YOU GUYS every day! Gah! I’d be such a fangirl the whole weekend.

I love tagalongs… I’m with you on the eating a whole box thing. They’re so good! I’ve also started to really like samosa, too- they’re my sister’s favorite. The french toast looks scrumptious! Basically anything that has chocolate and peanut butter is a yes in my book.

Tagalongs were my favorites! I’m gonna have to do this!

Also, holy crap did I love that workout! It was fun to lift with people! The group at that gym were so friendly and so inspirational! Now I want to work more on getting a round lifted booty! :)

Didn’t Heather make Samosa pancakes once? You should make Samosa doughnuts!!!

No posing… but we tried to convince them! ;)

Last night I was trying to explain to one of the guys I train with why blogging/social media is so amazing – all four of the ladies I train with originally contacted me through my blog, and they are now my best friends! He doesn’t even have a facebook account (he’s 24, but ancient on the inside lol) so doesn’t get why you would befriend strangers. Ah, the joy of the internet!

I would love to train with you one day! We can do some drop sets and curls so long as we get to play with the tire ;)

I am beyond jealous!! I want to hang out, go to Glute Camp and eat cake (and not necessarily in that order!) damnit! Ha! Looks like you girls had the perfect Valentines weekend! I’m not really one for the soppy / hallmark stuff so fun with friends is perfect! :)

Ah! I knew that was Heather! I saw a pic of you guys on your FB but wasn’t sure and didn’t wanna look stupid if I said it was her but it didn’t end up being her, haha. You understand.

Anyway sounds like an awesome weekend, the french toast sounds great (duh) and Chocolate peanut butter mousse cake looks nothing short of orgasmic!

xo

1. […] been once before, I thought I’d be able to handle myself when Laura and I went this past weekend, but I’ll be damned if I wasn’t sweating ten minutes after […]