Strange But Cheesey

What do you call cheese that isn’t yours?

Nach-yo cheese!

Today’s post isn’t about nacho cheese.  It’s about cream cheese.  However, if you know me you know that I love that joke.  Any excuse to share. :)

We do have cheese today!  Greek yogurt cream cheese.  I buy mine from a local company called Atlanta Farm Fresh, but I’ve started seeing it from larger brands.

Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese

I’m not a big cream cheese fan, but I love the texture and the taste of the yogurt-based version.  It’s less thick and rich – normally not a positive to me, but it always bothered me that cream cheese sort of sticks to your mouth.

I’ve been on a role using it for sweet and savory breakfasts, and for dessert.  It may have resulted in some strange spreads, but they were good!  Below are a few ways I’ve used it this week.

PrOATein Pancakes with Maple-Cinnamon Cream Cheese

PrOATein Pancakes with Maple-Cinnamon Cream Cheese

• PrOATein Pancake
  • 2 T cream cheese
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp butter extract (optional, but not really)

Prepare pancakes according to instructions.  Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl.

Plate pancakes and slather with creamy, maple deliciousness.

In the Atlanta, we don’t have a lot of lox and it’s hard to find a good bagel.  This is my Southern version of a New York classic breakfast.

Southern Breakfast Salmon

Southern Breakfast Salmon

• 1 tortilla, toasted and sliced
  • Salmon
  • 2 T cream cheese
  • 1 T finely chopped parsley
  • Red pepper flakes, to taste

Slice and toast tortilla and remove pre-baked salmon (mine was done with lemon and dill) from the fridge.

Mix together cream cheese, parsley, and red pepper flakes.  Spread onto tortilla slices.  Top with salmon and more red pepper flakes, if desired.

Zucchini Batter with Butterscotch Cream Cheese Protein Spread

Zucchini Batter with Butterscotch Cream Cheese Protein Spread

• Zucchini Batter Protein Bowl
  • 1 T cream cheese
  • 1 T vanilla protein powder
  • 1/4 tsp butterscotch extract
  • Water, to thin
  • Optional cherry on top

Prepare zucchini bread batter and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Add water (or milk) slowly to reach desired consistency.

Spread atop the batter and top as desired.

I could have stopped there with the cherry a chocolate drizzle.  But why?

Zucchini Batter with Butterscotch Cream Cheese Protein Spread

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week? The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends! Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

It's Friday and I have no plans for the weekend other than then gym tomorrow.  I am elated.

Do you like cream cheese?  Have you tried the Greek yogurt version?

What is your favorite dessert bowl topping?  I'm all about the popcorn crunch!

Comments

Oh my! I’ve never heard of it, but very interested in trying it. What is the percentage of fat? My son is on a ketogenic diet so he needs full fat whole yogurt. Your recipes look delicious!

I would say all of those look pretty good! I like cream cheese, but would rarely go buy it as I cant get through it fast enough, but greek yogurt may be a different story! I love all the other flavors too! Yum!

Can we please cook together sometime? Jason was saying something about my lunch last night how it looked awful but he bet it was packed with just about every vitamin and nutrient ever needed. I laughed and was telling him my lunch was NOTHING compared to a few other blog friends’ haha He actually wants me to make my lunch for him so he can try it!

That is so funny that you bring this up. I just saw this greek yogurt cream cheese at the store the other day and bought some and made spinach dip with it (because normally you make it with cream cheese), it was SO good!

I will have to try and find this brand!

My office is moving out of the ATL Fresh office park complex. Sad face. No more walking to their store to get yogurts (or cream cheese, which I’ve never had their version of.)

Talk about an artful drizzle on the zucchini bowl. It’s like a master piece, made of cheese. Will you come drizzle all my sauces please?
    By the way, you are not ever allowed to tell me, it’s not my cheese. You have to share with me. It’s a rule. It’s in the Book and you must adhere to the Book.

1. That butterscotch sauce is going to be made ASAP, and it will be going on the first item of food appropriate for said drizzling that I consume!

2. I love cream cheese. I recently found and tried Greek cream cheese. I found it very similar to “standard” cream cheese. I have wanted to try farmer’s cheese.

3. On the subject of cheese jokes; that’s one of my personal favorites. Which is definitely saying something… you can imagine I have heard it all since taking my husband’s surname!

I’ve been wanting to try farmer’s cheese too! I guess it’s just another cream cheese-like spread?

P.S. I envy your last name.

• says

I think it might be the same as, or similar to dry curd cottage cheese. I keep seeing dry curd cottage cheese mentioned every so often on various blogs, but have never seen it in stores. The farmer cheese I have seen, but never purchased because I didn’t know what to do with it.

That is the first time I have had anyone express envy over my last name!

I’ve tried the Green Mountain Farms brand of Greek “spreadable cheese”. It was garlic and herb flavor and I swear I put that shit on EVERYTHING! The two tub package I brought home from Sam’s Club barely made it two weeks! Ha! I love it with scrambled eggs…there’s just something about that combo!

I’m actually with you though, I’m not normally a big fan of cream cheese…I’ve been eating it lately just because I found a box in the back of my fridge a few weeks ago…that expired innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 2012! 8O Hahaha!

1. […] di da di DEE, would ya look at that? ANOTHER reason to use my favorite button! Now head on over to Laura’s #strangebutgood world and see what other creative dishes pique your […]

2. […] These have a light, spongy texture and  subtly sweet lemon taste that comes naturally from the ‘secret’ veggie ingredient and the addition of a bit of lemon stevia! Strange but good for sure! […]

3. […] Lauras Strange But Cheesy post couldn’t have come at a more perfect time because last night I just so happened to pick up a container of Greek Yogurt Cream cheese and came up with a recipe to boot! The brand my grocery store carried is Green Mountain Farms and the recipe I came up with is a #StrangeButGood Hot Halibut and Crab dip. […]

4. […] Needless to say, I didn’t waste anytime devouring opening that jar.  It was fabulous atop a #strangebutgood protein cake for breakfast!  This creation was based on the protein loaf Debbie linked up. […]