Luck or Fate?

Is “luck” real?

If we create our own fate, then nothing is really sheer luck…

Whatever the case may be, I felt pretty lucky this weekend.  To start it out right, I was lucky to be invited to a preview lunch for the Atlanta Food & Wine Festival.  It is far and away my favorite food event of the year.

From the delicious food they served to the sneak preview of the class schedule, the organizers, Dominique Love and Elizabeth Feichter, are going to put on the best one yet!  If you haven’t been before, this is the year to try it out!  One of my favorite things about this festival is that in addition to the amazing tasting tents, there are a ton of courses you can attend.  I always learn something and meet new friends.

Atlanta Food & Wine 2014 preview

The food luck continued with a fabulous meal at one of Atlanta’s best new restaurants, Better Half (349 14th St. Bldg C Atlanta, GA 30318; 404-695-4547).  It was started by Zach and Cristina Meloy after spending a few years growing and learning with Push Start Kitchen (my favorite underground supper club).  Even cooler is that they funded the restaurant with  Kickstarter campaign!  The story behind this place alone makes you want to support it!

The menu changes daily, but I trust anything Zach makes will be amazing.  My friend and I split several items and left perfectly sated:

Better Half ATL

Apps: roasted garlic panisse (chickpea flour cake) with preserved lemon mayonnaise, candied fennel, and pickled shallot and 2 crispy pork belly pieces with black bean puree and cucumber pico de gallo

Mains: striped bass, rice grits, chile pudding, spinach, and shallot rings, and an 18 hour lamb neck, tacu- tacu (bean cake), crispy plantain, and cilantro puree

Desserts: vanilla cremeux, butterscotch, cocoa crumb, and orange puree, and a cocoa sponge with cajeta and smoked chocolate ice cream

The panisse may have been my favorite.  The chickpea cake was perfectly crisped on the outside, but the inside was light and creamy.  I loved the texture contrast in each bite, and the bright lemon mayo was the perfect flavor accent.

This last item really was lucky.  Jennifer Nettles was playing at my favorite venue in Atlanta Saturday night.  I had a giant brain fart and forgot to get tickets.  With nothing else to do, I decided to walk down to the show and see if anyone was scalping tickets.  They were not.

I almost turned away, but saw a lone guy standing at the Kicks 101.5 (our local country radio station) booth.  It was a long shot, but I had nothing to lose… I asked if they happened to have an extra ticket.  He had TWO!  And he gave them to me for FREE.  It was unreal.  I thanked him over and over and then called my mamma.  I’m a good kid. ;)

Naturally, I enjoyed a celebration cocktail and a sandwich while I waited for Mom to get there.

Jennifer Nettles tix

We’ve been listening to Jennifer since way before her Sugarland days (she started solo and with a non-country band, Soul Miner’s daughter).  I was a little sad she didn’t play her old stuff, but it was still an amazing show.

That woman’s voice fills a room like no other!

Jennifer Nettles Atlanta

Luck or not, it was a great weekend!  I bet Katie would call it marvelous. ;)

Do you believe in luck?  When was your last “lucky” occurrence?

Do you like Sugarland/Jennifer Nettles?  Did you know she had a career before country?

Comments

So many amazing things!! That’s pretty amazing that Better Half started with a Kickstarter campaign and the food looks amazing. I believe in luck to a certain degree but that you have to act on it to make it happen. Like with the Jennifer Nettles tickets. Luck may have brought you and the tickets together in one place but you needed to walk over to the booth and ask for them.

2. Anonymous says

Oh wow, that’s so cool!! Sounds like such a great weekend.
    I believe that when you focus on luck it will come to you. Positive thinking. My BF is the perfect example. Always joyful and smiley and he is a truly lucky guy. Sometimes it gets on my nerves, really. LOL.
    I want to come to Atlanta to EAT and to hang out with you!!

That is lucky! It reminds me of the time Rob and I got free tickets to the All Blacks (our team!) semi final at the world cup 2 years ago. We desperately wanted to go and a woman in our hotel elevator just happened to have two tickets to spare.

That is so cool! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! I do agree in fate….well maybe not fate so much, but that everything happens for a reason. The things you think about the most, you will put yourself in a position to be able to reach that desire. My races always go as I plan them too….sometimes I think about things that I do not want in races, and that comes true too. Like they say, be careful what you wish for!

to my eyes it seems you live that adage about LUCK BEING WHEN HARD ASS WORK MEETS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY (ok I may have mangled a bit :-)).

you seem SO LUCKY–you always be ready for the opportunities.

Awesome times! I LOVE Jennifer Nettles…have liked her since there were 3 members in Sugarland, but had no idea about her career before this. Thanks to you, I have learned something new today! :)

Awwww… when Kristin was in the band. They were awesome. How about the girl drummer that was there in the beginning too? You have to check out her old solo stuff – it’s powerful!

I believe in a little mix of both… you had to have the guts and desire to ask for the tickets…but I think life had them waiting for whoever was willing to do just that. Sounds like a seriously great weekend!!

That wasn’t luck, that was chutzpah! Do you know how many people would’ve lazily given up before even walking to look for scalpers, let alone asking a random radio dude? Almost everyone, me included. You’re awesome.

Since you asked, I got lucky just yesterday. ;) The Hubby was in town.

Anything involving Atlanta’s food festival would be a winning weekend in my book. You could happily roll me home or to a Jennifer Nettles concert. It sounds pretty perfect. Glad you got to enjoy it.