Coca Cola’s Super Bowl + WIAW

Sometimes I am oblivious.

Ok, a lot of the time…

I’m not one to get too riled up over political issues.  At least not in the “the world is going to hell in a hand basket!” way.  I DO get fired up over discrimination and stupid political moves.  When Coca-Cola’s Super Bowl ad aired, it didn’t cross my mind that it was controversial.  I actually tweeted that it was too long and boring.  My attention span only wants short, funny ads, dammit!

coca cola super bowl ad 2014

So why were people fired up?  They thought it was offensive that “America the Beautiful” was sung in different languages, featured many cultures, and *gasp* included a gay couple.

Really?!  Last I checked the English language didn’t originate in America.  Next year they should air the song being sung in a Native American language with all dark-skinned people.

I’m proud of my hometown’s company for embracing our melting pot country.  Even if it was a boring commercial.

This WIAW was decidedly uncontroversial.  Someone at work even told me my fish smelled good.  And she was sincere!

WIAWbutton

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!

Breakfast:

The usual apple cider morning cocktail was followed by a new-to-me oatmeal.  I got Purely Elizabeth Ancient Grain Oatmeal as part of a deal when I ordered more Nuttzo a couple of weeks ago.  I will definitely be buying more! I use it to make cinnamon-vanilla egg white oats and topped it with blueberries and Nuttzo.

purely elizabeth oatmeal

Mid-Morning Snack:

This week I prepped a big batch of Chili Nutty Tofu.  I followed my original recipe, except I used sriracha and made a peanut flour sauce rather than the Valencia PB.  It was awesome with an Asian-inspired Napa cabbage, mushroom, and red bell pepper stir-fry (also a part of Sunday’s food prep).

Chili Nutty Tofu

Lunch:

Rotisserie chickencarrots, and celery dressed with homemade BBQ sauce.  My “dessert” was a Korean sweet potato topped with cinnamon.  Pretty food tastes better, no?

BBQ chicken

Mid-Afternoon Snack:

Cod with a side of asparagus, zucchini, and parsley mixed with my wasabi-blue cheese dressing.

Cod and asparagus salad

Dinner:

Trout has become a new staple thanks for SizzleFish.  I broiled it for 7 mins with pepper and lemon juice.  Meanwhile, I sautéed Napa cabbage and mushrooms in the juice from a jar of kimchi.  Quick and easy!

Sizzlefish trout

Of course I needed something sweet, so I made a pre-dessert dessert of my favorite cocoa-roasted kabocha topped with peanut flour sauce (I get my peanut flour on iHerb – use discount code USO924 for $5-10 off your order) and cacao nibs.

It was so good that I didn’t remember a pic until I was almost done.  #sorryimnotsorry

Kabocha and peanut sauce

Dessert:

I stopped on my way home from work for a little treat.  The Cookies & Cream Quest bar.  I can’t believe I had the restraint to wait til almost midnight to eat this.

Mine was broiled for about a minute with the intent of using it to scoop up a Zucchini Batter Protein bowl.  The bowl was forgotten on favor of the bar.  Best.  Flavor.  Yet.

best Quest bar ever

(Don’t worry – I still finished the zucchini bowl.)

I am going back for a case of those bars.

Did you have any reaction to Coke’s Super Bowl ad?

Are you a Quest bar fan?  What’s your favorite flavor?

Comments

Now that you mention the coke ad, I kind of remember (I was multi-tasking during the superbowl, finishing up my blog post :-) ). I certainly didn’t see anything controversial about it. People are nuts (such a good way to categorize the stupid things that some people say and do). I was much more offended by Joe Namath’s stupid-ass fur coat.

i didn’t watch the Super Bowl but I did watch some of the commercials (the day after)..I must’ve skipped over the Coca Cola ad and went straight to the Bud Light one with Ian..did you see that one? soooo cute! :)

i thought i was creating something new when i used the kimchi juice as a dressing in my salad tonight..guess i’m not the only one who thought of this brilliant idea afterall! :)

I can’t say I have any Super Bowl knowledge, except of the fact that seahawks won :P
    But I definitely want to eat like you do during that special day!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

i had to re-watch coke’s commercial because i don’t remember it being controversial! still after seeing it, i was like wait what’s the problem??? lol then i read what you explained and ugh that makes me sad. america is very diverse and we should embrace EVERYONE. period.

Oh. My. Lord. The new Quest bar. The flavor exceeded my wildest expectations.
    Ima need Quest to modify production plans so that the Cookies and Cream bars are being made at a 10:1 ratio of all other flavors.

I didn’t watch the Super Bowl, as the game started after midnight local time. My boss watched it and took Monday off, though.
    I found the Coca Cola add boring, too. The Jaguar commercial was so much better! *swoon*
    Cheers on the creative use of kimchi juice! I’m currently eating kimchi with almost anything, even fried potatoes or random vegetable soups. Strange but good!

i’m oblivious–> did not even grasp that concept. whoops.

now the trout, yes, i grasp that. I freakin just love sizzlefish and you and your honesty. brother!

My husband mentioned that some people weren’t going to like it… otherwise, it never would have crossed my mind. So sad and frustrating that we can’t even celebrate the diversity that is the reality of our country!

I watched the Superbowl, but we don’t get the commercials up here that you guys do so I didn’t see the Coca Cola one. I may have to google it later though, because now I’m curious!
    Annnd I’m going to the health food store near me this weekend to see if they’re stocking the cookies and cream Quest yet…if not, then a lot of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for me ;-)

Did you see a few weeks ago when someone linked up a chickpea oatmeal recipe for #strangebugood? I thought of you. :)

I had no idea there was any controversy until this post! How pathetic people can be! That makes me mad!

Your meals look delicious, i really need to include more fish in my diet. I know it is so good for me, and I like it….just often forget! Maybe should give trout a try!

As for quest…..love them….and have cookies and cream on the way, which I cant wait to try! I just did a review for them on my blog! I havent tried them as cookies in the oven yet….that is next on the list :)

Trout is a great one – especially for you endurance runners. It’s high in omegas, so it’s great for the joints!

I’ve never tried quest bars. I’m too lazy to get to a GNC LOL. I love using peanut flour for a tofu marinade (especially when sriracha is involved). I feel pretty oblivious too when it comes to the world of politics and all things media-worthy. Though, some are arguably not really media worthy …

Yep, as soon as I saw it, I knew it wouldn’t fly with certain parts of our country. Which is the most ridiculous thing EVER. We are a nation of immigrants, none of us has been here all that long–the country is a mere 200 years old. It’s that nonsense that drives me crazy!

I seriously am embarrassed by the fact that people think the commercial is offensive. Honestly! America already has a holier than thou image and that just perpetuates it.
    I am so excited to try that new Quest flavor!

What is Superbowl? Lol.
    I am so jealous of that questbar flavor – the newest one I got to try was chococlate chip cookie dough when I was in NY in June – looong ago. There is one store where I can order some old flavors online but that’s how they taste – old. It’s highly possible to lose a teeth when biting in it.
    Nutty Tofu sounds amazing – I have some tofu sitting in my fridge waiting to be eaten!!

Brownie is #3 for me. I like the cookies ‘n cream best, the cookie dough, then brownie. I have thought long and hard about this. ;) 4th is the white chocolate raspberry, which says a lot since i don’t like white chocolate.

15. Maren says

I didn’t really watch much of the super bowl, but I have been hearing a lot about the coke commercial and it just annoys me that it didn’t phase half of the country and the other half went NUTS over it. ugh.

Anyway, I am going to pick up the quest bar today after work! So excited!!! My favs are the raspberry white chocolate and chocolate chip cookie dough, so I am hoping this one is just as amazing!

Have a great rest of the week girl!

• says

I am not a fan of the brownie one! I don’t know why…for some reason, though, my GNC does not get fresh cookie dough ones in. And trust me, it makes a big difference! I’ll have to buy a fresh brownie one and try it. Anyway, I really liked the cookies n creme! It isn’t super sweet, but I love the “cookie” part of it! I’ll def be buying a box of them! :)

OK—that ad didn’t even phase me at all. When I started reading at the top that it was “controversial” to some, I really had to stop and try to remember it. People are CRAZY! If they would get on the band wagon for serious things, the world would be a much better place. No, let’s get all up in arms about a coke ad. Seriously……

I wondered the same thing about that commercial. (I thought most of the commercials were too long and boring – especially the car ones.) I started seeing FB posts about the Coke one and could not understand the problem – but people were saying this was part of the problem in our country…..WHAT?! Maybe they are the problem and not a commercial that shows the wonderful diversity in our country!!!

What cracked me up about all the controversy was that people on Twitter were “OUTRAGED” that Coke would use our “National Anthem” in such a horrible way. Okay, fucktards…America the Beautiful is NOT our national anthem. So frustrating!

Pretty food does taste better, and I’m thrilled to see asparagus back on the menu…where it should be.

I missed the Coke ad and the controversy. In my case, ignorance is bliss, but in this case ignorance is an ignorant, non-tolerant, judgmental piece of … you get the idea. I’m not a fan of this kind of ignorance.

OMG I am dying to try the new Quest bar! I only had my first bar a month ago so I’m a little late to the party haha

I don’t get what the fuss is about these Super Bowl commercials. I’ve seen a few and I’m not as impressed as I think I should be! haha

People get worked up over the stupidest stuff! I swear, who gives a shit really. People need to focus on more important things.

Either way, your meals look sooo good! As usual!

I saw the ad and really liked it. I thought it was a clever idea, and it wasn’t exactly “in your face” like so many other commercials are. I see nothing wrong with it, but it bothers me how people can turn something that was meant to be nice into a complete attack-fest – I mean, really? Is there nothing else going on in the world people can get upset about?

Oh gosh, that Quest Bar flavor sounds soooo good. I love cookies & cream anything! ;-)

People really have too much free time on their hands. Maybe they should try occupying their minds with jobs and getting off the couch. That was harsh… but really!

I’m so glad you said it so I didn’t have to … Kevin and I were ranking Super Bowl ads (since we’re super cool like that) and when the Coca Cola one went by I said something like “yeah, good American feeling, but a little slow.” Literally no reaction, though it was nice but kinda boring. I was surprised and appalled the next day to hear the controversy. America always amazes me – sometimes it’s with how supportive and respective we are, and other times it’s with how ridiculously 200-years-ago and immature we can be.

24. elizabeth says

The only quest bar I like is double choc chunk, but I bet I would like cookies n cream, just ordered a sample bar to make sure, since I don’t like most quest bars. Everybody seems to like choc chip cookie dough, but it doesn’t taste right to me. I wish the cookies n cream didn’t have so much sodium though.

Ha! I said the same thing about getting a case of the new Quest bars….pretty damn good I have to say! Love the texture! I seriously can’t pick just ONE flavor as a favorite, but my top three are the cookies and cream, chocolate chip cookie dough, and the apple pie (which is weird, because I HATED that one the first time I tried it! I still remember complaining to you about it! Ha!) Oh and speaking of Quest bars, a certain fit chick tells me you’re about to trade some in for a jar of crack…be careful with that stuff lady, it’s DEADLY! 8O Lol

I remember that too! You GAVE me a package of the PB cups. ;)

I told our Swiss friend you’d help me choose goodies… no pressure.