5 Things I Love

Last week was a long one.

Understatement of the year.

This past weekend I made sure to savour every blissful moment.  I took an extra moment to appreciate new product finds, watch my sister’s music video on repeat, and enjoy dinner at a special restaurant for no particular occasion.

In this month of love, I wanted to share a few apples of my eye with you guys!

1. Jojoba Oil

It is saving my skin from winter.  My skin is dry in this crazy weather, yet it is also oily in spots and prone to breakouts.  Slathering it with oil was a terrifying thought… but I trusted my sister’s advice and gave it a shot.  Lo and behold, it works!

I now use Jojoba oil as a nightly moisturizer, along with a bit of tea tree oil on any acne spots.  Both can be found at Whole Foods or most natural food stores.

Jojoba oil

2. Good & Fox

My sister is a rockstar. She introduced me to said oil AND she made a music video out for my favorite Goose & Fox (her band) song:

3. Tasting Menu Dinner

I met a fellow food-loving friend and my mom at one of my favorite restaurants in ATL Saturday night.  Woodfire Grill is often seen as a “special occasion” restaurant, but I see no reason to wait for a birthday to enjoy a good meal.  It’s one of the best restaurants in my city, and easily offer the best service (or server, Danny, was fantastic!).

We ordered the tasting menu with pairings.  It was all glorious, but my highlights were the loaded baked potato ravioli (which says a lot since 99% of the time I hate white potatoes) and the dessert.  That dessert was a flourless dark chocolate cake with graham cracker creme anglaise, graham cracker sugar cookie, and toasted marshmallow ice cream.  I would sell my soul for a pint of that ice cream.

Woodfire Grill ATL

4. Sweet Potato Syrup

I only make sweet potatoes one way.

Easy Baked Sweet Potato
  • Wash the ‘tater
  • Stab it a few times with a fork
  • Wrap it in foil
  • Bake at 400 for about 60 mins, or until it’s soft (~60 will vary depending on size)

baked sweet potato

What results is a perfectly moist sweet potato that is oozing with sweet syrup.

How’s that for a description?

5. Calphalon Grill Pan

I am grateful to have a friend who works for Calphalon.  She gifted me with this schwag last week and I got to use it during my meal prep last night.  It is perfection!

Huge upgrade from the crap-tastic one I ruined from Ikea.

Calphalon grill pan

Check out everyone else’s Marvelous Mondays on Katie’s blog!

This week we are supposed to have another bout with ice and snow.  Yesterday I went running in a tank top.  This is one bi-polar vortex.

What was marvelous about your weekend?

What products have you been loving lately?

Comments

Actually… that make me want to make a vegan version. The ravioli piece would be easy, and you could use Daiya wedges and tempeh bacon!

Only recently did I discover the wonders of baking sweet potato this way! I used to think of SP as kabocha’s less flavourful cousin. I’d cover in olive oil and prepare the same way, but it never had that ‘it’ factor.

Then I followed a recipe where you bag an egg in the centre of the sweet potato (wrapped in foil). It was a revelation :D

No kidding about this bi-polar vortex down here in ATL! I am throwing in my gloves and burying my head in the sand – till Spring at least!
    Someone needs to bottle and market sweet potato syrup – it is so good – specially with some cinnamon :)
    Happy Monday lady!

I use jojoba oil every night! – mixed in with some castor oil, for both cleansing and moisturizing. I actually used to use it as a daytime moisturizer, too, but found out I like argan oil a little better during the day – a little lighter.

I’ve cooked sweet potatoes in the slow cooker wrapped in foil and it’s pretty darn fabulous too…Same result as baking them, but you can just leave them in for a few hours and not have to worry about burning the kitchen down. ;) They taste like candy!

So…. I don’t have a cooker, but I have been know to turn down the oven and head to the gym for a couple of hours. Don’t tell the HOA. ;)

This sweet potato syrup is kind of blowing my mind. I need to try that out.
    I know everyone is hating this coldness, but I just wish I got one good ol’ fashioned snow day. Seriously, how is it I live in Canada but have had no snow! It’s confusing me;)
    I haven’t tried jojoba oil, but I love putting castor oil on my eyelashes (that sounds weird) but it seriously helps them grow, it’s kind of cool.

You have gorgeous eyes, so I’m going to trust you on that one and buy castor oil. As soon as I dig my way out of this ice…

I totally have that grill pan <3 it is perfect for the winter months when our grill is buried from snow and the cover that we tie down.

That dessert looks ah mazing. Flourless Chocolate Cake is far and away my favorite dessert, the graham cracker and marshmallow additions sound amazing!

I have heard a lot of people using oil on their face. My face is really acne prone now, it never was until my junior year of college, and i’m always so frustrated as nothing seems to work to keep acne away without my face turning really dry and peeling. I don’t think i ave ever done a taisting menu meal but it sounds like a great way to try lots of fun foods.

8. lynda Hall says

I am so blessed by three Amazing daughters! They are my love and always inspire me to keep living the life we are meant to have! Our dinner at Woodfire Grill was totally amazing and the company even better! That was the highlight of my week…..great food, service, great fun! Yum!!!

I’ve been using coconut oil and a tea tree oil shampoo/conditioner, but you just reminded me that I have some jojoba oil I need to bust out! LOVE that song! Wow…their voices are amazing!

And that dessert? 8O You know me…not a huge chocolate fan, but that sounds incredible! I’ve tried a toasted marshmallow ice cream at Jeni’s before, but unfortunately it was a bit of a letdown. Their pistachio and honey though was a thing of beauty!

We just got a Jeni’s here!!! I’ve managed to refrain so far… but it’s going to happen soon. The first time I had it was in Nashville – Pear Riesling. *swoon*