3 Surprisingly Quick Meals

A little prep can go a long way.

This is why Sundays are sacred.

If I do my weekly shopping and prep right, I don’t need a detailed meal plan.  My preference is to make a bunch of stuff and then figure out what flavors I want to add and how to mix and match it throughout the week.  Variety is the best way I know to stay on track.  If I’m not interested in what I’m eating, I’m not content.

Here are three meals that I threw together quickly when what I had on hand.  They look fancy-ish, but in reality they were incredibly easy (and fun) to make.  Who doesn’t think quickies are marvelous? ;)

The incredible, edible egg is one of my favorite breakfasts.  This wrap was inspired by a french toast craving on an icy morning, and the fact that I was out of bread.

I kept the stuffing simple with cottage cheese, but you could use Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and any number of spices.  Adapt it to your preference, and what you have on hand.

Stuffed French Toast Egg Wrap

Stuffed French Toast Egg Wrap

• 1/2 C egg whites
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • Stevia, to taste
  • 1/4 C no salt cottage cheese
  • 1/4 tsp butter extract
  • Optional toppings: sugar-free syrup, fruit

Beat together eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and stevia.  Cook over med-high heat in a small skillet, flipping once.  This should form a single, thin wrap.

Meanwhile, mix together cottage cheese and butter extract.  You may add more cinnamon and/or ginger here (I did).

Plate the egg wrap, spread with cottage cheese mixture, and roll into a wrap.  Drizzle with syrup and fruit, if using.

This next “recipe” is more of a suggestion.  Transform nachos into a healthier option by using squash rather than chips as the base.  Depending on your toppings, you can make your nachos fit any diet: gluten-free, paleo, vegan, etc.  Because we’re all unique little snowflakes.

Below is the basic idea, my ingredients, and easy instructions:

Squachos

Squachos

• Winter squash, sliced thin and pre-roasted (I used Calabaza squash)
  • Veggies (I used roasted broccoli slaw)
  • Protein of your choosing (I used bison)
  • Sauce of your choosing (I used a mix of nutritional yeast, greek yogurt, and smoked paprika)
  • Egg over easy

Place squash on a foil-lined baking pan or stone.  Top squash slices as desired (I made my egg separately on the stove top because that’s how I like it).

Place the squachos in the oven under the broiler for 2-3 mins, until warm.  Watch closely, as it is easy to burn things on broil!

Gently slide your nachos off of the foil and onto a plate.

This is yet another “suggestion.”  You can put anything in a wrap – I also love making them for breakfast with egg.

They are great with tofu, beans, fish, and any number of veggies.  Use your imagination… and your leftovers!

Pressed Bison Wrap

Pressed Bison Wrap

Line middle of wrap with spinach.  (Lining it with greens helps hold juices in so that the tortilla doesn’t get soggy.

Crumble burger and gratin (or fillings of choice) in the center of the wrap.  Roll it up burrito-style.

Place in press (I used a George Forman grill) and cook until outside if wrap is browned and crisped, about 4 mins.

Plate and enjoy plain or with your favorite sauce.  I finished mine with a fig-balsamic glaze.

As the Super Bowl started last night that I didn’t care for the game, but I can get on board with any food-related holiday.

Do you meal prep? What’s your strategy?

What did you do for the Super Bowl?  I worked and ate. :)

Comments

I am so jealous of your grill – these wraps look so perfect! !
    I always put a huge sheet in the oven filled with brussels, chicken and sweet potato and mix it as I like. Cutting veggies for salads and preparing a ton of eggy oats and I’m good :-)

Love that french toast wrap. Genius!

I’ve been eating a ton of wraps lately. Tortilla, some sort of meat, a bit of cheese, a little sauce, and as much salad as I can fit in. I’m borderline addicted LOL.

Now I’m going to have to figure out a way to press mine since we got rid of the Foreman ages ago…

Mine grill is 10+ years old! I think you could do it on a grill pan by pressing down with a spatula or something heavy.

Oooh french toast egg wrap! Great idea! This would be a lovely breakfast to start the day! Love bison too, have never had it at home though, love getting burgers out though!

I have work every day, and night classes for my MBA on Mon, Tues, and Thurs each week, so meal prep is crucial! My lunchbox is stuffed full each day as I am running 75 miles a week, makes a hungry runner! Makes things so much easier, and saves so much money.

I usually make enough meals for us to survive through Thursday night and make sure we have enough veggies & fruit to cut up as snacks for the week.

I am HUGE into food prepping, I prep all my side dishes so that I never have to think about that last minute veggie I forgot to prepare for dinner! I love eggs I seriously eat them everyday so anything with eggs I AM IN! I love that you have been using lots of ginger lately so tasty! Have an amazing weekend Lots of Love C

6. Whitney W says

I am an Atlanta native just like you–where do you buy your Bison? I am in love with it but can’t find it anywhere!

Awesome! It’s pretty easy to find – the best price is at Dekalb Farmer’s Market, but you can also find it at Whole Foods and Publix.

I sort of do meal prep, but not quite like i should. Typically I will press a couple of blocks of tofu, might start to marinate one, make spaghetti sauce (love having that on hand) and make homemade ciabatta. If I’m really on top of things, then I will boil eggs and also bake spaghetti squash. I need to figure out where to find the no-salt cottage cheese. Kroger does not carry it.

I have only been able to find it by one brand – Friendship – at Publix and the farmer’s market. There was a coupon today!

I haven’t been great at food prep on the weekend, but I sometimes have extra time on weekdays if I’m home to work ahead. I do always make out a meal plan and stock my kitchen, so that helps ensure we have healthy options. Love your suggestions!

I love bison and that wrap looks DIVINE! I actually did no meal prep this weekend, cause I have a decent amount of frozen stuff that I can use, but I definitely will need to hit up Costco this upcoming weekend and I want to try a new stew in the slow cooker. :)

I don’t food prep meals, mostly because I hate shopping on the weekends and have the luxury of doing it during the week, but I always make sure I have plenty of hard boiled eggs, salad fixings, and lean protein on hand to put together a lunch.

I miss working from home when I could go shopping in the middle of the day! It’s kind of like an adventure on the weekend though… lol!

I need to chaco that out. It looks like a more constructed version of my spaghetti squash pie. My mom used to make it growing up!

Thanks! I buy random wraps. I like the Food4Life sprouted grains and a low sodium one I found a Kroger. I think it’s by Toufayan.

Meal prep is KEY to staying on track during the week. It is vital for me. Since I leave the house in the morning and don’t get back until after work I have to make sure that I have healthy things already prepped so I am not tempted and also so it makes it easy!

I love all these things, I cannot pass up a good over easy egg!

Good gosh – those squachos sound incredible!
    I am horrible at meal prepping – but I always have healthy staples like cooked quinoa and steamed broccoli or roasted squash in my fridge so easy to pull something together – and if I dont – well there’s oats with peanut butter and chocolate – dinner and dessert in one :)

I was staring at the first picture, drooling over it, thinking it was some sort of crepe and then you tell me it’s eggs? Mind blown. it looks so good!

I keep telling myself I need to meal prep but things keep coming up (excuses!) and it never gets done and then everyday I stare into my fridge and waster minutes wondering what to make.

Watched Frozen instead of the Superbowl :)

Thanks! It was really good. I think I’ll have it for breakfast tomorrow…

Meal prep can seen inconvenient, but it truly saves me throughout the week!

Squachos, haha, great name.

I try to meal prep but I often don’t end up having time. I keep stuff that’s easy to make on hand though like eggs, sweet potatoes, ff greek yogurt, and turkey burgers for when I’m really crunched. There’s always time to whip up a scramble or pop a potato in the microwave!

I actually just ate a slice of your cauliflower and spaghetti squash gratin cold… I should stick some in a wrap, I love that idea! And so jealous that you have bison on hand…

Omg, I love all of these! I have to say I’m with you…I can’t exactly “plan” all of my meals for the week or I get bored, but to have things I can piece together that provide a good amount of variety? That’s where it’s at! And you know me, I’ll put an egg on anything and call it a meal!

Man, I could really go for a bison burger right about now…at 10am! 8O Haha!