Work It Out: Counting Is Hard

I have popcorn stuck in my teeth.

I need to work that out with some floss.

Popcorn.  Good carbs when you pop it fresh at home.  Why do I need carbs?  Because I’ve been working hard!  And I just like popcorn.

It’s been a while since I posted a Work It Out, but I’m sharing an especially good one today to make up for it.

sprint2table-workitout

I love heavy lifting.  My workouts typically involve some pretty traditional moves.  This is a little different.  In the off-season I’ve been shaking it up a bit.  I’m still lifting heavy, but I’m also trying new things to keep my muscles guessing.  I took up soccer… but that’s another story.

This workout is high-intensity.  It will keep your heart rate up, but my favorite part is that it still incorporates weights.  Starting out you may not be able to increase the weights as the sets drop, but overtime try it!  What do you have to lose?  You can always drop the weights back down.

Counting is Hard Workout

Aim to do the first set continuously.  It starts with 30 sit ups, 18 kettlebell swings, and 18 side lunches with a hammer curl.  Then you do another 30 sit ups, but only do 16 or the swings and lunge move.  The whole way through you stay at 30 ab moves, but you have a big drop from 16 to 12 reps before counting on down to 6.  After the first set, take a potty/water/air break before diving into the second set.

It’s hard.  Push yourself, but be smart.  At the end you will be tired, but you will feel like a rockstar.  A rockstar who can count.

This workout took me just under an hour.  Just because I kept moving doesn’t mean I was moving fast! ;)

Have you been shaking things up in the gym lately?

What are your favorite sorts of workouts?

Comments

Isn’t today National Popcorn Day or am I just making things up?

And don’t laugh, because I know you’re totally jack and totally competent in the gym but my goal is to do 30-60 push ups a day, day 4… GOING STRONG, LMFAO!!! Pat me on the back, will ya?! ;)

I think eating popcorn is worth the toothpick and flossing that inevitably follows ;)
    Thanks for the tip on these sets, though doing them continuously would be hard!

Cheers
    CCU

I need to make popcorn, seriously. Is it weird to ask for a recipe? I once burned my pan and now I’m terrified.
    And YES for heavy lifting – best thing I ever started!! I think it is so amazing that it not only makes me stronger physically, but MENTALLY!! Knowing I can push 50kg bench press currently (going up soon I hope), gives me a good feeling – and if the guys are looking and lifting less – even better :-)
    I just started James Wilsons Body Earned Program and I totally love it. So much variety, it’s kicking my butt every time. Besides that, Crossfit is on my list twice a week – so badass and I love the competitive atmosphere!

I don’t mess with the pan. I buy popcorn in the bulk bin and pop it in the microwave in a brown paper bag (the kind you get when you buy wine ;) ).

Oh I like that one. I bought a set of kettlebells and need to really put them back into my workouts. I was testing out some full-body circuits last week. I’ve been really blah with my weight workouts. I need to shake things up.

Can I count to 3 and have the workout be over with? ;-) I’ve been adding a lot more running intervals to my workouts lately. Then yesterday my husband and I took an impromptu hour-long walk!

Gah, I love popcorn too! I have to keep floss close by though or kernels stuck in my teeth will drive me crazy!

I love switching things up when I workout. If I can get my heart rate up there while lifting…even better! This sounds like a fun one!

Saweeeet! I love that you realize that good carbs are awesome! So many people get so freaked out by carbs. As long as you get them in the right places they are excellent. Especially if you workout like you do!

This workout looks awesome!! I love things like this (except when I’m teaching boot camp because I start talking and lose count and make us do extra which I don’t mind but apparently some do!).

I have been doing recovery based training this round (post to come on that – promise!) and it’s killer. It’s all about keeping your HR above a certain range during the strength, which means I am working HARD the whole time. It’s awesome. And tiring. :)

Dude, I don’t even know if I can do 30 V-ups ONCE! Those things are KILLER! And of course you would get my hopes up with the first work it out post of the year and there are lunges involved…one of the only two things I can’t manage to get my knee to do! Hmmm, maybe half squats (because full squats are the OTHER thing…womp womp)?

Mmmm, popcorn! :D

I can’t wait to try this – seems perfect for those of us who like incorporating weight training but are still kind of cardio/ intensity junkies :). I’m not sure I’ll be able to get through all of the abs, but I want to give it a try! If I’m struggling with the sit-ups, I could tuck my toes under something, and on the v-ups maybe I could do like a modified boat with some hand support? I’ll let you know :).

You can definitely modify – maybe stability ball sit up and alternating a sit up with each V? Boat pose is a good idea too. I was taking some pauses toward the end for sure!

Whoa. Mega workout! Love the idea of it – I might try it out tomorrow and even use it for myself – but with some modifications. It might be even too long for me! ;)

LOL! I think you could do it faster than I can – especially if you don’t go to heavy. It’s easily modified! Let me know what you think. :)