Strange But Good: Sriracha Veggie Muffins

Sriracha and I have a long relationship.

Second only to my relationship with my hair stylist.

Spicy is a food group all its own in my house.  I put Sriracha or some sort of heat source on nearly everything.  Even my chocolate sauce is “Mexican” with the addition of cayenne.  Why should muffins be any different?

Rooster Veggie Muffins

If adding Sriracha to muffins isn’t strange enough, I also added veggies.  I choose red peppers, zucchini, and shiitake mushrooms to compliment the Vietnamese feels of the Sriracha.  You can easily change it up with your favorites.

This spicy little number is also low carb thanks to coconut flour.  I also added stay-powder with healthy amount of cottage cheese and eggs to amp up the protein.

Sriracha Veggie Muffin

Heat up your morning (or your evening) with a spicy little number.  They’re good from the freezer too – just pop it in the microwave ~30 seconds to thaw.

It may sound strange, but it’s good.

Sriracha Veggie Muffins

• 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp sodium-free baking powder
  • 1/2 C no-salt cottage cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 C egg whites
  • 1 T sriracha

Preheat oven to 375.  Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Heat pan over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray.  Saute veggies until tender.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir in wet ingredients.  Lastly, fold in sautéed veggies.

Divide evenly into muffin tins.  Bake 20-25 mins, until toothpick come out clean.

Makes 12 muffins.  Can be stored 5-6 days in the refrigerator, or 3 months in the freezer.

Approximate nutrition (per muffin): 81 calories, 1.6g fat, 88.8mg sodium, 8.5g carbohydrates, 2.2g fiber, 1.3g sugar, 7.3g protein

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week? The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends! Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

It's finally going to be sunny all weekend here!  Perfect timing for a long weekend.

What is your favorite hot sauce or spice?

Do you prefer savory or sweet muffins?

Comments

I attempted to make savory muffins yesterday. Complete and utter fail. They were so gross. I tossed ‘em out. For me to do that, they have to be really, really bad. I should have waited for your recipe because these look much, much better. I love all the ingredients and of course, the sriracha!

I like things that can go either way–like my lemon beet muffins, or cornbread. That way, you never pigeon hole yourself :D You can put jelly on it, or pair it with ice cream, or you can eat it with fish or chili! But I love, love putting a little dash of cayenne in pretty much everything–that little ziiiiing titillates my taste buds, lol. And I am a sucker for zucchini in pretty much anything…

You don’t have to use mushrooms, and you could sub another flour. If you do, just cut back on the egg a bit because coconut flour is really absorbent. :)

Laura,
    I’ve been playing with sriracha and veggies lately in appetizers. I made mushrooms for the spouse and I earlier this month, and next week as part of #AppetizerWeek I’ve got a sriracha butternut hummus. I wish I had the words to share what it brings to vegetables, but I’m wordless. I’ve never thought of putting it in a muffin, but I’ve been kicking around a cottage cheese muffin to use up the remainder of the mashed roasted butternut squash from the other night’s dinner–so I think you’ve just inspired me to flavor that with sriracha. Thanks!
    I thought of you the whole time I was making this pizza–eggnog and butternut squash in a pizza crust? And a goat cheese, fig jam, and prosciutto pizza at that? Strange but good, definitely.

Thanks for hosting!

Ah, I wasn’t even close on my guesses! I thought those were avocado chunks in there, but I was still thinking sweet, not savory. Of course, like everything you do (besides that one random meat in your oatmeal thing – ha!), this looks delicious!

don’t hate us but we’ve never tried Sriracha before, not sure why. Just haven’t given it a shot yet, maybe one – these muffins sound like a good place to start ;)

Oh my gooooddddnnnneeeesss.
    This may be the recipe that makes me finally go and get some coconut flour.

Quick question: Do you think it would work without the cottage cheese? I love it, but am trying to avoid dairy.

It would… but you’d need to replace it with something. Maybe another 1/4 C egg whites and 1/4 C flour? Let me know if you try it!

I shouldn’t admit this but I don’t think I have tried siracha. It seems to be a favorite of so many, I really should give it a try. It just reminds me too much of ketchup and I don’t like ketchup at all. I do however like the idea of a spicy veggie muffin.

You have to trust me – I cannot stand ketchup and I love sriracha. It’s not even in the same family. Promise.

8. Anonymous says

So I actually like the addition of Sriracha. I think it would jazz up the cauliflower and zucchini. The cottage cheese scares me though, although it can’t be much different than using Greek yogurt in muffins, and I have done that before. Hmmm, maybe, maybe. Either way, I dig your creativity the most.
    By the way, I have a new favorite spice that you’d love. Heck, you probably have stock in it already. It’s Berbere, and it’s hot and spicy and all things wonderful. I gave some to Heather, and given her fear of heat, I suggested she pass it along to you.

That’s a LOT of egg to replace. Maybe half flax egg and a little more cottage cheese? Let me know if you try it!

Ok, wait, now I want to make THESE!! Omg, what a little protein punch! And even though I’m a total spice weenie, I can appreciate a little sriracha here and there! PS, is it weird that every time I see sriracha, I think of you? ;)

1. […] Thank you, thank you to my fellow Altantan, Laura! […]

2. […] my workout and a bunch of studying I figured I was ready for some #StrangeButGood […]