Mexican Chicken Soup

The only thing I like better than Indian food is Mexican food.

Depending on the day.

On this MLK Day, I am celebrating equality Mexican-style with soup.  After seeing Jenn’s Crock-pot Chicken Tortilla Soup, I was craving a batch.  Alas, I have no crock-pot and I can’t follow a recipe.  This is what resulted:

Mexi-Chicken Soup

It’s hearty.  If you like a soupier-sopa, you should add more broth.  I happen to get angry when I order soup it’s 75% liquid.  It’s also spicy.  If you are sensitive to that sort of thing, you might leave out a jalapeno.

Veggies in soup are almost as good as roasted veggies to me.  I love the way they absorb so much of the flavors in the broth.  Same goes for the chicken!  Speaking of chicken*… if you’re looking for a shortcut you can just buy a plain rotisserie chicken to shred up in this fiesta.  Not that I’ve ever done that… ;)

*This would also be tasty with tempeh or TVP if you’re looking for a meat-free option!

Mexican Chicken Sopa

Topped with avocado, cottage cheese, and cilantro, it’s so delicious you won’t even care the recipe made so much* you’re eating it for an entire week.

*It is also tasty from the freezer.

Mexican Chicken Soup

Mexican Chicken Soup

• 4 split (2 whole) chicken breasts (~20oz)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the chicken breasts on a pan.  Lightly rub with olive oil.  Bake 25-30 mins, or until 170 degrees.  When the chicken is cool enough to handle shred the meat.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pot.  Add onion, jalapeno, celery, carrot, and red peppers and cook over medium heat for ~10 minutes, or until onions begin to brown.  Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Add stock, tomatoes, beans, spices, and cilantro.  Allow soup to come to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 mins.  Add the shredded chicken and adjust seasoning to taste.

Serve soup with your choice of garnishes.  I used avocado, Greek yogurt, and fresh cilantro.

Makes 10 servings.

Happy MLK Day!  Cheers to equality.  And being Marvelous.

Do you have a crock-pot?

Did you get the day off? What are you doing with it?

Comments

Really? I’ve seen some good bean versions. I have the most envy when I see people do baked oats or cakes in them though.

Mmm, I love Mexican chicken soup, even though I now use fake chicken or other substitute. I first made it years ago when I was actually married to a Mexican man (a part of my life I’ve not yet, nor probably ever will, blogged about :-) )

Your recipe looks delicious. I haven’t made it for a while, would love to try your version.

MY KIND OF SOUP!!! Seriously, I refuse to have any soup unless its like 5% liquid..which may defeat its purpose. (Miso and Tom Yum at restaurants are the exceptions!)

I have a crockpot which I use to make beef barbacoa. So good!

I’m pretty sure my slow cooker is my favourite cooking appliance…it’s a useful thing to have. But clearly, you can make fabulous soup without it ;-) i’ve actually been craving Mexican the last few days, so I’ve got enchiladas on the plan for tonight.

I never use my slow cooker and it’s a fairly nice one. I always either over or under cook everything. Guess I should follow a recipe. And I am super jealous of everyone who has today off. It would be nice to have had one more day to get everything done that I put off yesterday ;-)

My crock pot is lovingly referred to as my “sister-wife” because I love it so freaking much! I just made a huge batch of beef chili yesterday and I might make a batch of chicken chili today. :)

I have a crock-pot and I’ve had success using it, but I forget about it a lot since it’s stored deep in the back of my cabinets. I prefer to make meals without like this one, which looks amazing!

Mexican is one of my favorites too….along with Indian, Persian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Italian…oh who am I kidding, I just love food!!

You really need to get yourself a crockpot … you won’t regret it! So fun, easy, and makes big batches so you can freeze things easily. This soup looks delicious, and similar to something I make a lot which often involves tossing in whatever random veggies I have around the house + chicken + spices :). Your spice blend looks better, though!

you know my husband is obsessed with mexican food, flavors, etc. I think we was deprived growing up in NZ. Although they do have amazing thai and indian food there.

This looks delicious!!
    I’m a little sad that you don’t have a crock pot – I wish you lived near me – I would give you one (I have several because I love them!!!).

10. Anonymous says

I love the flavors in this, which isn’t surprising because I also loved Jenn’s soup. I am a fan of liquid based soups, but the Hubby is like you, so my soups always end up somewhere in the middle. It’s all about compromise, and apparently happy marriages are based on hearty soups. Or Mexican flavors. ;)

I’m spending today laying low by the fire with my iPad (see I told you I’d take it easy one day), while the Hubby tries to fix my computer (gulp; this is not the reason I’m taking it easy either; cough, cough).

Well since I work for myself I could take the day off, but not. Too much to do ;) Gary did not have off so he is in the office.
    Do have a crock pot, and only used it a few times to make bone broth and cook brisket. I need to start using it more

Ugh, one of these days I’ll get my act together and use my crock pot more than ONCE a year! Haha! And I keep saying that I’m going to make soup…since my ass is FREEZING (no, literally…I just warmed a Quest bar that was in my lunchbox next to my cooler pack by sitting on it for five minutes! Ha!)…anyWHO, back to soup…yeah, I need some! Mail it to me? ;)

Oh my goodness, this soup looks so good! It has so many colors and the flavors sound really good together. I have to differ from you on the Indian vs. Mexican food thing though, lol! I think I’d rather have curry than a taco. Maybe I should make curried tacos…. hmmm. Strange but good?!

1. […] Mexican Chicken Soup Meyer Lemon Quinoa Pancakes Pomegranate Cheesecake Crepes Sunbutter Swirl Chunky Chocolate Brownies Salted Peanut Butter Chocolates Coffee Pancakes BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Baked Breakfast Turkey Patties Flourless Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Muffins Blueberry Carrot Kale Salad White Chocolate Raspberry Tarts <– using mason jar lids!! Marinated Rainbow Veggie Salad Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pie Slow Cooker Balsamic Pulled Pork Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats 22 Paleo Game Day Recipes Spinach Salad With Potatoes Salted Caramel Oreo Bars Waffle Dippers With Orange Berry Compote Hemp Protein Cocoa Pancakes Spicy & Sticky Coconut Honey Chicken Broccoli Cakes 38 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes Mini Chocolate Covered Banana Milk Shakes Healthier Magic Bars Mocha Crunch Bars […]