Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cake + WIAW

It’s rare that I repeat a meal.

Except dessert.

Variety is one of the keys to staying on track.  I know this is different for everyone, but if I don’t stay entertained by what I’m eating it’s not pretty.  Which is why I’m shocked by this story about a woman eating nothing but Starbucks for a YEAR.

Beatiful-Existence-Starbucks-For-One-Year

The 40-year-old woman, Beautiful Existence, is a mother of two.  Yes, that’s her legal name.  She still cooked for her kids, but – even on holidays – only ate Starbucks food.

She said she spent $500-$600 a month on meals, and ended up saving money and losing weight.  Her first non-Starbucks meal?  Fish and chips from Seattle restaurant chain.

I would’ve done a lot better than that after  year of bagels!

This WIAW I did not eat at Starbucks.  I did repeat a meal, and for that I am ashamed.  Kidding, kidding.

WIAWbutton

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!

Breakfast:

The usual apple cider morning cocktail. was followed by a new muffin creation.  I’ll be sharing this recipe Friday for the #strangebutgood link up.  The veggies you see aren’t even the strange part! :)

#strangebutgood muffins

Mid-Morning Snack:

Mexican Chicken Soup, was on tap this week for meal prep.  I wanted to share the recipe today but didn’t have time to take good decent pics.  Monday!  I will say that it’s very good, it made a TON, and its thick ‘n hearty.  I should probably call it chili…

Mexican chicken suit

Lunch:

Crab was 20% off this week at the market!  It’s one of my favorite seafood items, so I stocked up.  This crab salad had a dressing made from nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and wasabi.  I stilled it with broccoli, sunchokes, and cilantro.  Unpictured were some dried wasabi edamame seeds

I ate the Korean Sweet Potato topped with cinnamon for dessert.  They are so fantastically sweet!

crab salad

Mid-Afternoon Snack:

Did I mention that soup recipe made a ton?  Two-a-days:

Mexican chicken soup

Dinner:

Dinner may look sparse.  I made Sablefish and my BBQ Cauliflower Bites to go on top of an arugula salad.  I was saving room for dessert: cocoa-roasted kabocha topped with peanut flour sauce (I get my peanut flour on iHerb - use discount code USO924 for $5-10 off your order) and cacao nibs.

Sablefish

Kabocha roast

Dessert:

The kabocha dessert was just round 1.  For my midnight snack, I wanted cake.  This chocolate chip masterpiece came complete with chocolate icing, rice whipped cream (farmer’s market find!), and flax seeds.

The coolest part about this recipe is the fact that I used cottage cheese in it.  Cottage cheese melts when it’s heated.  It melted into this cake and formed a marshmallow-esqe filling.  Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cake.  It’s better than Starbucks. ;)

Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cake

Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cake

Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cake

• 1 T whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 T coconut flour
  • 1 T (~8g) vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 C liquid egg whites
  • 3T cottage cheese
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp mini chocolate chips
  • 1 T unsweetened almond milk
  • Stevia, to taste
  • Optional topping: 1 T cocoa powder, 1 T pumpkin puree, Stevia and almond milk to preference

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Stir in wet ingredients, followed by chocolate chips.

Pour into a sprayed microwave-safe bowl and microwave 1:20 mins.

Top as desired.  Consume.

I just realized next Monday is a holiday for those of us in the US.  Woo hoo!!!

Do you repeat meals or strive for variety?

What one food could you eat everyday?

Comments

I CANNOT EVEN FATHOM what it would be like to eat Starbucks every single day for a year. I WOULD GET SO BORED. However, wait? I probably wouldn’t – what am I thinking? I eat pretty much the same thing every day right now! WELL I WOULD DIE without sushi and shawarma….. Starbucks should start selling those things? Errr uhhh…. Caramel Macchiato Sushi anyone?

I could see that. $150-ish in groceries per week, plus another $200 if she goes out to eat a few times? That easily could be a savings. However, I’m not condoning eating Starbuck daily. And Subway is probably cheaper. ;)

I read that story. It kind of grosses me out. I’m good with getting a coffee from Starbucks a few days a week but eating their food? No thanks!

I like variety but I’m pretty boring with breakfast – oatmeal – is my usual but some days I’ll go nuts and have toasted quinoa, pancakes or others. I like it and it works!

I read that story, and I literally could not believe that somebody would willingly do that! I’ve tried their food before, and it is SOOO mediocre. Although, some downtown Starbucks are way nicer than the ones here in Michigan. Like in big cities like New York and Chicago, they have way more variety, but even still it is really limited!

I actually don’t mind repeating meals, because I have my favorites, but I definitely am trying to branch out and try new things, especially going out to restaurants. I just had DUCK for the first time the other day, and it was sublime ;)

It isn’t that I’m afraid to try new things, I just have my favorites that I love so I like to get what I know I’ll like lol!

One food that I could, and usually do, eat everyday are strawberries. Seriously, I love them. And cheese of any kind.

Duck is incredible when it’s done right! I’m so glad you got to try it. I love with with a fruit sauce – beautiful compliment to the decadence. Many with a balsamic-strawberry reduction and some goat’s cheese? ;)

STarbucks for a year – give me a break. My skin would probably look like the one from a teenager and losing weight?? Yeah, let’s have a look at the bodyfat :-)
    I love variety. WHen I am in a hurry I use to repeat meals, cause it’s quicker. but whenever I have the time I love to switch things up!

Man, I thought I was being disciplined by only have one coffee from Starbucks a week! I don’t understand people who eat out all the time but don’t have any variety. A guy I used to work with would buy the exact same lunch every day! Live a little…

I’m looking forward to this Mexican soup recipe!

Everything, especially the soup and cake, sound so good! I don’t think I would have thought to add cottage cheese to a mug cake. I repeat meals all the time. Part of it is because I get into food phases but also because cooking for one is sometimes hard without making enough for multiple meals.

I like their oatmeal in a pinch… but the other stuff is wayyyyy to high in sodium or sugar. And it not fresh! Blech.

that story! oh my goodness! I can’t remember the last time I ate at Starbucks. That said, I do remember the last time I drank there hehe

That dessert looks mighty good. Looking forward to seeing your recipe on Friday!

I saw that story.. sorry, I rather lose weight a different way. :)

That recipe looks delish.. all your food does! :)

Me, ummmm, variety is not my middle name! ;) I could eat bread & cookies & drink coffee every day! :)

K that starbucks story is crazy. How about the guy who lost weight on macdonald’s? PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!

Also can we take a minute to discuss my love of sunchokes. I think I need to do an entire post on their amazingness. You should join in…

The Starbucks thing is insane – I could never eat from one restaurant every meal for a week, let alone a year! Especially something like Starbucks, where they don’t actually have a ton of food options. The mug cake looks awesome!

How on earth do you come up with these recipes? I love it. I am soooo boring with breakfast and lunch and most snacks to be honest. I try to vary dinner at least. Sort of. I get into major ruts mostly b/c I have the same items on hand and know how to throw together the same meals repeatedly. I am in desperate need of new, high protein snacks though.

I heard about that lady & can’t imagine that much on repeat for a whole year!! I do repeat meals throughout the week, but I mix things up (mostly) every week. I typically have two full days of menus with just slight variations from day to day. If I worked from home, I’d have more variety. :)

I got it at the Buford Market – it’s next to the tofu and kombucha. There’s a soy version too. It’s pricey, but I figure it will last a long time. :)

I can’t imagine eating StarBucks every day – they do make a good panini or 2 but still…..
    I’m bummed you didn’t share the recipe for the mexican chicken soup- it looks delicious!!!

People truly blow my mind. I mean, really? Starbucks? Well, I eat the same breakfast most days, so I guess i’m strange too. Definitely making this dessert very soon! I have some cottage cheese in the fridge that’s been staring back at me for far too long.

Silly starbucks lady. I’d rather eat that soup/stew of yours for all my meals.

Actually, if I wasn’t lazy, it would be pancakes. all day, everyday.

Can’t wait for your #strangebutgood creation- I can spot zucchini and cauliflower which are both in my offerings too ;)

I constantly repeat meals because half the time I am so hangry that if I pause to put thought into a new creation, terrible things would happen. Days when I sit in class or drive long distances I have plenty of time to brainstorm meals and that is when the real creations are born.

Starbucks for a YEAR..wow, that is ONE dedicated fan! It is crazy that in every country I have visited (including Cambodia) you can find a Starbucks, I guess it makes for a good diet plan since they literally have a location anywhere + everywhere! Hope you have a great rest of your week Lots of Love C

Wait, is Starbuck’s even real food? That’s just gross. I don’t even understand why you’d want to try something like that.

I like trying new foods, well except tofu and anything that looks really weird, those muffins excluded. Alright so I only half like trying new things, although I suspect you’d be a great influence on broadening my horizons. Just like you did with Sarah. Ha.

Ohhh, I’ve GOT to try this! Publix finally restocked on our favorite cottage cheese (they’ve been out for MONTHS!) so I grabbed a few on my way home from the gym the other day!

Hmm, pretty sure I could eat kabocha every day…as long as someone else would come over and cut the damn thing for me! Haha! I rarely ever repeat meals…which is why I probably put so much extra stress on myself when creating recipes…but that’s a whole different story!

1. […] Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cake was fabulous! I actually subbed the chocolate chips for cacao nibs and whole wheat flour for […]

2. […] Marshmallow Microwave Protein Cake.  Made with chocolate protein powder instead of vanilla and pieces of the white chocolate-raspberry Quest bar instead of chocolate chips.  Topped with a mix of Greek yogurt cream cheese and Walden Farms caramel sauce.  I have no words. […]

3. […] I love to put it in the blender to whip it into icing.  It melts like a tasty marshmallow in my protein mug cake.  There’s something  satisfying about the sweet and salty flavors when you swirl it into […]