Strange But Good: Creamy Blue Cheese & Wasabi

I struggle with brevity in recipe-naming.

Funny, because I’m always telling my mom she uses too many words.

I really wanted to name this Wasabi-Avocado-Blue Cheese Massaged Kale and Broccoli Salad.  Despite my restraint, the title is still too long.  How does one communicate all of the delicious elements of a dish in 3-5 words?!  I feel so trapped.

In writing out my original title, you probably already have an understanding of what this salad is.  Wasabi and blue cheese dressing was a strange combo to me when I first had it in Portland, but it was so good that my sister and I couldn’t stop eating it.

Creamy Blue Cheese & Wasabi Kale Salad

Naturally, I had to recreate it at home.  I used Lighthouse Blue Cheese (a Greek yogurt-based dressing).  Maybe not the cleanest ingredient, but it’s good and not too bad for you as far as dressings go.  I amped up the cream-factor (I can’t re-read that without laughing) by mashing avocado into it.  The wasabi I used is a paste, but you could also use the powdered variety.  Adjust it to your liking… I like it really hot.

What you are left with is a delicious tangy, spicy coating for your kale salad.  You’ll also love the texture contrast between the sturdy kale and the creamy dressing.  I added some broccoli and grapes in mine, and topped it with fish (you know I need my protein).

Creamy Blue Cheese & Wasabi Kale Salad

The best part is that, because kale is so hearty, you can make it a day or two in advance and take it to work!

Creamy Blue Cheese & Wasabi

Creamy Blue Cheese & Wasabi Kale Salad

• 2 T blue cheese dressing
  • 1/4 fresh avocado, mashed
  • Wasabi paste, to taste
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • ~2 C Kale

In a small bowl, mix together blue cheese, avocado, wasabi, and pepper.

Place kale in a large bowl and massage the dressing into the leaves.

Can be made 1-2 days in advance and stored in fridge.

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week? The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends! Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

Between the shock of being back in the office after the holidays and the insane weather, I couldn't be happier for this week to END.

What is your favorite salad dressing?

Are you on a greens kick?  I can't get enough after Dessert December!

Comments

The number of times growing up I’ve mistaken wasabi as avocado..and never thought to combine! you are a genius! Lucky I can call you my twin, so claim some of this genius genes. GG.

PS- We clearly are twins because I know when you post. ;) Just kidding, I think after all these #strangebutgood actions I have it covered. Another winner from you here!

I love blue cheese! I know it polarizes, but I’m all for it. Never thought to combine it with wasabi and avocado though – but as always I trust you!
    Now we don’t have kale here (no, I’m not kidding) so I will probably have to go with china kale or rocket!

I remember you saying that. I still can’t fathom not having kale. I think chard would be good if you can find it! Rocket might be too delicate.

That blue cheese OPA is good and way better for you than regular blue cheese, I also like their Thai Peanut dressing, it’s not even made with peanuts so I don’t know WHAT it actually is, but mmmmm on everything. Oh, and their huckleberry dressing. Lot’s of times though, I just put mashed avocado and salsa on my salad for the dressing. . . .

Going to take your word on this one. Now my husband would probably love it. But I am not a blue cheese fan and as much as I love hot food, I don’t like wasabi. Not sure what it is about it. It’s not so much the heat but the flavor of it I think. But I can imagine this would pair really well with the kale since kale can stand up to bolder flavors.

5. Parita @ myinnershakti says

I ALWAYS have to go back and re-read my emails, blog posts, etc. several times to see if I can remove words. And even then, I look back and think, “Oh, I could have said that in this way and it would have made so much more sense AND it would have been shorter.” Ah, such is life!

And I love having the kind of restaurant meal that I can’t wait to recreate at home. That’s how you know it was good!

Ohhhh this totally reminds me that I think my recipe today is #strangebutgood! I’m so excited – going back to edit and link up here :). And as always, you’ve succeeded in combining two things that I NEVER would have thought of, but that look delicious!

This sounds so good! I love wasabi and bolt house blue cheese dressing is my favorite! I have never used wasabi at home, only gotten it when out but it might be fun to try to use at home with this tasty salad!

1. […] post is linked to Laura’s Strange But Good because hello, pancake plates. It’s also linked to She Eats’ Fresh Food because it […]

2. […] post is linked to What I Ate Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not, Real Food Wednesday, Strange But Good and Recipe […]

3. […] Cod with a side of asparagus, zucchini, and parsley mixed with my wasabi-blue cheese dressing. […]