Coconut Curried Chicken + WIAW

No one likes a complainer.

Especially me.

I’m making an exception.  It’s COLD.  This arctic tundra has got to go.  I live in the South.  I should never see this:

no global warming

Ice in my shower is something else I should never have to see.  I left my faucet dripping just like the newsman said because we hit a record low of 6 degrees in Atlanta.  When I woke up, I was rewarded with an ice-lined tub.

Try motivating to shower for work when faced with this:

frozen shower

This WIAW I am FINALLY back on track.  I had the biggest meal prep in weeks on Sunday and felt ready to get back to the “real” world of having a routine.WIAWbuttonRead on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else’s delicious creations!

Breakfast:

Step 1: Apple cider morning cocktail.

Step 2: Something warm. A baked oatmeal muffin cut in half and grilled with a little butter, cinnamon egg whites, and blackberries.

baked oatmeal and egg

The baked oatmeal was a new version of my Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal.  I used pumpkin puree instead of sweet potato, and subbed 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder for a cup of the oats.  The protein powder was sweet enough, so I didn’t use anything additional.  I’ll be making these again!

Mid-Morning Snack:

Chicken, sugar peas, kabocha, and hummus.  The hummus was the “healthy omegas” thing Whole Foods makes.  It has olive oil and walnuts and is really, really good.

chicken and hummus

Lunch:

My culinary ethnicity is more diverse than my genes (and my jeans – I wear the same 2 pairs over and over).  I adore Indian food.  As part of this week’s food prep I made a coconut-curry chicken.

It was surprisingly good!  I love the sweetness of the coconut milk with the spiced-up curry.  Just enough of a flavor add to enhance rather than overwhelm.  It was delicious and warming, especially with a quick saute of Skinny Noodles shirataki noodles, roasted tomatoes, cauliflower, and kale.

coconut curry chicken

I wish I’d taken better pictures, but I’m sharing the recipe at the bottom of this post anyway.

Mid-Afternoon Snack:

I go through phases with different fishes.  Right now I’m having a torrid affair with Turbot.  It looks like tilapia, but it is much for flavorful.  It’s rich and mild at the same time.  I put it on top of a kale salad tossed with Greek yogurt blue cheese dressing and eggplant chips.

Turbot

Dinner:

Dinner was leftovers from a few days ago.  I forgot I made a chili-esque bean thing and shoved the leftovers in the back of the fridge.  It was perfect after a very cold drive home.  Ever more perfect was the avocado and sriracha on top.

bean chili

Dessert:

Cold days call for warm cake.  I made my 150 Calorie Chocolate Cake recipe and topped it with cocoa-roasted kabocha, peanut flour sauce (I get mine on iHerb - use discount code USO924 for $5-10 off your order), rice whipped cream (farmer’s market find!), and cacao nibs.

Do I need to tell you how awesome this was?!

chocolate cake

Coconut Curried Chicken

Coconut Curried Chicken

• 1 lb boneless chicken breast
  • 1/2 C Greek yogurt
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 C coconut milk
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 T grated ginger
  • 1 T dried cilantro (or 2 T fresh)
  • 2 tsp curry powder (I use salt-free)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 paprika (optional, depending on the heat of your curry)

Cut the chicken into large cubes and set side.

Place the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.  Add in the chicken and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or overnight).

Preheat oven to 375.  Place chicken on grill pan and bake for 15-20 mins, until they reach 170 degrees.

Note: If you have a grill, these could also be skewered and grilled.

On a serious note, I do hope everyone is safe and warm.  Hearing it’s -40 wind chill in places makes me hurt for you.  And to those people at my office still taking your smoke breaks… I admire your dedication. ;)

How cold is it where you are?

How diverse are your culinary genes?

Comments

HA! If you’re trying to entice me to come visit you in Atlanta, you’re doing a bad job, LOL! I think you wanna come to Los Angeles, the weather is sexyyyy! Or so I have heard – GOING BACK TOMORROW!!! Frigid TEMPS be damned!

PS: Those eggplant chips with TURBOT – OHHHHHH NO YOU DIDN’T! (MUCH healthier than tilapia!) ;)

I have been obsessed with coconut milk lately- making everything with it- oats, curries, smoothies. What a terrible surprise to wake up to..or rather shower to.

Coming from a mixed background, I have no qualms with embracing those ‘genes’…since coming across your blog, it has gone a whole new level. Thanks. don’t freeze. Let them eat cake.

I LOVE to cook my chicken in coconut milk! Even better marinated in it for a few hours.
    I feel sorry for you guys. It’s cold here, but it’s hardly below zero which is unusual for Switzerland. Touch wood that it stays like this, but I fear that we will get some of your wave coming here next week!

i like indian food but have never tried making it… your recipe seems SUPER simple though (my kind of recipe!) and i have most of the ingredients in hand – saving for later!

I adore Indian food too! And those roasted eggplant chips = yum! I would eat through a day of your eats anytime!
    Funny – but I had flourless chocolate cake last night too – it must be this cold weather – I was so happy to see 17 degrees this morning in Atlanta, instead of yesterday’s 6!

We had -40 wind chill yesterday morning…I refused to leave the apartment :-S
    And as for my culinary genes….they’re all over the place. I love Japanese, Mexican, Thai, Italian, (real) Chinese….basically, I think the vast majority of ethnic cuisines are more interesting than the SAD!

I can’t even begin to imagine -40… they’d have to shut down the entire city. We don’t have clothes warm enough!

Back at it too. Feel good :)

Lovin’ the eats! Dessert looks fab.

It’s super cold here. -31c yesterday. I’m looking forward to some warmer temperatures!

I would rather not shower for days than get in that ice torture chamber!! Our hot water heater went out NEw Year’s Eve and we were without for 72 hours . . . . . hello, really really long hot gym shower

Our temps plummeted here too – it was 10 with 2 windchill yesterday. I feel like I can’t complain too much though as we don’t have 2 feet of snow or negative temps. Though drain pipe froze so heat was out downstairs. Brrrr.

It’s pretty cold here in Beantown, but at least we are used to it. I’ve been recovering from the flu, so anytime I go outside and my lungs fill with the cold air I immediately get into coughing fit, boo.

These eats look so tasty, I can’t wait to try the curry chicken!

11. Elyse says

It was so cold & windy here yesterday that every time i walked outside (from my house to my car, from my car to my office) i uncontrollably cried. im surprised my tears didnt freeze!

ive been trying a bunch of your recipes lately & must say that im loving pumpkin PB eggs & maple zucchini batter!

recipe looks great too, but a quick question for ya – are you using coconut milk from the carton or the can?

Oh, that makes me hurt for you!!! Hope you’re all warmed up now. :)

Thank you so much for the feedback – I’m glad you liked them both. In the recipe I’m using the real-deal in the can.

I wear the same jeans over and over again, too! They’re just perfect and so comfy, I can’t help it, ya know? I bet 6* was COLD in Atlanta!! That’s seriously low for the South!!

I can’t believe how cold it is in Atlanta (and everywhere on the East Coast). It was in the high 40s here yesterday and I think it’s the same today – although there is snow on the ground (it’s lasted 3 whole days, which is crazy!).

Man, seeing all these US/Canadian weather reports is making me glad I live in London (for now, anyway!). We haven’t dropped below 50 Fahrenheit yet this winter….. which is good because anything colder than that and I start getting very miserable!! I’m still wearing hoodies outside with no jacket, it’s awesome :D

crazy how cold it has been. I knew January was a cold month but this is CRAZY!!! I go on walks with Jax and I can see my breathe during the day!! just insane. dreaming of warm weather :)

That’s weird that you have ice in the tub – is you tub on an outside wall?
    I’ve never been a coconut fan but since this recipe just calls for coconut milk and not actual coconut, I might really like it!!!

Okay, that’s an easy and delicious recipe that I can totally make. You’ve always got such interesting combinations.

Our weather is “cold” for California. I have to wear socks or my moccasins everywhere. I’ve never heard of ice in the tub, even when I lived in NC! Stay warm and wear socks!

Apparently they do a better job insulating up there – they didn’t expect those temps in GA! :)

Please do come to ATL! It already warmed up some!

I’m so glad the temperatures are finally warming up some, the beginning of this week was brutal. While everything looks good, the chicken sounds wonderful! I have recently discovered I love Indian food and this chicken recipe sounds easy enough that I could make it at home :)

I swear sometimes we share the same brain! I was JUST thinking of a combination like this to put with my Thai Lime rice that Tasty Bite sent me…I was hoping to get it done BEFORE I put the review up on the blog, but it just didn’t happen. And with my track record with reviews, I didn’t figure I should waste any more time (you know, since they sent me the product in AUGUST!) Don’t laugh at my expense…I have ADD…and never enough friggin LIGHT for good pictures! #foodbloggerproblems! Anywho, yeah, come curry and coconut milk is getting slapping on some chicken titties soon! ;)