Brussels and Prosciutto Skewers

Apparently there’s a Brussels gene.

I got the version that is addicted to them.

For the New Years Eve pairing dinner I co-hosted, I made Brussels and Prosciutto Skewers.  People loved them… except I was told by one person that there is a gene (like the cilantro gene) where some people think they taste bitter.

Apparently about 50% of the world has this gene.  If you’re not one of those unfortunate people, you’ll love this recipe. (Recipe at the bottom of post.)

Brussels and Prosciutto Skewers

The crispy, slightly sweet brussels are fabulous against the salty prosciutto.  If you don’t eat meat you could use a vegan bacon.

The best part is that these are insanely easy to make, but will impress everyone with its look and taste.  There were multiple choruses of “how cute!!!”  Who doesn’t love food on a stick?!

Brussels and Prosciutto Skewer

The rest of the New Years Eve meal was wonderful as well.  We ate in courses.  Munchies were first and included  these skewers, Black-Eyed Pea & Roasted Garlic Hummus with veggies, and a baked brie layered with a mix of roasted garlic, paprika, and sun-dried tomatoes.

Then we enjoyed a salad course where I served my Roasted Grape & Kabocha Kale Salad.  The main was co-host Karen’s creation – Sriracha pulled pork sliders with slaw and an aioli, both made with Sriracha.  Karen received the Sriracha cookbook for Christmas.  I want a copy!

Dessert was this (vegan) Caramel Apple Blackout Cake.  As advertised, it wasn’t a pretty cake.  What it lacked in looks, it made up for in taste.  Surprisingly, it isn’t too sweet!  It was the perfect end to a big meal.

NYE dinner

There was also a lot of bubbly and the obligatory midnight toast.

And then I walked across the street to my place and passed out.

NYE 2014My girl Katie would agree it was pretty marvelous.

Brussels & Prosciutto Skewers

Brussels and Prosciutto Skewers

• Brussels sprouts, rinsed
  • Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Thinly sliced prosciutto

Preheat oven to 400.

Trim just the smallest edge of the ends of your sprouts – don’t trim much because you want them to hold together.  Slice the Brussels sprouts in half, lengthwise.

Toss the sprouts on a parchment (or foil) lined baking sheet with the oil and pepper.  Bake for 30 minutes total, tossing them half way through.

While they roast, chop up the prosciutto into small bits.  Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.  Saute the prosciutto until crispy (~5 mins).  Set aside.

Remove the sprouts from the oven and let them cool enough to touch.  Slide on a sprout half, skewer it onto a toothpick, add a couple of slices of prosciutto, then end it with the other sprout half.  Repeat until you have the desired amount of skewers.

Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.*

*Note: You can make these in advance and re-heat them under the broiler for a couple of minutes (until warmed through) before serving.

After the glory of holiday indulgence, I celebrated this weekend by doing the biggest food prep I’ve done in a long time.  Time to get back on track!

Do you like Brussels?  Have you ever heard of the bitter Brussels gene?

What did you do New Years Eve?

Comments

I think everything on a skewer tastes better! I only discovered it’s Brussels not Brussel sprouts the other day. And I called myself a fan… I’m sure I don’t have the gene though!

If it’s on a toothpick, it’s free ;) That’s a good rule of thumb to apply at Costco :P

These’s look great! I’ve been wanting to make a ‘meal of appetizers’ lately, I like the idea instead of sharing a platter … I get it all to myself ;) These, along with mini-quiche will be the basis of my platter meal.

Prosciutto is good with everything, especially more prosciutto :D

I love these!! They really look so cute!
    I find that Brussels do taste bitter if I boil them, but not if I bake them. Maybe I’m weird. But so I prefer them baked. And I bet this combo is heaven!
    I was at a party on the 30th which got a little out of hand (fun-wise), so I had to pass out at 11 on NYE. Yeah, getting older :-)

I love brussels sprouts, but not the price tag. Worst. Dude, prosciutto is the ALMOST as good as bacon. My mum’s best friend is Italian and gives us a slab each Christmas. Instead of slicing it paper thin, I often just eat a chunk. It’s just too good!

Ooh – I do love Brussels sprouts and have to agree with your merrymakers – this appetizer is too cute- and on a stick too!!! BS with caramelized onions was a highlight at our Christmas dinner, but think prosciutto would have been a better accompaniment.

that’s really funny about the brussels gene! i was asked to bring a green last night to my in-laws for dinner and my friend was there who doesn’t like brussels at all! maybe she has the gene?!

I have NOT heard of that gene, interesting! Brussels sprouts do taste a bit bitter to me, but I like them anyway. So, what did I do for new year’s eve — ate Cioppino and had a side of Brussels Sprouts (seriously)!

The Brussles gene! I can’t wait to read that article! No one in my family likes em except my brother and I. Weird! More for us, though ;).

I bet Brussles + prosciutto is such a great combo!

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful combination! I really don’t know anyone in that 50%! Everyone I associate with loves brussels (aka baby cabbages) as much as I do! ;) Will definitely have to try it for my next get together!

Vishnu would love these little bites! I made him some asparagus wrapped in prosciutto over Christmas vacay and he was in love with the stuff. :)

Glad you had a very happy new year with lots of good food and friends. That’s the way to do it!

I’ve never heard of the Brussels gene, but the Hubby doesn’t like them. Which means of course, I am now on a mission to convince him otherwise. It will happen.
    I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who passed out that night…er I mean slept soundly.

These look amazing! Maybe I could get le hubs to eat brussels this way ;)

I didn’t do ANYTHING exciting new years. Seriously I think I was passed out by 10:30 b/c I’m a party animal.

I’m coming to your house next New Year’s! OK? :)

I definitely got the “obsessed with brussels sprouts gene.” My family did not. My dad literally (I am not making this up) spit out a bite of roasted veggies with brussels sprouts in them that I made him eat on Christmas. He then said, “Why would you do that to me.” Guess he got the bad gene!

Omg, these ARE super cute! Nothing like roasted brussels and salty bacon-y goodness! It’s been forever since I’ve had some proscuitto <- dear God, I can never spell that correctly! Is it right? HELL NO, I just Googled it! Whatevs! Your NYE looks about 3726548730 times better than mine was…at work…with the crazy people!

You should just come here for NYE. You can GOOGLE the address and I’ll have the proscuitto and brussels ready to go.

1. […] Friday: This will be something easy for the adults.  Maybe a pan of roasted veggies.  I saw this fun brussel sprout and prosciutto recipe. […]

2. […] Brussels & Prosciutto Skewers Lentil Enchilada Wonton Cups Thai Peanut Chicken Bowls Return of Meatless Mondays A-Z! 5 Salad in a Jar Combos How to Make Salted Caramel Without A Candy Thermometer Edamame & Black Bean Salad Cranberry Apple Baked Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Lessons in baking San Francisco Sourdough Vegan Pesto Slow Cooker Thai Chicken How To Drink (or Eat) More Green Tea Thai Chicken Tacos Cinnamon Roll Pull Apart Bread GF Orange Pancakes with Wild Blueberry Sauce Sweet Potato & Cheddar Pancakes Banana Yogurt Oatmeal Pancakes Shrimp & Tofu Pad Thai 21 Meals With Tons of Protein And No Meat […]