Sriracha. The New Pumpkin.

I’m ahead of the “trendy” curve.

This is a first.

According to this article, sriracha may be the new pumpkin.  Many of you saw the chips.  They have now gone so far as to turn it into a vodka flavor.

sriracha vodka

Why does EVERYTHING good need to be turned into vodka?  I like a good drink, and I admit that a sriracha Bloody Mary sounds good… but PB&J?  Really?

The point was going to be that I like sriracha before it was cool.  Before the pumpkin obsession.  Before even the bacon obsession.  So there.  Pass me a pumpkin-bacon-sriracha martini.

This WIAW felt like it was going to be “meh” after a rushed food prep.  Looking back it didn’t turn out too badly.  I’m pressed for time, but having quick proteins has helped – on busy weeks I rely on no-salt deli turkey and rotisserie chicken.  With a few simple flavor adds, semi-homemade tastes pretty good!   WIAWbuttonRead on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else delicious creations!

Breakfast:

It hasn’t cured my cold, but the day still began with my apple cider morning cocktail.

I crave random things when I’m sick, so breakfast was even more random than usual.  Cinnamon-ginger egg white scramble with strawberries, topped with hemp cereal and Apricot-Riesling Greek yogurt cream cheese from Atlanta Farm Fresh.

random scramble

Mid-Morning Snack:

I lost track of time, so this was more like lunch.  I had my salmon with snow peas and Roots spinach hummus (a Whole Foods find), but I got pulled into a meeting that had lunch brought in… so I added a little supplement in the form of a chopped salad and a cookie.  I went back for seconds on the cookies.

Lunch:

Shredded rotisserie chicken (naked from Whole Paycheck) made an appearance again this week.  I meant to make a giant batch of a hearty soup Monday night, but I made it super-thick so it’s more like casserole.  Whatever.  It included swiss chard, sweet potato, onion, garlic, and a ton of Indian spices.

soup-ish

Mid-Afternoon Snack:

I ended up working really, really late so I was especially grateful for my desk snacks.  I love this bar.

think thin protein bar

Dinner:

Dinner was late, but I had to make something warming when I finally did get home.  Skinny Noodles shirataki noodles were a quick and easy base for this marinara and turkey dish.  I used Whole Foods’ no salt tomato sauce, but added mushrooms, cayenne, nutritional yeast, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.

skinny noodles shirataki

Dessert:

Total comfort food.  I used my 150 Calorie Chocolate Cake recipe to make a pumpkin version with vanilla protein powder, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spices.  I alternated between shoveling this in my mouth and trying to savor each bite… it was SO good!

Pumpkin Mug Cake

The icing on this cake was the icing – Cocoa Pumpkin.  I mixed cocoa powder, cinnamon, pumpkin puree, coconut flour, almond milk, and liquid vanilla Stevia to make one helluva fluffy topper.  With a dollop of Tru Whip and cacao nibs.

Maybe I should make a sriracha flavor.  With a shooter. ;)

I’m back home but sick and crazy busy… blogging is taking a back seat this week, but I promise to have a fantastic (my mom’s assessment!) #strangebutgood recipe up on Friday!

Would you buy sriracha vodka?

How are you surviving the holiday insanity?  Vodka?

Comments

Time to admit it: I’ve never tried sriracha. Ever.

But blogs can change your attitude to anything I’m learning (zucchini in oats, I would never! … Maybe)

I’ve only recently started to hunt for sriracha. It’s not in most supermarkets here, but I have spotted it in one of the Chinese grocery stores last week – I am going to have to go buy it to find out what the fuss is all about. But if it’s what I think it is then the flavoured vodka is pushing it. Just.

Meanwhile because it’s summer here, rotisserie chicken is making into just about every salad I prepare. Served cold = x10 better than hot :D

I went through a stage of eating so much sriracha, my mum put a ban on it. So I started on this brand of hot sauce which was identical :D

Not sure how I’d feel about the vodka though…I remember being perplexed whn I was in the states to see PB flavoured vodka…Australia think they are so cool because we have apple vodka. Yep, mind blowing.

I love that dinner. I have it often. The marinara sauce with balsamic is so tasty! It’s so crazy to see how much Sriracha is growing world wide. I remember enjoying it back when I was just a wee FU.

You know I’m a total pansy when it comes to sriracha so I think I’ll pass on the cocktail hour, but helLOOOOOO gimme some of that boozy cream cheese! YUM!! Oh and I’ll take a side of cookie with that too…please and thank you!

Hope you get to feeling better soon hon! I know you and I know you’re probably not sleeping all that much, but maybe try to work in at least ONE night of 8 hours rest? xoxo

My husband got to try horseradish vodka a few weeks ago. And he liked it. But I’d pass. I prefer my vodka either plain or sweet. Currently, I have a very delicious caramel flavored vodka at home. But this month my drink of choice is mulled wine, either home-made or store-bought. Sometimes a girl just needs a strong drink.

Haha – I’m munching on one from my desk right now. :)

Good call on adding your own -I’ve been doing that for years at bloody mary bars.

I saw some crazy flavors on Ellen the other day – I am thinking not! :) I am not a drinker so.. I don’t have to worry.

I stopped at the cookie, lingered, thought of you eating it & back for more – I think I forgot the rest of the post! ;)

I have a thing for crazy-flavoured vodkas (my current stash includes birthday cake, chocolate, and fruit loop) so I’d absolutely try the sriracha version…I’m not sure what i’d mix it with though, considering that I don’t like tomato juice (and therefore, Bloody Mary’s). I’d make it work somehow though ;-)

1. I made tabasco peanut butter cookies three years ago at least, very early in my blogging days. So take that ‘sririacha in everything’ people.
    2. Stop being sick. Okay?
    3. Your cookie makes me happy.

When it comes to vodka I just like it straight up with muddled cucumber…I cannot do sweet or strange flavors. Although one of my favorite restaurants does the BEST espresso martini…da’BOMB! Everyone is getting sick right now and I’m just trying to steer clear of that with good eats, hydration, and REST. We’ll see…

I am huge wuss when it comes to anything hot so I don’t actually like sriacha – yes start the hate reply comments now ;)

I NEED to try your cake recipe it sounds great.

I understand why you went back for more of that cookie, it looks delicious and makes me want a cookie myself now now now!

I actually broke down and bought the cilantro Absolut Vodka (I drink my signature Bloody Mary Spritzers a lot) and it was….. interesting.
    Won’t do it again.
    Next on my list needs to be this sriacha (I call it Rooster Sauce becasue the original sriracha IMO is the one with the rooster on it.