Strange But Good: Pumpkin Beer Bread (or Muffins)

My mom should have been a chef.

Everyone says that, but this is legit.

Growing up, she used to make the best breakfasts.  Maybe that’ where I get my love of the meal?  One of my favorites was her bread.  She mad it the old-fashioned way from a starter that she had to feed.  When it baked I could smell it all the way upstairs in my room.

As soon as she removed it from the over, mom brushed salted butter over the top, creating the perfect sweet-and salty crust.  The best part was that she brought it to me with coffee as I got ready in the morning… and the next day she used it to make french toast (which she also delivered to me… how spoiled was I?!  Thanks, Mom!)

This post is not that bread.  My mother’s daughter is too lazy for starters.  My bread is baked with pumpkin beer.  Strange… but good.

Anderson Valley Pumpkin Ale Bread

I feel a little less ashamed about my bread-laziness because my mom did taste and love this bread.  She even had me send her the recipe the day after I brought it to Thanksgiving!  Maybe it was the beer talking?

This idea isn’t my own – I saw Raven’s recipe weeks ago and pinned it to try.  I couldn’t help but to add my own spin after reading her recipe, and it’s inspiration from Cooking Light.

Pumkin Beer Bread

This must be the healthiest beer bread in the world.  I’m always nervous when I start switching up flours, sugars, and fats to lighten up a dish, but I couldn’t have been more proud when this came out perfectly… and when mom asked to keep the leftovers.

Egg whites and Greek yogurt replace some of the fat while keeping the bread moist, and give it an almost silk-y canvas.  Almond meal adds a great texture to that, and the spices compliment the pumpkin flavor perfectly.  And the beer?  It was a great yeast, but you wouldn’t know it was there if I hadn’t told you.

Pumpkin Beer Muffins

The original recipe makes two loaves, but I decided one was enough and used half of the batter for muffins.  I liked the muffins better because they are easier to freeze and keep on-hand for single-servings.  Also, the cooking time is much shorter… perfect for my impatient self.

Pumpkin Beer Bread

Pumpkin Beer Bread (or Muffins)

• 2 C whole wheat flour (unbleached)
  • 1¼ C almond meal
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 C water
  • 1/4 C ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/2 C xylitol (or more plain sugar)
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1/3 C Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 C canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 C egg whites
  • 1 – 15oz can of pumpkin
  • 3/4 C cup Anderson Valley Pumpkin beer

Preheat oven to 350°.  Prepare 2 bread pans or muffin tins.

Combine flour, meal, baking soda, baking powder, and spices in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.

In small bowl, combine water and flaxseed.  Set aside.

Place sugars, yogurt, oil, and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended.  Add flaxseed mixture, pumpkin, and beer; beat at low speed just until blended.

Add flour mixture; beat just until combined.  Divide batter between pans.

Bake bread for 1 hour, muffins for 12-15 mins, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool at least 10 mins in pan before removing.

Makes 2 loaves, or 24 muffins.

Approximate nutrition (for 1 muffin): 164 calories, 6.8 g fat, 8.8 mg cholesterol, 122.8 mg sodium, 23.7 g carbohydrates, 3.1 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 4.5 g protein

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week? The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends! Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

I know I didn't appreciate it enough as a kid, but I am so grateful to my mom for taking the time to prepare homemade food for my sisters and me.  It was an act of love, and continues to shape who I am today.

Have you ever made bread?  The old-fashioned way?

Did your mom make you breakfast growing up?  After preschool... I'll assume you were fed as a baby. ;)

Comments

I’ve made a few quick breads, using either yeast or baking powder, but I also don’t have the patience for a starter.
    My mother-in-law should have opened a restaurant, too! That’s what I always tell her. Her food is amazing!

I strange and NOT good for not having a recipe up for the first times in yonks…but I had to perfect the Anzac biscuit pancake recipe which only got perfected today. ;)

I literally bought yeast today to try my hand at bread but every recipe calls for making it ‘sit’ for at least an hour. Don’t know if I can be bothered….

When you come visit Australia I’ll get my mum to make you a Persian feast..with some #strangebutgood action.

Seriously girl, this bread looks so perfect. I can smell it until here! So nice of your Mom to bring you breakfast up – I was spoiled with breakfast too, Mom used to make huge muesli-yogurt-fruit-bowls or fresh bread with butter and homemade jelly. Hmmm.

I haven’t made bread in ages,but it does make the whole house smell amazing! I’ve done friendship bread from a starter, but that was at least 15 years ago, maybe longer. I can’t remember the last time i had beer bread, but I remember it’s good!!!

I have an AMAZING recipe for pumpkin beer bread I adapted that involves sage and cheese and caramelized onions. Oh, yum. Speaking of moms and breads, Mama Smart was obsessed with making beer bread for awhile–so much so that she would keep batches of the dry ingredients in the pantry so she could pull some out, grab a can of beer, and bake at any time! :)

This looks delish! I don’t think I will ever get tired of pumpkin, or beer for that matter haha!

My mom usually just gave us cereal in the morning, but she made wonderful home cooked meals every evening for the family. She also worked full time and carted us kids around to all of our sporting events for which I’m very grateful.

Yay for moms :)

OK, I’ll say the unpopular thing … my mom should NOT have been a chef :). She is amazing and good at so many things, but hates cooking and … well … it kind of shows. Ha! She’s learning to love it more now, though! Your bread looks delicious, not that I’m surprised!

Homemade breakfast delivered to your ROOM?! I was lucky to get a bowl of oat meal from a friggin PACKET!! Haha! My mom used to cook for dinner though…and I still love a bunch of stuff she would make. Her pot roast and veggies or chicken pot pie? YUM! But on Sundays she would always make a big breakfast of eggs, bacon, biscuits, and home fries…which is exactly what I had her make for my birthday this year! LOVE!

Oh and guess what?! I got the best news on my birthday! This year, for Christmas, we’re doing BRUNCH!!! Ahhhh! Eat all the biscuits!…and eggs…and bacon…and pancakes…and omg, I’m gonna be hurting! Lol

Awwwww…. I didn’t know oatmeal CAME in packets. LOL! My mom was Betty Crocker. :) Your mom’s breakfast sounds delicious. Especially for Christmas brunch. I still need to figure out what I’m making! Gah!

I would be too! Last winter I finally bit the bullet and baked a giant one. It did freeze really well so I could have it on hand!

You know how I’ve been nagging you for this recipe for weeks? Because I had beer and several cans of pumpkin in my kitchen, just waiting? WELL THIS WEEK I DRANK THE BEER AND BAKED OTHER THINGS WITH THE PUMPKIN AND NOW I HAVE NONE OF IT AND I REFUSE TO GO OUTSIDE AGAIN INTO THE SNOWSTORM.

So you should make this for me, spread it with melted butter, and deliver please and thank you.

Dooooode! I didn’t know you really were going to make it. I’d have emailed it to you. :P

I’m not sure it would travel well with the melted butter… but I’m willing to try it!

• says

I find it amusing that I wrote this message to you during a snowstorm, and you replied a week later… and now I’m living through an ice storm that has cut power to 250,000 homes and caused all the streetcars to not run. Why aren’t I living in Atlanta already with you? ;)

• says

Oh my gosh, that wasn’t at all about when you comment! It was about the awfulness of Toronto’s weather :) I don’t know how you fit everything you do into your days :) x

1. […] head over to the link parties at What I Ate Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Strange But Good, and Show Off […]