Accidental Long Runs + Mizuno Wave Rider 17 Review

Cardio hasn’t been fun recently.

The following post is sponsored by Fitfluential LLC on behalf of Mizuno. All opinions are my own.

I like cardio when it’s MY idea.  Having it as a mandatory daily activity during competition prep makes it a chore.  That’s a thing of the past (for now), and I have gotten the itch to run more.  The added motivation of new shoes doesn’t hurt.  Does anyone else get oddly motivated by new workout gear?!

I’ve never had the chance to try out a Mizuno running shoe.  When I got the opportunity to try the new Wave Rider 17, I jumped at it!  It’s a neutral running shoe with a good amount of support.

Mizuno Wave Rider 17

After all of the Thanksgiving festivities and football disappointments, I was itching for a run.  Sunday I headed out to tackle Atlanta’s hilly streets in my new Wave Riders.

There wasn’t a distance goal for my run.  My body isn’t used to running distance, so I assumed I’d do about 3 miles and call it quits.  I ended up going strong for 5 miles!  It could be some of the carb-loading I did, but I swear these shoes made me feel like I was being propelled forward.  I ran out of time before I ran out of gas.

5 miles

(Runner’s) High 5!

Technical Details on the 8.8 oz Wave Rider 17:

• U4ic midsole is 30% lighter than standard, but still provided cushioning
  • Upgraded dissolving upper fit with new DMF execution and soft, supple mesh materials (read: this means its light and not bulky)
  • New sockliner with increased resiliency and responsiveness
  • SmoothRide Engineer for a Brilliant Run
  • Lateral Forefoot Sculpting for smooth touchdown and transition (this really made a difference in my stride and speed)
  • Blown rubber forefront is another weight-reducer, and the deep flex grooves make for optimal flexibility and cushioning

Mizuno Wave Rider 17

Last week I also did a little bouncing around in the gym when my new shoes.  I was supposed to be “resting,” so I lifted lighter and was able to do some HIIT moves between sets.

Here are my favorite moves to incorporate to keep the heart rate up:

Between set HIIT ideas

The Wave Rider 17s were light and easy to move in.  I really like the way the heel fits – no slipping!

These tennis shoes will be unleashed to the public on December 5th for $114.95 MSRP.  They would make a great gift to yourself or others (if you didn’t get it all done on Black Friday).

My “rest” time is over this week – time for some heavy weights!  Leg day is going to be the gift that keeps on giving…

Have you had unexpected long(er) runs? That normally only happens when I get lost.

Do you call them tennis shoes?  Sneakers?  Others?  I think tennis shoes is a Southern thing

Comments

When I was a runner, I moved house and went to “explore” my new running route. I accidentally went running for 2.5 hours (I usually ran for an hour max!) – it felt like a long time but I was so caught up in the new beautiful environment by the beach :) Now, can you imagine me “accidentally” running for 2.5 hours?!?!?!

I’m loving my new kicks too! Growing up in the upper midwest we called them “tennie’s” but now I say sneakers. When I lived in Virginia people would say tennis shoes and I actually thought they meant shoes for playing tennis in only!

Sneakers and runners! Every time I right sneakers, the grammar check goes crazy lol

Lovin’ the kicks! *I guess I say that too*

I ran my first 10k, Beast and Half-Marathon in Mizunos. Lots of memories riding in those shoes!

Long rungs are more often accidental than not. I like going with the flow. That said, my 29k birthday run was totally planned hehe

I KNOW you will run again! In the meantime, I’m sure they are great for those loooooong walks inspired by being temporarily lost. ;)

I think the only time I’ve done an accidental longer run is when I’ve gotten lost! I say tennis shoes sometimes. I know I said it before I moved to the south. (Unless you count Maryland as the south.)

I’ve never tried Mizunos, but with the way people talk about them, maybe I should? I remember having a similar run last summer – just going out for the hell of it and expecting to put in about 3 miles, and ended up running five. I blame the fish tacos and the froyo from the night before ;-)

How do you manage to run five miles and still have epic/amazing looking hair?! I am so jealous. When I run five miles (or just walk my dog around the block), my hair is cray cray, haha.

I’m glad you enjoyed the new shoes! I’ve always wanted to try Mizuno’s!

LOL! I was a hot mess! It does crazy things in my sleep… the best is when you forget it looks insane and wonder why people are staring. ;)

OOh – so love new shoes! Yes, new shoes seem to GREATLY enhance my runs – I have yet to try a Mizuno – I’ve read loads of wonderful things but have just stuck with my Nike’s…maybe next time Im in the market for a shoe, I need to give these bad boys a try!
    I’ve always called them Tennis Shoes, and I always thought tennis shoes was a Sri Lankan thing…oh well…am a Sri Lankan in the South ;)

I wish I could get on theses campaigns & wear just for weights since I can only do my cardio in Hoka.. :) I call my shoes workout shoes & I used to call them sneakers.. for not working out but now I recycle old workout shoes for walking around in.. :)

“I ran out of time before I ran out of gas.” <– hehe!

I really do think my runs are as good as my mindset. Sometimes I know I can do more but don't because I talk myself out of it. However, if I go into my last mile with a positive attitude, I end up running a little extra. The mind body connection is strong one!

You are 100% on the mind-body – it’s true with lifting too. You have to approach weight with confidence or you’ll never lift it.

I’m with you! I get super motivated by new workout gear. It’s just so fun! I loved Wave Riders when I tried the. Unfortunately the older model was a bit too tight in the toe box for me though. Who knew someone could have such a narrow midsole but freaking wide ass forefoot?

11. Chatelaine says

Oh yeah I’ve gone on longer runs then planned. Went to visit my cousin near the Stanford University campus. I knew I shouldn’t go right ON to campus cause I’d get lost. My plan was to run the perimeter. I can’t say I ever got lost since I had my phone the whole time with maps, BUT I did run out of sidewalk several times, AND ran right into construction. I was hoping to do 5 miles, did 7 instead……..

Actually I was looking at those shoes for when my feet are all better (slowly but surely they are getting there. don’t ever get PF!). Been there, done that on the accidental long runs. I have to put an alarm on my phone to tell me to quit running after 1 mile or 15 minutes, whichever comes first. It’s actually a nice way to get myself to SLOW DOWN and enjoy that one mile for 10+ mins because it’s all I get to do right now.

That’s a good strategy! I have been reminding myself that there’s not need to run a sprint, and to enjoy the scenery.

13. elizabeth says

I just got the wave rider 17 in the mail today, I love that the toe isn’t as pointy as the 16. Our roads are covered in ice right now and I’m running off road through the snow, so I’ll have to wait before I try the shoes.

I LOVE unexpected longer runs! They are such a pleasant surprise and I almost get giddy when they happen. These runs usually occur when I need some me time and just clear my head. My legs and mind just want to GO and I embrace it. I have the same color of Wave Runners that I’m trying out too. :)

I just call them trainers, kicks or runners… mostly trainers, does that sound odd?! Love those long easy runs, the ones that are actually enjoyable! Ha! I just bought some adidas racing flats and I’m hoping they solve my shoe problem (My brooks are too supportive and give me shin pain and my frees aren’t supportive enough and give me achilles pain! :/ ) and hopefully make me a little faster!! ;) Enjoy getting back on the big weights!

I’ve heard trainers before… can’t remember where… it certainly makes more sense than tennis shoes. ;)

Do you say Adidas the “proper” way?

I’ve been running in Wave Riders starting with version 15 and I love them! I think the Wave Rider 17 is the best so far…so light, but still feels pretty supportive and really comfortable.

I usually call them running shoes, but when I’m speaking more generically about training shoes I tend to say tennis shoes too.