Raw Brussels Slaw with Apple and Butternut

Thanksgiving sides can get heavy and repetitive.

Stuffing, cranberry molds, green bean casseroles…

Truth be told, I don’t even like most of the traditional Thanksgiving food.  This year, I decided to get creative with the seasonal veggies and create a light and easy raw salad.

Raw Brussles Slaw with Apples

Coleslaw is thought of as a summertime picnic food.  I switched it up by using brussels sprouts rather than cabbage, and mixing it with a blend of sweet and tart apples and butternut squash.  Butternut squash is soft enough to be eaten raw, and it makes a great color addition!

The shallot and ginger add more dimension, and the light lemon-yogurt dressing doesn’t weigh this salad down.  Recipe at the bottom!

I STILL haven’t done a real grocery store run… it’s been hard to do with my workload, catching up on life outside of competition, and holiday events.  That hasn’t stopped me from doing lot of baking and having FUN with food.

WIAWbutton

Read on for my eats, and then check out Jenn’s blog for everyone else delicious creations!

Breakfast:

As always, the day began with my apple cider morning cocktail

Breakfast was a hot one on a cold morning.  It’s taken me thing long to want oatmeal again after all the competition prep, but this pumpkin creation hit the spot with its pie-like combo of pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, and Stevia.  Topped with bacon.  Because I can.

Pumpkin Oats and bacon

Mid-Morning Snack:

Soooo… this happened:

brownie

A leftover #strangebutgood brownie is legit lunchtime workout fuel.  As my trainer likes to say, “It’s ok. I’m bulking.”

What makes it strange?  That recipe is come next week. ;)

Lunch:

I’m steadily working my way through my stash from Sizzlefish.  Lunch was a new-to-me fish: Sable.  It was SO good!  Buttery and meaty, fully of good omega 3s!  I ate it with a side of my Raw Brussels Slaw and roasted buttercup squash.

Sablefish from Sizzlefish

Mid-Afternoon Snack:

I’m still loving my Think Thin stash.  They are really, really good frozen too.  Someone on Instagram told me to try that… I can’t remember who, but thank you!

Think Thin

Dinner:

Dinner was Swordfish with roasted broccoli slaw tossed in hot sauce.  I had a chocolate craving, so I turned my roasted buttercup squash into dessert, tossing it in a sauce of cocoa powder, cinnamon, Stevia, and almond milk.

Swordfish and squash

Dessert:

Pumpkin Pie midnight snack!  I mixed Greek yogurt and pumpkin purée with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and Growing Naturals vanilla rice protein powder.  Then topped with a cocoa powder and peanut flour sauce, part of a peanut butter Design Whey bar, and cacao nibs.  #faceplant

Pumpkin Pie Bowl

Raw Brussles Slaw

Raw Brussels Slaw with Apple & Butternut

• 1/2 C non-fat plain Greek yogurt
  • 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 T fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, cored
  • 2 Gala apples, cored
  • 1/2 Butternut squash (~1 C)
  • 1/2 pound brussels sprouts
  • 2 inch piece fresh ginger
  • 1 small shallot, diced

In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the olive oil and lemon juice and season with cumin and pepper.

Using the shredder attachment of your food processor,* shred the apples, squash, brussels, and ginger.  Transfer to a large bowl and toss with shallot.

Add the dressing and toss to coat.  Taste, adjust seasoning as needed, and serve.

The slaw can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.

Makes 10-12 servings.

*Note: If you don’t have a food processor, you could rough-chop the fruit and veggies, or pulse in a blender to shred.

I’m taking the rest of the week off for Thanksgiving.  I hope you are able to do the same… even if you’re not in the US. ;)  Wishing everyone a happy holiday – Thanksgiving and Hanukkah!

Have you ever had raw brussels sprouts?  How about butternut squash?

Are you making a special dish this year?  What is it?

Comments

No Thanksgiving and no holiday here :-( I will feel so lonely blogging!
    You made my favorite combo – squash and chocolate sauce!! I do exactly the same and I LOVE it.
    I also love the Growing Naturals Protein, thank you so much for the recommendation!!

I’ve never had raw brussel sprouts, I prefer them cooked. They are already hard to digest, and I assume that eating them raw would be even harder on my digestive system.
    Happy holidays! For us Europeans it’s just a normal week, though.

It weird – they bloat me a lot when I cook them but I didn’t notice that eating them raw! One would think the opposite would be true.

yum!! i’ve bought the shredded raw brussels before (i think tj’s sells them?) and have made a salad with them… i love your apple addition though – perfect sweet crunch pairing!

Oh wow, I never even knew you could eat butternut raw! This slaw looks amazing, girlie! Love all the colors and flavors going on in hurrr! ;) I have to say, you eat pretty well for someone who can’t get to the grocery store…free fish to the rescue! And umm, “Topped with bacon. Because I can.” <- HELL YES!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with your family! Love you!

For serious?! It’s one of my favorite items on the WF salad bar! They do just shredded butternut with some sort of light sweet-ish sauce and cranberries. They really should add bacon…

• says

Ok, now I’ll have to scope out the salad bar next time I’m there! Oh and you should know that I went out and bought all the ingredients for this last weekend…but all the damn stores were out of Brussels sprouts! So…as soon as I can get my hands on those little baby cabbages, this is MINE!

If you had asked me 5 years ago if I liked brussels sprouts, the answer would have been a resounded GROSS! Haha. But now, it’s one of my favorite veggies, although I have never tried it raw. I love them roasted with a drizzle of olive oil, maple syrup, and S&P. YUM!

I love that you are able to eat again & thus be happier! :) Love that raw salad – sounds amazing! You have such interesting twists on everything!

I keep making your coffee pancakes but changing like with almond/coconut milk instead of coffee or both like last night & amazing! I used my mixmyown mix last night instead of oatmeal – they were really good! I like them cold too!

Taking the rest of the week off too! You need it!!!

Happy Happy one to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO thankful I met you via this online community!!!

Linz just commented that you can buy pre-shredded brussels… that should make it SUPER easy! ;)

I am so thankful to have met you too, Jody!

Looks like my comment got munched. If it duplicates, I apologize. I agree on the “traditional” TDay foods. I do have at least one household that does a different tradition – manicotti. Being Italian rocks ;-) But all that other stuff – the gravy, dressing, potatoes, casseroles … I can totally do without. There are SO many awesome recipes out there to try. So why stick to blah when you can have wow?

8. elizabeth says

I tried a pb choc think thin and really liked it, I didn’t like the choc espresso as much, I would buy the pb again.

Friendsgiving was the best. I missed you guys this year!

You should try them raw! It’s a totally different flavor.

9. elizabeth says

I had a chance to try your “morning cocktail” with Fitmixer. I couldn’t believe how sweet it was, even with the vinegar! Do you really only add 12oz water to one scoop? I’ll have to try at least twice the water and maybe more vinegar also. I used to make a drink with sour cherry juice concentrate and vinegar that was good and refreshing.

Alright I love the sound of this salad and not just because I’m not a huge fan of Thanksgiving. There I said it. I don’t like Thanksgiving food. The jello molds and the green bean casseroles give me the creeps. I skip the turkey, the gravy and the stuffing for the obvious vegetarian reasons so yeah I’m left with…..

I ate salad, four pounds of french peasant bread shaped like a turkey (fine I only ate two slices of the bread), some savory roasted garlic and thyme sweet potatoes (brought by me) and a scoop of mashed potatoes. Quite frankly, I’m craving a green veggie and fruit as a result. Your raw brussel sprout salad sounds just about perfect right now.

I’m seeing a lot of raw/shaved Brussels sprouts salad recipes this year, I’m going to have to give it a try! I assume the sable fish is the same as the black cod that we get here: very rich, you don’t need much, and what we get here is from the Alaska fishery which is very sustainable.