Pumpkin Almond Protein Batter

The closer I get to my competition, the more fun I have.

Ask me again in 2 weeks and I may tell you different.

Right now life revolves around the gym, food, and work.  I love all three of these, so why wouldn’t I be ecstatic?  Here’s how my typical Saturday goes down:

1. Wake Up, Eat, Get Dressed

I started my day with a delicious combo of oats, TVP, egg whites, cinnamon, ginger… and cheesecake.

The cheesecake part was thank to a Loranne Cheesecake Flavoring.  I topped with frozen cherries and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.

Cheesecake TVP Oatmeal

2. Go to Competition Suit Fitting

No pic till competition day… but I LOVE it!

My suit

3. Posing practice and Back/Tri Workout

I did this at my trainer’s gym, which I love because it’s an actually a training gym vs. a fitness club.  The icing on the cake was that I was the only one there for the last half of the workout, which was amazing.

Clearly this called for a photoshoot.

4. Meet with 1st Personal Training Client

I am SO excited to be working with a former roller derby teammate.  She is going to kick ass int he gym too!

5. Grocery Shop

I hit out massive Buford Highway Farmer’s Market and bought a TON of food for less than $70.  Including this new to me fish – Sheepshead:

sheepshead fish

6. Cook Dinner

I couldn’t wait to try my Sheepshead, so that’s what I had.  It’s delicious – a mild, meaty white fish that’s low in fat and high in protein.

Seafood is one thing I prefer to prepare simply.  I baked this fish with lime and a dusting of Indian spices.  Eaten with bok choy sautéed with garlic, green onion, and coconut oil, and roasted portobello with a runny egg, and a slice of Ezekial.

7. Clean Out/Organize Work Emails

This was a productive activity while watching FSU beat the yu-know-what out of Clemson.  Goooo ‘Noles!!!

8. Eat dessert

The following is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Designer Whey and Smari.  As always, all opinions are my own.

Dessert is my favorite par of the day.  Even better was the fact that I got to try 2 new things: Designer Whey Vanilla Almond Protein Powder and Smari Icelandic yogurt.  I normally make my protein bowls with Greek yogurt, but I am loving this Icelandic too!  It’s very similar to Greek in that its super thick, high in protein (higher than Greek, actually!), and the plain is low in sugar.

I decided to create a pumpkin protein bowl using the ingredients.   What resulted was a Pumpkin Almond Protein Batter that made me a little sad when I was over.  It tasted like cake batter.

Overall, it was a marvelous weekend!

Pumpkin Almond Protein Batter

Pumpkin Almond Protein Batter

• 1/2 C pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 C Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 scoop Designer Whey Vanilla Almond Protein Powder(
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • Pinch of cloves
  • 5-6 drops stevia
  • 1 T unsweetened almond milk (or other liquid)
  • Optional toppings: cocoa powder sauce (cocoa powder + liquid + stevia), cherries, cacao nibs, popcorn

Combine everything in a small bowl and mix until smooth.  You may need to add more liquid to achieve desired consistency.

Top with your favorites and enjoy!

*You can sub any vanilla protein and add 1/4 tsp almond extract

Did you notice anything in that pic of me?  I went dark for the winter… every time I look in the mirror I double take at the dark haired girl.

Have you ever tried Icelandic yogurt?

What does a typical Saturday look like for you?

Comments

Can’t wait to see you in the SPARKLY BLUE THING… Because I gotta see someone in it, I sure as hell wouldn’t be CAUGHT DEAD IN IT… My future husband will NOT EVEN have the luxury of seeing me in it, LMFAO!!!!!

AND WTF I am so envious of this fish market of yours. YOU KNOW I am obsessed with seafood………… And I have NEVER TRIED sheepshead. I like really really really fatty fish though……….. Maybe I wouldn’t like it as say.. Chilean Sea bass?

PS: I don’t always go to the window, but when I do, I go to the wall as well. LOL .

LOVE the new twist on the protein batter- will definitely be giving it a go as its easier to dump pumpkin out of a can than grating carrot or zucchini each time ;)

My saturdays at the mo are boring with the gym being my highlight but once exams are done and dusted, some epic brunching wil be happening!

PS rocking hair!

How are you grating? I just use a hand grater and can get a carrot shredded in less than a minute. Plus, it’s a decent finisher move after bicep day. ;)

Sounds like a productive Saturday! Normally I get up to do a workout, but this weekend I slept in and took a rest day. Bliss.
    You look great girl, I love the new color! And that Cake Batter? Want! I need to make it. Happy Monday!

My Saturdays are usually work, work, work and then I try to convince myself to leave the house and be a normal person on a Saturday night! Love the new hair and can’t wait to see you in the bikini (how creepy does that sound?!) :)

Love that you topped your bowl with popcorn- can’t beat the sweet and savory combo! Although not as healthy as raw almonds, honey roasted almonds are awesome in yogurt bowls! Although procrastination tends to show up in full force on Saturdays, I try to get some work done so that my Sunday is completely free!

6. Mimi says

I like Icelandic Yogurt but not smari. Didn’t like it at all. LOVE Siggis.
    Love your posts and ideas! You look great and are having fun!

Dumb figure training question: what’s the purpose of the belt around your waist in the gym pic? I’ve seen that before but never knew what it was all about.

• says

Got it! Does it have a big pad on the back or something, or does it look like a regular belt all around? I fractured a vertebra in a car accident in high school and had to wear something that was kind of like a metal cross in the front with a big lower back support pad in the back.

Some have a little padding in the back, but many are just leather. Definitely not as hard core as a back brace! That’s a terrible injury – I’m glad you were ok!

I am exhausted after reading this!!! ;) I should say that I used to do that much when I was younger – no more! :)

I think that recipe looks delish! Never even saw that yogurt as part of an FF campaign – never heard of it either!

Your dessert is pretty much my breakfast every morning … minus the protein powder and plus chia seeds! Loving the hair and the fact that you had your first training client!! I’ve only had Siggi’s Icelandic yogurt (I’m so sure that’s what they want me to say on a sponsored post – sorry!), but I like it! And thanks for sharing about Sheepshead … will be on the lookout.

Yay for your first PT client! Look at you!

A typical Saturday for me involves waking up early but staying in bed and chatting with Vishnu for 30 minutes, going for a run, cleaning, watching college football, dinner with friends. I LOVE Saturdays!

Sounds like a great Saturday to me! Typically, I sleep in until 7 (yeah, that’s late for me) on Saturdays, have coffee, watch an hour of mindless home improvement or cooking shows. Then run and goof off the rest of the day. Saturdays are complete do what we want days.

Congrats on the client! That is awesome!!!

YAY for your first client – she will do well under your direction!

I love your new hair color, looks great on you! right now my hair is SO SUPER LONG, and I was considering a cut the other day… I have had it as short as yours many times, such a fun and easy style…

happy week my dear!

13. Anonymous says

Never had Icelandic yogurt but it sounds good…especially in the way you made it. PS – Your poses look so on point and natural.

Oh yum, everything you have been eating sounds good! Especially that dessert bowl. Vanilla flavoring is good but I always love to add almond and of course you know it’s going to be tasty if pumpkin is involved. I’m so excited for you tht your competition is getting closer, your going to rock that cute little blue suit!

Only two weeks away…wow, I can’t believe it’s almost here. I expect to see lots of asparagus. :) I had some in a wrap today and thought of you.

My typical Saturday involves lots of cooking, grocery shopping, errand running, afternoon delight, blog stuff, cleaning and/or yard work and a nice evening with the Hubby. Whatever doesn’t get done on Saturday, I roll over into Sunday.

NOM NOM that looks fabulous! I cannot believe how cheap your seafood is…no wonder why you stock up on it and eat it all the time. I would too. Love the new hair color…makes your eyes POP! Glad you are happy and training is going so well. :)

17. Nancy says

I love the Buford Highway Farmers Market I really think you can get anything there. When you buy fish do you have them cut them up or do you do it… I found when your paying by the pound and they filet them you loose half the fish. What do you do?

Omg, that’s got to be the best use of the most interesting man in the world meme! Love it! And hell yeah to having the gym all to yourself…love that!

I swear you find the most obscure seafood! I’ve never in my life heard of sheepshead…why in the world would they name it that?! Such a bad mental picture! But I do love the Indian spices! Meghan hooked me up with some bebere spice (I think that’s how you spell it) for a curry dish I want to try, but I might have to slap some of it on some salmon I have lurking in the back of my freezer sometime soon…and definitely with some bok choy on the side! That was one of the things I nabbed up for super cheap at the international market a couple of weekends ago…luckily it’s still holding on! Haha!

You know, Danielle messaged me specifically about doing a review on the new DW and Smari, but I haven’t heard anything back from her. I hadn’t heard of the Smari brand until I got the email, but now I’m even more curious since I know it’s got 20g of protein per cup…that’s awesome! And well, almond flavored anything is the key to MY heart…ok, really it’s peanut butter, but just go with this! ;)

I like the layout/theme of this post, but is it weird that it’s kinda making my eye twitch that you didn’t go for 10? Lol

Sounds like quite the day! Looking fabulous, can’t wait to see the suite on! We of course weren’t as happy about the Clemson FSU game. Luckily it was the night before my race, so I was fine turing it off and going to be early.

What a fun suit! Food looks delish (that seafood and your ever-interesting evening eats! I need to make more of them!) and it’s so neat you’re getting close to the event…Can’t wait to live it through you!

I love reading about how people spend their day and stuff!! I think it’s so awesome that you love working, working out and cooking/eating. I think a lot of people actually aren’t happy with their lives, but I can tell that you really, really are.

Love your posing skills, too! I can’t wait for your comp.!!

22. Devon says

Hi Laura!!! Love reading your blog daily! So inspirational and I give you tons of credit for balancing your life so well :) Also you deserve a ton of credit (and snaps!) for rocking those fitness competition bikinis!
    I love that tank that you’re wearing in your gym selfie, it’s one of my favorite quotes, where did you get it from?
    Thanks!!!!