I wasn’t going to blog today.
Labor Day is about NOT laboring, right?
Then I realized that work isn’t always a thing to be avoided. I have a lot to share, and blogging isn’t “work.” It’s the perfect day for a short and sweet
over-share blog post. This weekend has been all about fun work!
My mom asked me to watch her dog, Honey, for the weekend. I am not home enough to have a dog, but a part-time dog is awesome! Honey and I walked until I was practically dragging her. Those short legs get tired. She is a Golden Retriever and Corgi mix.
Did you see her video debut on Instagram?
Waking up at the ass-crack of down to play make-up artist for a friend’s first Bikini competition. Chelsea has an amazing transformation story – check out her before pic! She trains at my gym, and I’m so happy to have met her.
Chelsea’s dedication and unwillingness to settle of anything less than her dream is inspiring. Visit her blog to read about her journey.
Side note: having to let the dog out at 5:30am felt like actual work.
I workout like it’s my job when I have the time. After Chelsea’s pre-judging I came back home to hit the gym. I slacked on my laundry job and didn’t have a clean tank top to wear… so I cut up an old Georgia Tech tee to represent at the gym (we won the season opener 70-0!).
After killing my back and tris, I ate that green smoothie like it was my job. Then I took a nap.
The next day’s workout was eventful. I went for a bike ride. I am not a cyclist, and I am especially not a smart cyclist. As soon as I got the bike outside I heard a rumble in the sky. A smart person would have waited or stayed close to home. Hahahaha!
I headed down the Beltline, pausing to enjoy the art. The sky darkened, but still I thought maybe I’d ride around it. Notsomuch. I was 5 miles from home when the bottom dropped out. After hanging out under a bridge for a while, I got impatient and biked home through the rain. I arrived at my building looking like a drowned rat (see pic).
Being a chef for myself is my favorite job. Some people dread being in the kitchen, but I find it relaxing. It’s art, not labor! I cooked ALL weekend long and couldn’t have been happier.
Clockwise from the top left:
- Dessert porn. Cocoa-roasted kabocha topped with a mix of Greek yogurt, coconut flour, cinnamon, and stevia. Drizzled with cocoa powder sauce (cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, and stevia), then sprinkled with cinnamon toasted quinoa and a crushed Adora calcium disk
- Cinnamon Roll Coconut Mugcake cut up over a sweet potato with peanut butter and a sprinkle of cocoa powder. The cake was based on Morganne’s mug cupcake recipe, but i amped up the protein. Here’s what I did: 1.5 T coconut flour, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 3 T applesauce, 1/4 C egg whites, 1/2 tsp butter extract, 4 drops English toffee stevia. Microwaved for 1 min in a cereal bowl
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Brussels may be my new go-to. I roasted them to a crisp in coconut oil, Meyer lemon, cumin, and pepper
- Overnight TVP Oats were a must since I was up early for the bikini comp. This was a TVP creation – 1/4 C TVP, 1/4 C oats, Greek yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, stevia, and unsweetened almond milk. With extra blueberries
- What’s a weekend without #yolkporn? In addition to the egg, this tortilla pizza had salsa, spinach, tofu, jalapeno, purple peppers.
I’m spending the day pretending like tomorrow isn’t the return of “real” labor.
What jobs did you have this weekend?
What do you enjoy that most people view as work?