Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad

Quinoa is one of the easiest things I never make.

Maybe it’s not strange enough?

After complaining about the lack of fresh tabbouleh available in restaurants, it was brought to my attention that I could just make my own.  Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Traditional tabbouleh uses bulgur, but I’m not traditional.  I use quinoa for the added protein.  And because that’s what was in my pantry. ;)

I really loved the bright lemon in this.  It compliments the parsley perfectly and helps make this salad last several days in the fridge.  It also nicely complimented the sea bass I ate it with.

Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad

One of the reasons I had not made tabbouleh before was the overwhelming thought of mincing that much parsley.  Then I remembered my kitchen shears.

Best short cut ever.  In fact, I even cut the onion with them!

parsley

This dish is a fantastic way to get more parsley in your diet.  Why should you eat more?  I’ll tell you…

Parsley Benefits:

• Rich in many Vitamin C,  B 12, K and A (good for immune system, bones, and nervous system)
  • Acts as a diuretic, helping flush out excess fluid
  • Can help control your blood pressure due to the folic acid content
  • Rich in luteolin, which eradicates free radicals, promotes carbohydrate metabolism,  and is an anti-inflammatory
  • May impede growth of cancerous tumors.

Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad

Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad

• 1 C cooked quinoa
  • 1 large bunch fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 small cucumber, diced
  • 1/4 C red onion, diced
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp ground garlic

In a large bowl, toss together parsley, chopped tomato, cucumber, onion, lemon juice, and seasonings.

Add chilled quinoa to bowl and mix together.  Adjust seasoning to taste.

Makes 4 servings.

It’s also a great way to use those massive bunches they sell.  Who can eat all that so fast?!

Do you eat much parsley?  Tabbouleh?

What’s your favorite herb?  Keep it legal (in most states ;) )…

Comments

Using quinoa for tabbouleh is a brilliant idea! I love it but never make it, because you know, bulgur?

I’ve heard another benefit for parsley, but I’m not quite sure how to say this in a classy way. It is supposed to make you, um, taste good. You know. Both men and women. Not to mention it freshens your breath and puts pretty greens sparkles between your teeth!

I love this salad its my all time favorite and I loved that you used quinoa! Great idea!! I am in love with mint right now its complementing all of my green juices quite well! Thanks for sharing, hope you have a great week! Love + Shine Courtstar

i eat parsley every day, because…..I eat onion and garlic everyday. if you mix it with parsley, you eliminate the stinking part :-) True!
    I LOVE tabouleh and I love the idea to prepare it with quinoa! I love the tricolor quinoa and if I don’t use it in salad, I eat it sweet with shredded apple, cinnamon, stevia and cacao powder. Of course.

Our neighbours growing up were Lebanese and they would bring vats of tabbouleh over so it was bountiful. However, the reason I detested it was good old parsley! I just find the taste off-putting! Although that recipe sounds good, I’ll just have to omit ;)

I love tabbouleh! And I love basil. I by a bunch at the farmers market. Then I put it in a vase with water. It makes my kitchen smell amazing. It also sprouts roots and lasts forever that way.

Growing up, my mom used to make tabbouleh from a box like every night (the near east brand) and I always thought it tasted like sand. It wasn’t until many years later when I tasted real tabbouleh and realized that it was good!

I really love quinoa! I always have it in my pantry. I end up making a large batch of it at the beginning of the week and then during the week using it for lunches and dinners, and even breakfast sometimes. It is SO easy to make and goes with so many different things.

We love parsley in my house. My bunny and I eat it often. He thinks it is the best thing ever, whenever he eats it it looks like he is eating spaghetti, because I give him the stems too. Who would have thought that parsley would be such a treat for a rabbit!

Thanks so much for this post Laura!
    You know, I have a garden full of parsley, and I never know what to do with it other than garnish things!
    And I ADORE quinoa so win-win!

9. Autumn says

Hey, Laura! I sent you an email a couple days ago asking a few questions, just fyi! Wondered if you might be able to find the time to reply back? Thanks a ton!
    Autumn

Mmmm, I love tabbouleh! I had never thought to make it with quinoa, though! SO smart! I’m just like you… I love quinoa, but I never make it for some reason?!

I love that you spend your weekends doing massive amounts of food prep, but mincing parsley seems like too much effort.

You better be making the most of your week off, m’dear. I want to hear tales of relaxation and SHENANIGANS. xo

I love tabbouleh and I have made it before. Never thought of making it with quinoa but that’s a great idea. I just realized I have bulgur in the cupboard AND Ralph mentioned we haven’t had it in awhile. Maybe I’ll make it both ways and see which he likes better. Thanks, Laura!

Dammit I just froze a bunch of parsley. I should have made Tabbouleh. Eh, who am I kidding. I was too tired, and I knew the parsley wouldn’t last long enough so I froze it instead. Maybe I’ll make Tabbouleh in the winter time and be like, “what’s up now!”
    I have to check out the kitchen shears. I have a pair of herb scissors and they work like a dream. If you don’t have a pair, I’d recommend them considering the amount of fresh herbs you use.

Oh yum! I love Tabbouleh (btw that word sucks to spell, my poor dyslexic brain hates it) however I have never had it with quinoa! I really need to eat parsley more, I use is as a garnish but it rarely makes it the main bit!

xx Kait

Made this tonight. Was YUM. I did add a teeny bit of extra virgin olive oil. I know. I hate when I read people modifying recipes. Will definitely make it again :)

I’ve been wanting to make tabbouleh for MONTHS! Ever since I bought that ginormous bunch of parsley when I made my blueberry coleslaw! I was actually surprised by how long that shit survived in the crisper drawer, but sadly, it did not make it through last weekend. Looks like I’ll have to go buy some more! That will give me a good reason to bust into some of my grain stash since I announced my mission on the blog the other day to clear some of it out before the end of the year…it’s kinda sad how long I’ve had some of that stuff!

Favorite herb = BASILLLLLLLLLLL!

I’ve been trying to clear out too. I’m down to my last jar of PB, but my flour collection is still out of control. *sigh*

1. […] see a few of my veggies in the pic too.  I made more of my Tabbouleh Salad and cut up […]

2. […] this week’s meal prep, I had all the ingredients to make my Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad again.  Except the quinoa.  I swear, between the plumbing, burning food, and general […]

3. […] started in my head as quinoa tabbouleh inspired by Laura’s version back in August quickly transformed into a quinoa salad after MORE inspiration hit me from all the […]