Strange But Good: Orange Cardamom TVP Overnight Oats

The strange breakfasts have continued.

This week was necessity.

Without air conditioning, I became and overnight oat junkie.  Hot food made me nauseous.  “Regular” overnight oats seem too boring… and I was getting sick of oatmeal… so I brought back an old favorite.  TVP!

I also got to try a strange new nut milk (no, I couldn’t type that with a straight face): Almond-Cashew-Hazelnut Milk.

almond cashew hazelnut milk

It received mixed reviews when I posted the pic on Instagram, but I really liked it!  Almond milk is still my favorite, but this milk from Dream Blends is a good way to change it up.  I’ve tried coconut, hemp, rice, soy, and sunflower milks, not of which I like as well.

Back to the “oats.”

This concoction was a TVP overnight bowl.  Cardamom and orange is one of the best flavor combos… in fact, I remembered after I made this dish that I’d actually done a similar hot version here.

Be careful with the cardamom - a little goes a long way – but a pinch adds an sweet-ish spiciness to dishes.  Perfect with the citrus and the meaty, rich coconut. #thatswhatshesaid

orange cardamom overnight oats

I also used some cacao nibs to top it… because what’s not better with chocolate?!

Orange Cardamom TVP Overnight Oats

Orange Cardamom TVP Overnight Oats

• 1/4 C TVP
  • 1/2 scoop (1T) vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp cardamom
  • 1/2-3/4 C milk or water
  • 1/2 orange, sectioned
  • 1/2 tsp coconut extract
  • Stevia, to taste
  • Optional toppings: coconut shreds, cacao nibs, more orange

In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients, stirring to combine.  Fold in orange sections.

Cover and place in fridge overnight.  Remove from fridge in the morning, stir, and add additional liquid if needed.

Top as desired and enjoy!

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week?

The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends!

Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

A/C Update: it's FIXEDDDDDDD!!! Thank the sweet baby Jesus.  Best birthday present ever.

Have you tried TVP oats yet?

What is your favorite way to make oatmeal?

Comments

Another creative and awesome recipe!
    I’m always so impressed by your recipes each week.
    And this one sounds awesome since it has orange, my new favorite flavor and coconut which actually is probably my actual favorite flavor – I take the orange one back.

Lisa, you are too kind. :) I’m just getting in to coconut… I think for years I just wasn’t eating the good fresh stuff.

Cinnamon is great, but cardamom does add a whole new dimension! It’s pretty easy to locate – all my major grocers carry it.

This sounds really good. I always like cardamom…I love the fragrance. I don’t think I even have any in the cupboard. Actually, my spices need to get on the list of things I clean out. I have some in there in wonderful old containers given to me as a wedding present when I was married the First time. Think I need to “refresh” them! Have a great day, Laura!

Isn’t it every 3 months you are supposed to refresh your spices? I don’t know how people can go through them that fast though!

3. sara @ Fitcupcaker says

I love overnight oats, so filling and delicious but ive never even come close to this combo, love it!

I never think to add citrus to my breakfasts- now I’m wondering why!! I love oats with yogurt, peanut butter, and applesauce…so simple yet tasty!

OMG! I’m cardamom OBSESSED! I will easily chunk out $10 for a jar on iHerb and make it last a couple months. I think it is my favorite spice besides cinnamon! I don’t eat oats, but love using it in grain-free porridge made with coconut flour!:) LOVE this recipe!!

I have yet to try overnight oats even with no AC in my place! I keep seeing recipes everywhere! I am uncertain of eating oatmeal type stuff cold but everyone seems to like it! :)

That’s my favorite hot oat combo. Have you ever done overnight and just warmed them in the microwave?

You KNOW I love cardamom, and I have been experimenting more with overnight oats, but not yet with TVP in them. I wonder how insane it would be to do a psyllium, TVP, oats combo? I will try it when I get my wisdom teeth out this week. Maybe. Or maybe I’ll just do a whole Strange But Good: Wisdom Teeth Removal Edition for you.

I have a box of that alterna-milk in my car right now. Packed in a box. Probably turning bad because it’s hot outside. Oh well.

That would be a volume eater’s bowl of heaven. I must try it too!!!!

Poor teeth… I wish I could come make you protein shakes!

Meaty coconut, huh? So THAT’S what the girl(s) is/are calling it these days! haha! Ya know, I bet this would be even better with orange-flavored stevia!

Because of my never-ending curiosity, I’ve tried a lot of milk alternatives, but I’ve never really liked anything other than almond milk. Am I weird for not liking the mouthfeel of coconut milk? I feel like I lose some kind of blogger badge by admitting that! And rice milk? Ugh, don’t even get me started on that grossness!

1. […] meals that can be assembled on-site. One example is overnight TVP oats – I packed the pre-measured ingredients in individual serving baggies & a shelf-stable carton […]

2. […] meals that can be assembled on-site. One example is overnight TVP oats – I packed the pre-measured ingredients in individual serving baggies & a shelf-stable carton […]