Sweet Corn (Protein) Shake

Since discovering my love of corn, there is only one thing to do.

Besides simply “eat it.”

Turn it into a smoothie.  Duh.  You have to trust me on this one.  Corn seems strange, I know.  but it’s good.  I mean… have I lead you astray before?!  Don’t answer that.

Sweet Corn Protein Shake 1

Raw corn is super sweet.  Actually most raw veggies are sweeter to me raw than cooked.  This makes them perfect candidates for smoothies – Carrot Cake and Zucchini Bread smoothies happen weekly in my house – and you KNOW I add spinach to everything.

The avocado adds creaminess to the smoothie.  You could also use banana (I was out).  I never finish a whole avocado before it goes bad, so I eather bake with it or cut the leftovers into slices and store it inthe freezer for smoothies.

Sweet Corn Protein Shake 2

Lemon may seen weird, but that zestiness can actually bring out sweet flavors.  I added just a twist here!

Ginger also gives this drink it a teeny zing… you could leave it out, but remember it (and lemon) is a great detoxifier!!!

Sweet Corn Protein Shake

Sweet Corn (Protein) Shake

• 1/4 C raw corn
  • 2 T avocado
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 6-7 drops vanilla liquid stevia (or sweetneer of choice)
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (or other liquid)
  • Ice, to taste
  • Optional: squeeze of lemon, xanthan and/or guar gum (to thicken)

Put everything in the blender and mix until smooth.

Slurp away!

How have you enjoyed making co-workers, friends, or family stare with strange but good creations this week?

The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above. In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends!

Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

#StrangeButGood turens 30 this week!!!  And I turn 30 in 2 weeks.  Scary.

"Age is just a number. It’s totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine." ~Joan Collins

Do you drink more smoothies in the summer?  I can't get enough!

What are your favorite veggies to eat raw?  Do you ever use them to make them sweet treats?

Comments

Okay, this is a totally strange but good! I can actually imagine the corn in the shake going well with everything! You never know unless you try it out, right.

I can totally see that corn is great in a smoothie. And I totally agree that raw veggies are sweeter than the cooked ones! Especially Bell Peppers and Carrots.
    I throw everything into my Smoothie Mixes. Sometimes it turns our #strangeandgross, but most of the time it’s #strangebutgood and I just love to sneak in my veggies in everything I eat.

Funny you say peppers… I was thinkiing I could try that next. :) Hopefullyit won’t be #strangeandgross (but it DOES happen).

Oh, Yum!! Just a tip I recently heard…I know you weren’t zesting the lemon, but apparently if you freeze the lemon first, it makes the zesting easier and you can use it longer. We heard it at a WW meeting. My friend Alice tried it and she said it works really well! This sounds so good!! Have a great day, Laura!

I’ve read about a Thai pudding-like dessert with sweet corn, but haven’t tried it yet. Heck, why not? Thinking about it, I haven’t had raw corn in ages. It has a very short season here. Just like asparagus, and rhubarb, and strawberries, and everything.
    I’ve been on a smoothie kick, too. And smoothie popsicles! My favorite ice cream alternative these days.
    My raw veggie favorites are mini cucumbers and tomatoes. They are so amazing when they’re in season.

I CANNOT GET ENOUGH SMOOTHIES EITHER :D NOR CAN I GET ENOUGH CORN!!!!!! :D Girrrrrrl I am all over this recipe!!!!!!!!! SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Corn is the sweetest thing out there and I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY THIS! :D Thanks Laura for your great ideas ;)

6. Kat says

That kinda reminds me of like a “corn pudding” type shake. YUM. Make me one with your almighty vitamix! ;)

Corn in your smoothies?! I love your combos but I don’t know if I’m brave enough to try this! I do love using avocado in my smoothies, adds that extra creaminess. I got that tip from you!

I LOVE this!! You’re right, raw corn is so delightfully sweet…I actually haven’t cooked any of the ones I’ve brought home from the farmers market this season. You know, the only thing that makes veggies sweeter to me is when they are grilled/roasted and THEN chilled…and grilled corn is one of my favorite things ever! Mmm, I think I may have to try that with this smoothie! :D

You are the master of #strangebut good!!!! Very creative!!!! I need to freeze the avocados! I keep reading that but I have a very old fridge & the freezer is well, not so good nor the fridge! ;)
    Does pretty pretty interesting though. Now to win a Vitamix! ;)

I think an aging freezer would work for avocados. I’d really just worrk about meats. But I do eat some sketchy stuff. ;)

Actually, corn ice cream is super common in different parts of Asia, so if you just haul ass and move across the world, you’ll be totally normal! ;)

1. [...] veggies, without the old school hip hop. I’m also linking up with Laura’s Strange But Good because I grilled lettuce and then ate it. That’s pretty fucking strange in my book. Sorry, [...]