Mango Protein Lassi

Indian food is my jam.

As evidenced by the fact I’m apparently unable to post about anything else lately.

Someone mentioned a mango lassi the other day and it has popped up everywhere since then.  Long ago I made a Savory Protein Lassi, but this time I (for once) decided to go the traditional route and make a mango version.

At least the idea of it was traditional… I have serious doubts that you’d find a “real” lassi with spinach and protein powder.

Mango Protein Lassi

Who needs real when you can have a protein version?  This shake was a refreshing post-workout refuel treat.  With spring temperatures here, I’m loving the return of smoothies.  And smoothie bowls.

I add a little more ice to keep it thick.  There’s just something about eating them with a spoon that makes a protein smoothie that much more satisfying.

coriander

The coconut extract and coriander enhance the sweet mango.  Greek yogurt adds a creaminess, but if you don’t do dairy you can leave it out or use tofu or avocado to add to the cream-factor.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with coriander, it’s a subtle flavor that is warm and a bit nutty with a slight hint of citrus.  Coriander brightens and deepens flavors, but in a gentle way where most people wouldn’t be able to pick it out.  It rarely overpowers or detracts from other ingredients.  Rather, it only adds.  It’s good in sweet and savory dishes (I also used it in my Cauliflower & Eggplant Curry).

Mango Protein Lassi

Mango Protein Lassi

• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 champagne mango (~1/2 C)
  • 1/2 in piece fresh ginger
  • 1/2 C Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 C spinach (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp coconut extract
  • 1/8 tsp ground coriander
  • Stevia or other sweetener, to taste
  • Optional: 1/8 tsp of each Xanthan and Guar Gums (to thicken)
  • Ice + water, to taste

Place everything in a high-speed blender (I used my Vitamix) and blend until smooth(ie).

Enjoy by the spoonful.

I’m stopping with the Indian for a bit (I think).  My sister is coming back to the States and Cinco de Drinko Mayo is coming.  I’m feeling like a fiesta!!!

Have you ever used coriander before?  It’s great in baked goods too!

Is it warm yet where you are?  It’s warmer in ATL… but raining.  Obv.

Comments

Ohh, this sounds great! I haven’t had a mango in probably 2 years for some reason even though I love them and I’m imagining the coconut with the mango tastes amazing! Obviously I’d be game for anything with coconut extract in it;)

I love mango lassi! Mine also needs to be thick, I always eat my smoothies with a spoon. Instead of Greek I use soy yogurt.
    German weather is unpredictable, that’s typical for April. At least it’s not freezing anymore.

Smoothies in a bowl!!! YES!! I can not even THINK of drinking a smoothie. The spoon-to-mouth-move just makes it more satisfying (is this weird? No, right?)
    And I love koriander, but I never used it in a sweet dish, totally gonna try that!!
    A very good friend of mine (Indian) is the owner of the best Indian Restaurant here in town. Guess how much I am there :-) if you ever think of traveling to Switzerland, let me know, I need to take you there.

4. ta says

this looks great, and i have all the ingredients at home!
    i would just like to ask, approximately how much ice and water do you use? i’m worried i’ll use too much.

I don’t really measure… just add a little bit at a time. You can always add more, but you can’t take it back. :)

Facts:
    1. Saying something is “your jam” makes me smile like ridiculously big. I love that haha.
    2. Mango Lassis FTW
    3. Healthy mango lassis FTW.

This sounds AWESOME! I was able to alter my sister’s mango lassi recipe and made it a lot healthier, but I always wanted to make it proteinalicious without being too yogurt-y. I love this!! Thanks for sharing :)

I love coriander. It’s just one of those subtly but warm spices. I love all of those warming spices you find in Indian food too. Our weather has been all over the place. Last week it was 70 at 6am and almost 90 during day. Now it’s 40 in the AM and barely touching 70. Good times.

This weather! It’s still not that warm. Ugh.

I’ve never had a real mango lassi, so this would probably taste real to me! Looks good.

You know, I never thought abut putting it in a dish & eating with a spoon! I am over drinking smoothies/protein drinks – too many years of it BUT to make it think enough to put in a bowl & eat that way – LOVE! :)

Am I allowed to be bummed that the Indian-fest is over? Yet equally excited about an influx of Mexican? Hmm, interesting about coriander! I have a jar of it in my spice cabinet and I’ve never really known what to do with it unless making all-out Indian curries. Time to experiment.

I put a dash of coriander in almost everything. LOVE it. Much like I love this recipe.
    I’m impressed by the complexity of it, since I usually make a mango lassi with just frozen mango and tofu (although nowadays I might go ‘traditional’ and actually use tummy-tolerable yogurt).

And maybe if I always made smoothies thick enough to eat with a spoon, I’d appreciate them more…

I was absolutely delighted with my recent mango lassi. This is a wonderful recipe — it would work nicely with coconut cream in place of the Greek yogurt for a vegan spin! Yum :)

“There’s just something about eating them with a spoon that makes a protein smoothie that much more satisfying.” <- AMEN!! I've never had a mango lassi before…and I've obviously not experimented enough with coriander to know how great it is! I love how knowledgable you are about spices…I swear I need to take notes! Oh, and think of some more ways to use my fenugreek! ;)

Can you believe it got up to 83 today?!!?!?! Ahhhh! I wish it could be like this always, but I know heat and humidity are on their way! Boo!