Strange But Good Hummus French Toast

It’s no secret that my favorite meal of the day is breakfast.

Wouldn’t you think this means I’m a morning person?

Lately I’ve been wondering why I don’t just eat breakfast all day long.  There’s no rule that says I can’t.  So I did… it was sooo good that I decided to have it as a savory breakfast.

You many recognize this pic I posted to Instragram yesterday morning and asked you to guess what it was.  It was hummus french toast topped with roasted cherry tomatoes, avocado, bacon sprinkles, and cilantro.   Meg was the closest to guessing correctly!

hummus french toast

It may look fancy, but this was the EASIEST thing to throw together.  All you need for the eggy dip is an egg white and hummus.  It’s not even that strange… think savory eggs… with bread!

I added some spices too, but you can do your own thing depending on the hummus you use.  Mine looks a little green because I used spinach hummus.  Fitting for #strangebutgood, no?

hummus french toast

On my brinner version I roasted broccoli slaw along with cherry tomatoes as a topping.  I also used some of my no-salt deli turkey for a little more protein.

The bread I used as the base is P28 high protein, but you can use whatever you like.  The P28 slices are HUGE, so if you use another bread you may need 2.

hummus french toast

hummus french toast

Hummus French Toast

• 1 T hummus
  • 1/4 C egg whites (or 1 large)
  • 1 small garlic clove (minced) or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 large or 2 small slices of bread (I used P28)
  • Red pepper flakes, to taste
  • Optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, roasted broccoli slaw, cherry tomatoes, turkey

In a wide bowl, mix together hummus, egg whites, and garlic.

Over medium-low heat, heat pan coated with a thin layer of oil or PAM.

Place the bread into the bowl, letting it soak up egg mixture for a few seconds, then carefully turn to coat the other side.

Transfer bread slices to pan, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown.  Turn and brown the other side.

Serve hot, topping as desired.

Who else has enjoyed making co-workers, friend, or family stare with strange but good creations lately?

The link up rules can be found here or by clicking on “Strange But Good” in the menu bar above.

In short, I want to see what concoctions have earned you weird looks from co-workers, family and friends!  Post your Strange But Good creations, grab the logo below for your blog, and link up here.

Sprint 2 the Table

Remember to use #strangebutgood in any Tweets and Instagrams of your creations. :)

Someone else guessed this was Mexican French Toast... that may be happening this weekend...

What is your favorite french toast recipe?

What is your go-to brinner (breakfast-dinner)?

Comments

Yum! As always, another great looking meal!
    Brinner is one of my favorite things. Usually I do the sweet route, of oatmeal or something like that. It’s always the best.

GIRL. you KNOW I love me some savory french toast! I NEED to try hummus… hmm, it should work with my standard egg-free french toast. I may have to try it this weekend.

I made a new truffle that is strange but good. but you’re gonna have to wait until I post it… it’s a surprise ;)

I love savory breakfast ideas! This one looks really good. My favorite brinner is tofu scramble. So full of veggies and filling.

I have not had French toast in years, I mean years but the best I ever had was a nutella topped French toast coated in coco powder and cinnamon. Not at all something I would normally eat, but Vegas brings out the fun in me. I love hummus and egg so this is for sure on my to do list! Thank you for sharing. Love + Shine Courtstar

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so that’s what it was! I was trying to think of something more complicated. LOL! But i love this and man it sounds perfect right now.

Honestly, I don’t have a fav french toast recipe. I’ve never been a huge french toast fan, BUT since I’m very much of a savoury girl I know I’d love this ;) Looking at these pics makes me think some sriracha would be great with it :D YUM!

Anyways, thanks for the shout out :D it was fun guessing and I was so excited for the big reveal today :D HAHA

Why didn’t I think of that? Laura, that’s brilliant!
    I’m linking up a similar ‘spread hummus on bread and cook it’ deal, but for me it’s my favorite grilled cheese sandwich. Not because of National Grilled Cheese Sandwich month. I had no clue until Lauren of Gourmet Veggie Mama spilled those particular beans.
    Nope, my sandwich is shared because I stuff 4 different CSA farm share veggies into it–lettuce, of course, not strange, shredded carrots, not strange at all, shredded radishes (ok, we’re getting a bit off center now) and pickled turnips. Yep, that’s the weird one. But boy does it make the sandwich taste wonderful.
    Thanks for hosting!

When you think about it…hummus really is just a way to amp up savory flavors. So it’s definitely NOT all that strange. But it definitely sounds DELICIOUS. As would scrambled eggs stirred with hummus…or hummus melting into an omelette? Or a poached egg on top of hummus toast?

Sarah… have I EVER made anything you thought sounded strange? ;)

P.S. Hummus is good with poached eggs. And crab.

Savory french toast. What a fabulous idea. I’m digging it.
    My actual food link up today isn’t strange (not in my opinion), but I would say many of my friends, family and coworkers think my love and general over the top enthusiasm for rabbit food is strange so I decided to hop on the link up train.
    Have a great weekend.

Seriously?! You really, really have to come eat with me one day. I’m going to stop telling you that… if you agree. ;)

Breakfast all day – now there’s an idea that I’m totally ob board with. There are days where each of my meals will pretty much be breakfast. Cereal for breakfast, a smoothie for lunch, and oatmeal for dinner… and it’s those days that tend to be the ones I look forward to the most :D

• morgan says

um, I think we are secretly best foodie friends?!! I am always trying to find ways to have cinnamon, vanilla & pumpkin in every meal (eggs- good!, TVP- good!, quinoa- good! chicken- good!) its like breakfast all day :)

What a great idea! I’ve wondered how I could make a savoury version, this is not strange at all :)

This has certainly inspired me to make a vegan version. My favorite french toast right now uses banana (or pumpkin) and ground chia to dip the bread in, so good! This so happens to be my favorite brinner as well :)

I’ve definitely made vegan french toast, but never a savory… I bet this would be a great one to turn vegan! Maybe with nooch too? Please let me know if you try it!!

I never would have guessed that! Our go to brinner lately is frittata… just had it last night. Hmm, recipe of the week was lentil salad with sw pot and apples, that’s not strange, is it? My mom would say yes, but I don’t think my recipes are strange enough for the health blog world. :)

Mealtimes are a social construction. Well, that’s what I tell myself when I eat chocolate for breakfast, cereal for lunch, and poached eggs for dinner, anyway.

Roasted broccoli slaw. Love it.

Oh wow this sounds amazing! I’m a huge fan of french toast – there’s a restaurant in Chicago I love that does *stuffed* french toast. The one with marzipan… SO indulgent, but so delicious. I can totally get behind savory french toast – must try!

Favorite brinner? I don’t know if this counts, but I think I’ve had some version of sweet potatoes and eggs/fritattas for dinner at least 4 nights this week.

Ohhh, Mexican French toast? Are you just thinking savory Mexican spices or are you thinking what I’m thinking? Cayenne spiced chocolate French toast!?! By the way, if you WEREN’T already thinking that and I just gave you the idea, then you BETTER give me credit if you make it! Oh, and I would like some sort of award or trophy to go along with that. Please and thank you. ;)

I am seriously loving this recipe! I’ve never once thought about making French toast savory before…I always go sweet. And I have SO many recipes…whole eggs, egg whites, egg-less, protein powder, cake batter…yeah, I like to pour syrup on things…um, I mean I like French toast! ;)

1. […] my stomach and subsequently my heart. Yes, I ❤ salads, and apparently I can be romantic, in a Strange But Good […]

2. […] out her blog today for other Strange But Good traveling freak shows–and I mean that with soul sister […]

3. […] have you been craving recently? I’ve been craving more scones and bread! I love both of these recipes! I made another batch of scones yesterday and they turned […]