Gettin’ Grounded & TVP Bacon Bits

I can admit when I’m wrong.

Sometimes.  If I’m in the right mood.

Wednesday I ranted about declining service in restaurants.  I still stand by my theory, but I have to call out the fact that I had absolutely amazing service at dinner last night.

I met a friend at Metro Fresh, one of my favorite local spots.  They serve fresh, clean food.  The menu changes daily and the prices are reasonable.  It’s my go-to.

After enjoying a fantastic piece of salmon and a leafy green salad, I was craving dark chocolate.   I asked if they had squares, but they didn’t.  Much to my surprise, one of the employees brought over the most delicious (housemade!) cinnamon roll.  For.  Free.

MetroFresh salmon

When I got home, I wrote an email to the owner bragging on his staff and thanking him for another great experience.  Have you ever done this?  I try to be as quick to compliment as I am to complain.

This morning when he emailed out the daily menu, he included my note saying it was especially nice to get after a long, busy day.  How cool is this?!

MetroFresh

Awesome.  There is hope.  There are still restaurant owners and staff that care about the experience customers have in their establishments.

It feels so good to be APRIL!  I’ve been waiting for this month all year!

It’s my last month of law school, and I am so so so so excited to be almost done!  I could not have done this without my friends and family and their constant support.  (Editor’s note: SO PROUD of you!!!)

I went to my cousin’s amazing wedding, and got to spend time with my mom and brother and dad.  Being with my family reminded me of how important they are because they make me feel so grounded.  This is probably because your family are your roots, and even though they might sometimes drive you batty, they are where you come from.

See, I get it from my momma (and I know the quality of this picture SUCKS – but you can see where I get my quirky qualities)

Me and my handsome brother

Me and my handsome brother

It was also a blessing to go to my cousin’s wedding and spend time with my extended family.  WOW.

It was so cool to see how in love they are and to know how much they’ve been through before they ever got married.  Their love is the kind of love I aspire to, and they truly have a fairy tale.  (Editor’s note: I flippin’ loved seeing all their wedding pics – cowboy fairy tale!)

SEE?!?!? So stinkin' cute!

SEE?!?!? So stinkin’ cute!

When I came home, I also had a beautiful necklace in the mail – a tree that represents the earth and feeling grounded… this is symbolic for me because I think I realized that this is my theme of the year/month/right now/whatever.

My groundedness is coming from my family, my ability to connect with nature, to be with the earth.  I love what I get from the earth and feel incredibly lucky every day.

earth

I also got to connect with Laura over a wonderful dinner at Bacchanalia!  I can’t believe she treated me to such an awesome birthday dinner!  (Editors’ note: Thank god the company was good! ;) )

At the dinner, she asked me to share what I have been doing with TVP, so I had to oblige.  TVP Bacon Bits!!!

TVP Bacon Bits

In my opinion, what gives these a better flavor (and meatier than most) is the combo of the BBQ sauce, cumin, and nutritional yeast. I have never seen a recipe that used this combination, and I don’t know why!  It’s amazing.

I put these bits on EVERYTHING!  Make your friends jealous.  Try it on a salad, on your guacamole (or on half of an avocado), on your baked potato, eat them plain, top your chili.  Endless possibilities!Avocado

Also, another great reason to try this recipe, besides that it’s super easier and way healthier than bacon, (Editor’s note: mmm… bacon), is that you can taste as you go!  You can tell by the flavor of the un-crisped mixture what the final product will taste like, so you can adjust.  Need a pinch of salt?  Want a little more barbecue flavor?  No problem!

Now, what else can we do with these bits? I’m glad you asked. Bacon PANCAKES.  That’s right.  Add a handful of these bad boys to your pancake mixture.  You will NOT regret it.

Pancake batter

Pancake batter

I really like Karina’s recipe, but mine do not come out nearly as beautiful.  I used her recipe and added a bit of cinnamon and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast.  Once I made the mixture, I ladled some into the pan, and added the TVP Bacon Bits.

I suck at flipping pancakes.  They’re never consistent in color but they’re delicious.  (Editor’s note: that’s all that matters!)

Bacon Bit Pancakes

I like these so much, I eat them plain – no butter, no syrup, etc.

Also, I now get why it’s impossible to take pretty pictures of brown food.  Editor’s note: told you so!!!)  So, you will have to take my word for it.

Enjoy!

TVP Bacon Bits

Vegan TVP Bacon Bits

• 3./4 C TVP
  • 3 T nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 C boiling water
  • 1-1.5 T smokey barbecue sauce (or Laura’s sodium and sugar free recipe)
  • 2.5 T tamari (of soy if you’re not gluten-free)
  • 1/2 T maple agave (maple syrup would also work, or you can eliminate for a sugar-free version – I just like maple bacon flavors)
  • 2 T sunflower oil
  • 1 T cumin
  • Pinch of cayenne

Preheat the oven to 265 degrees (yes, 265 – that is not a typo. I just couldn’t decide between 250 and 275).

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl together, whisk with a fork. Spread mixture across a baking sheet.  Place in oven.

I set my timer for 24 minutes. But they really needed like 31.3 minutes…. until I got really impatient.  When they still weren’t crispy, because it takes forever and you have to keep moving them around, you start to get really annoyed.  The next step was to heat that bad-boy of and oven up to 425.  After that, they were done in 10 more minutes.  Crispy and delicious.  This was a trial and error… but came out AWESOME!

Editor’s Note: I think the moral of the story might be to make them at a higher temp. ;)

I have to admit… I’m a little sad that Kat beat me to this idea.  Haha.  Really… I’m gong to be making these STAT.

Does your family keep you grounded, even when you feel insane?  No comment.

What’s exciting about your April?

Comments

Wow, that is definitely awesome about the restaurant!
    Being with my family totally makes me feel grounded as well, I truly love being around them for that reason, it’s just a sense of happiness, peace, and love.
    Ohhhh my gosh, these bits look awesome! Too creative.

2. Morgan says

Wow! Totally blown away with the BBQ TVP! I have been addicted to the Proatmeal jars but this is summer TVP- I see lots of creations with braggs aminos, wasabi & sirracha ahead. You are my go-to read for early AM long treadmill runs- thank you for getting my mind moving with these great ideas :)

I can’t believe we are already in the month of April! Time is flying!

My family is amazing. I just had coffee with my Mom yesterday and I just love being able to sit and talk about everything! My parents and my family are awesome and I’m so grateful!

• Kat says

I feel like I don’t take enough time to really appreciate it! It’s nice to have that relationship though! :)

I love Metro Fresh (and Souper Jenny).

Interesting about the bacon bits. I’ll have to try this. Congrats on finishing law school, Kat!

If I get exceptional service, I do sometimes try to let a manager know. I think too many times they only hear complaints and sometimes it’s really nice to get a compliment and then they’re more likely to keep up the good services.

Very cool on your restaurant visit! Pays to be loyal! :)

I am not a bacon fan – I know!! I am also not knowledged in all this TVP I see in the blog world & have for a while – I have not tired it & not sure what it is supposed to do – can you enlighten me?

• Kat says

Jody – There are some easier tvp recipes that I like to use… it makes a good “ground beef” for tacos. I just add some boiling water to them (like above).. add my favorite taco seasonings and sautee until they are browned. It’s an easier way to introduce yourself to the easiest way to get protein by way of a fake-o meat product ever!

I wouldn’t call it a fake-o meat product because it is more pure (no addiitives) than those fake soy meats… Jody was worried it would affect her stomach though. Kat, have you ever noticed a problem?

The older I get, the more I realize just how important family is and also where all my weird quirks come from; you can always blame your parents. ;)

I’m fascinated by the Vegan TVP Bacon Bits. Back in my meat eating days, bacon was always my favorite.

• Kat says

Thanks for the comment. I wasn’t sure if people would respond to the sappy part of my post! :)

The Bits are great! I also think smoke portabella mushrooms are also a great substitute for that bacon flavor/smell

• Kat says

haha!! Your comment totally made me smile! :-D Bacon + Pancakes are a match made in heaven. breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

• Kat says

I need to try the “oats” versions.. and the overnight ones. I’m just so impatient! you should also try making TVP “ground beef” for tacos.. its so much like “the real thing”!!!

It is always so great to find a restaurant where you get really good service. You’d think it would be a no-brainer for the restaurant. Look, you’re telling people, you’ll go back, etc. What better advertising can they get?

Thanks Kat for the TVP bacon! I’ve made fake bacon with tempeh and even tofu, but never thought of trying tvp. I will now!

Metro Fresh LOVE!!! And I love that he watches the New Normal. <3 <3 <3

Kat… you are AMAZING! So inspirational! Awesome recipes! Awesome tree necklace and meaning behind it. Awesome Awesome Awesome!!! I love the two of you.

ooohhhh MAMA what have you done!?!??! I am so stinkin’ excited to try these bacon bits. woo HOO. congrats on your last month of school – an accomplishment to be celebrated, for sure! (I remember how good it felt just getting that 4 year degree…) ;)

and Laura YAY on free cinnamon rolls! and a good experience – see, what goes around comes around. or… it all balances out? yeah, that’s the ticket ;)

Congrats on being one step closer. I myself am about to graduate with my degree, and it’s a really bittersweet occasion for me. It’s something that I’ve been waiting impatiently on these last few years but now it seems like the time is just flying by. And fyi, i rarely ever flip anything successfully either. Lol. especially pancakes.

• Kat says

Congrats on your degree. I completely feel you on the bitter-sweetness of it. School is like a safe haven.

I don’t even remotely practice enough to get better at flipping!

Omg, Kat!! You are a flippin’ GENIUS!! I can’t wait to try these! And seriously…THAT’S what you call being bad a pancake flippin’? PLEASE! At least they are still in one piece! And heck, they’re ROUND! It took me a WHILE to hone in on and perfect my skillz…you should have SEEN the messes I ended up with in the beginning! Haha!

Oh and can I just say that I love how your mind works that you thought to put these in pancakes anyway?! Totally what I would do! And hell yeah to Instagram for making brown food look good!! I swear we all need glasses that help us to see in IG filters! Lol

No offense to my family, but I wouldn’t necessarily say they “ground” me…more of like, they make me feel grateful for all the changes I’ve made in my life. #truth