Microwave Protein Carrot Cake

My Mam Maw made the best carrot cake.

I know we all say this, but I’m not kidding.  I think it could have won awards.

It’s probably her I have to blame for my carrot obsession.  Oatmeals, shakes, protein batters, overnight oats… I put carrot in EVERYTHING.

I’ve even been making my own cake.  Healthy and with protein, of course.  Mam Maw is turning in her grave.

Microwave Protein Carrot Cake

The traditional cake is loaded with oil and sugar.  It’s iced with cream cheese and more sugar.  How could it NOT be good?

Anyway, this isn’t one of those cakes.  This cake won’t make you feel like you need to run a marathon the morning after AND it still tastes good!  2g of fat and 6g of sugar, plus a whopping 24.5g of protein.  That’s without the “icing.”  I have been whipping these up with my Designer Whey protein powder post-workout.

Carrot Cake you can feel good about in under 10 mins.  That wins in my book!  This cake has all the spice of a traditional cake, and is incredibly moist!

Microwave Protein Carrot Cake

It took me a few tries to make this.  It kept exploding in the microwave!  Did I mention I hate cleaning the microwave?

Making it in a cereal bowl vs. a mug really helped.  I did that and adjusted some measurements to finally get a cake in one piece.  The first explosions still tasted good though:

Carrot Microwave explosion

I really liked having the icing on there too.  It’s a simple cottage cheese mix, but that creaminess takes the cake.  Hee hee.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Microwave Protein Carrot Cake

Microwave Protein Carrot Cake

Based on my Chocolate 150 Calorie Protein Cake recipe.

• 1/2 C grated carrot
  • 1 scoop white chocolate Designer Whey protein powder (28g scoop)
  • 1/4 tsp no sodium baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 T water (or other liquid)
  • 1 T applesauce (no sugar added, can also use pumpkin puree)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/8 tsp butter extract (optional)
  • ~5-6 drops NuNaturals vanilla liquid stevia
  • Optional toppings: “Icing” (see below), cinnamon, cacao nibs

Grate carrot and set aside.

Place dry ingredients in bowl and stir to combine.

Stir in wet ingredients.  Mix in grated carrot.

Transfer to a greased (I use PAM) cereal bowl and microwave for 2-2.5 mins (mine took 2:15).

Tip the cake out onto a plate and top as desired.

My cake was topped with a cheese cake icing made by combining cottage cheese with stevia and maple extract.

Makes 1 cake.

Approximate Nutritionals (will vary based on protein powder brand used): 154 calories, 2.1g fat, 183.7mg sodium, 13.4g carbohydrates, 0.7g fiber, 6g sugar, 24.5g protein.

As for Mam Maw’s cake… I have the recipe.  It may make an appearance on here for some holiday… ;)

What is your favorite cake?

Did you have any odd names for your grandparents?  I called my other grandmother “money” for a while.  She worked at a bank. ;)

Comments

we called my Grandma Graham. I still refer to my Grandpas as “Hawaii Grandpa” and “Grandpa Z”. My favorite person of all time is my Uncle Dudley – not anywhere NEAR his name, and I don’t know why we all called him that! :)

carrot cake, exploding or not, YUM. I need to try this one.

I think my mom’s carrot cake could taken on your mom’s ;)! Haha I kid I kid…I have no doubt that hers taste fabulous! Like you I have a weakness for any carrot cake..and banana cake! Gotta get in those fruit & veggie servings some way right ha!

Carrot cake is my favorite! So much so, that I was set on it being our wedding cake. We had it homemade by a friend of my Mom’s, using fresh carrots, real butter, etc. (I wasn’t going to settle on a carrot flavored bakery cake). It was amazing! Love the protein packed variation–you come up with the best snacks!!

I was boring and just called both of my grandmothers “Grandma”. I did have a family friend who called hers “choo-choo” though.

I call my grandmother “Little Granny”. She is one of my most favorite people in the whole world (next to Tony and the boys). Carrot cake has always been my favorite. This sounds perfect! You know I’m gonna have to try it!

I hope you have a great week Laura!

Got to love cake that’s filled with protein :) I never really called my family anything special, but my friend’s mom’s name is Mani so they always call her Money! Lol!

I’ve never had carrot cake, but I just bought carrot cake granola. It tastes like spices to me. I like spices.

Therefore I will like this. Please send stat.

Really?! Maybe it’s an American thing? I love spices, which I think is why this is one of my favorites.

I sooooooooooooo loved the fattening carrot cake when I was young and well – fat. ;) I will buy the carrots grated since I am too lazy to grate. LOVE THIS!!! :) You rock the recipes!!!!!

Be careful with the stroe bought – they aren’t as thin as freshly grated so I’m note sure what that will do to the weight of the cake. Let me know though!! It’s really easy to grate at home – less than a minute! :)

Yum! This looks excellent! I don’t even like carrot cake (I know), but this looks awesome!
    My favorite cake is probably cheesecake, which I don’t think I’ve had in like 6 years no…darn lactose allergy. Otherwise I’m not a huge cake/pie fan! I’ll take plain chocolate:)

This looks great! I don’t have the white chocolate protein, but I am thinking vanilla would do the trick.

I love your idea of remaking this recipes.. I have a few that I have been brainstorming ;)

favorite cake is anything with chocolate, but a few years ago we created our own gf vegan carrot cake and fell in love with carrot cakes, so carrot cake is probably #2 on our lists hehe

Aww, I have a Mammaw too! Only…we’ve always written it as one word….that’s my dad’ mom. Then I have “Mammy” on my mom’s side! Similar names but two VERY different people! Mammy is very structured, always buttons her blouses all the way up to the top, and could quote the Bible in a moment’s notice whereas Mammaw? Well, let’s just say Mammaw is a firm believer in cooking with alcohol (a little for the turkey…a little for herself) and also owns a T-shirt that says, “When I die, I want to be buried face down so the whole world can kiss my ___” ;) Bahaha!

You KNOW I love your original micro cake recipe you’ve got to know I’m totally drooling over this one! Mmm, K-rots!!! :P

Really, I’d eat just about any cake…as LONG as it has almond extract in it. And if it’s got Cool Whip icing? You better watch yo-self! Lol

You do?! Seriously – we have to be related somehow. Also, I want to hang out with your MamMaw. And borrow her shirt. ;)

Mmmmm… cool whip…

That would be so good! I’m suprised they haven’t – they have one for their Clif Bar brand (though I don’t love it).

13. Kanoelani says

OMG I gotta try this!! Love carrot cake. And we call my Grandmother “Gramma” lol! I know nothin weird but that’s who she is… Gramma haha!! We’re Hawaiian so don’t know if it’s a cultural thing HAHA!! <3 my Gramma though! Thx for this girl… U rock the house!!

MawMaw! Yessssss…I’m pretty sure you commented about that moniker on one of my confessions posts, but all the cool kids call their grandmas MawMaw. [Mine didn’t cook anything though. Perhaps ever. That was Bertha’s job. She’s my third grandmother. ;)] But I digress.

With all of this microwave cake, muffin, bread business exploding–in your case, literally–around the blog world, it is a good thing I’ve started eating egg whites again. As you know I’ve also started eating eggs. But if they were the cause of yesterdays horrific stomach experience, then I might not be so keen on eating them again…

Yes, but mine was MamMaw. I won’der whwere we got the Mam from? Bertha?! That’s a good cooking name,. ;)

I can’t imainge eggs would be the cause… they are such harmless little ovals! It’s usually the dairy or meats that are harder on the body. Are you feeling better?

• says

Apparently my stomach is fine, but now I can’t read. ;)

Still a little lacking in appetite, which stinks, because I will feel hungry and then not know what I want to eat. I hadn’t had dairy OR meat, so I have NO idea what it could have been. The worst part wasn’t even having to be sick. It was that my run was so bad. [Priorities…]

1. […] favorite cake is Carrot Cake – which is why I had to make a healthy protein microwave version.  I did the same for my beloved Chocolate Cake.  That chocolate cake was the last meal I ate […]

2. […] Whey – the makers of my favorite whey protein powder – came out with a new Sustained Energy Protein Powder.  Thanks to Designer Whey and […]

3. […] Based on my Microwave Protein Carrot Cake recipe. […]

4. […] you could use this batter for pancakes.  Or, if you like other cakes, try a protein mug cake in Carrot, Chocolate, or […]