Smokey Chicken Wing Chili

I have never eaten a chicken wing.

Gnawing on a bone does NOT appeal to me.

The sauce makes it tempting though.  Yummy, smokey hot sauce.  Why should I have to chew on a bone to get it? A thick bowl of Tabasco-laced chili sounds much more appealing!

Chicken Wing Chili

The smoked paprika and the Tabasco sauce zing worked really well with the fire-roasted tomatoes.  It gave the chili a campfire feel.  Almost as rustic as gnawing on a bone, no?

You can adjust the amount of paprika and sauce to your heat preference.  If you don’t have smoked paprika, you could also add a little liquid smoke.

Chicken Wing Chili

Traditional chicken wings sides of carrot and celery sticks are the main veggies I used in the soup.  I topped it with smokey blue cheese and celery leaves… and a little extra sauce because I do love my heat.

This would also make an excellent vegan chili if you replace the chicken with TVP!

Chicken Wing Chili

• 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 C no sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (15 oz) can no salt added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 oz) can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tsp Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)
  • Celery leaves
  • Crumbled blue cheese, to top

Cook the chicken in a large pot over medium heat and set aside.

Pour oil in pot and allow to warm.  Add the onions, red pepper, celery and carrots , cooking until tender, ~10 minutes.

Add the garlic and spices, cooking until fragrant, 2-3 mins.

Add broth, chicken, tomatoes, beans, and hot sauce.  Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve topped with crumbled blue cheese to taste.

Makes 5 servings.

Approximate Nutrition (does not include cheese): 285 cals, 11.6 g fat, 119 mg sodium, 20.3 g carbohydrates, 5.9 g fiber, 4g sugar, 22.9g protein

I’ve also never had a fast food hamburger.  Or a baked potato (can’t stand potatoes).

Do you like chicken wings?

Is there a “common” food you have never eaten?

Comments

Yum!!!! This looks super delicious!
    My cup of tea for sure, especially since I’m obsessed with chili lately.
    I’ve never had a chicken wing or baked potato either!! People always think that’s odd, but I’m going have to say you are even odder for never having a fast food hamburger!
    Hm, what’s another thing I’ve never tried before…probably lots. ANY type of sea food, no shrimp, calamari, tuna, salmon, ick none of that stuff for me. I’ve also never had pork or ribs or pie. People think that’s weird too, but the texture really freaked me out as a kid (like a weird fear haha). And the crust never appealed to me. Oh man, now I just thought of a ton of stuff I’ve never tried but this comment could get waaay too long!

I used to not eat seafood too – then about a year and a half ago I tried swordfish and it was all downhill. :)

Pie though?! Whoa, girl.

I will definitely make this chili this week! With tvp, of course.
    Back in my omnivore days I tried almost anything except bugs. I’m a curious person. But that doesn’t mean I liked it all, quite the opposite.

Oh man, back in the day, I used to LOVE chicken wings. Honestly, it was really the sauce that I liked though and not so much the actual chicken.

This sounds perfect! I love making new dishes from traditional flavors! I grew up eating chicken wings, but focused on the celery and carrot sides. Wings never really appealed to me either with all the bone gnawing. My boys all three love them though…silly boys. Love this flavor combo!

No surprise here, but I love the additon of blue cheese to the top of the chili. Gives it a little Je ne sais quoi.
    I have eaten chicken wings before, although I’ve never had peanut butter and jello. I’d refer to keep the flavors separate.

Annnnnd you win comment of the day for working “Je ne sais quoi” into it. ;)

Never had PB&J?! I’m not shocked by much, but you made my jaw drop there.

• says

Now you know how I feel when you gals mix them in with eggs!!
        I was an incredibly picky eater growing up and I wouldn’t touch PB&J. In fact I wouldn’t allow my food to touch at all. If they did, I wouldn’t eat the parts that touched one another. What can I say? I was weird, and I feel bad for my parents now.

…and a smokey TVP-wing chili is just what I will do! :)

I’m with you, even way back when I did eat meat, that never included something on the bone. these flavors sound incredible, I have already made a TVP chili so I know this will be good…

There was a period of time when my mom used to make chicken wings (the frozen kinds from the box) and I thought they were ok. A common food that I’ve never eaten… Probably 95% of the McDonald’s menu… well define common? :P

I don’t know why, but somehow I assumed you’d had chicken wings. I’m not a fan of things with bones in them. If you get a chance after your next competition, have some boneless wings. It’s not something I’d get often (or probably again), but you have to at least try it once. :)

I love this in chili form, as well as the copious amounts of heat. I have had chicken wings, in my former meat eating life…but I can’t say I miss them. I do love the sauce but that can go on a variety of things.

Thanks so much for sharing Laura! I hope you are having a great Monday :)

Hehe I’m the same exact way when it comes to chicken wings – it just doesn’t sound all that appealing to me, and I’ve never really gotten why people are so crazy about cheap wing night at bars. Another common food that I’ve never had? Sushi. Maybe that’s kind of because I’m allergic to it, but the thought of it skeeves me out too.

I am sitting here racking my brain trying to think of something that is seemingly ordinary but that I’ve never eaten. I am going to be puzzling over this all day. Usually the biggest shocker to people is that I grew up just outside of Philadelphia but have never actually eaten a ‘real’ cheese steak, just Papa Smart’s homemade version.

Aaaaah I’m totally eating tvp for lunch today! But just kinds cooked and then mixed with carrots and condiments, because I was too busy this weekend to make something legit. Totally want to make this recipe now!

This is great, I’ve been craving spicy food lately for some reason- which is weird for me because I usually crave more sweet than savory. I don’t like chicken wings either not because of the bones but more because of the veins and cartilage thats attached to them. Which is why I don’t eat another common food- shrimp. I am not a big seafood fan and hate the idea/texture of the veiny-ness of shrimp.

Ewwwww… the veins creep me out too. You should see me bitcher a piece of chicken before I’ll eat it. And NO shrimp. Ever.

My parents used to get PISSED at me because I’d order chicken wings and juuuust barely nibble on them. Buffalo sauce is delicious, but the bone is freaking awful. Seriously gross. Now I don’t eat chicken at all, but I just wanted to say that I’m glad someone agrees with me about hot wings. haha

15. Amelia says

Yuck, can’t stand chicken wings! Between the bones/ excessive amounts of skin, I can’t stomach it. Well actually, I just don’t like chicken in general or pork for that matter. I’m a fan of most other kinds of meat (except lamb too). Well crap, I guess I eat: beef, bison, venison, turkey, and seafood. Ha, I guess that was easier! I do LOVE hot sauce though. Give me anything spicy and I’m a happy girl!

I wish there was a “common” food I’ve never tired, but I pretty much survived on fast food and anything frozen in college and potatoes are one of my top five favs! haha I never understand people ordering chicken wings though. It’s not enough meat and I’m with you, I don’t want to gnaw on a bone.

I can’t lie- I eat wings all the time. But I am totally agreeing with you that gnawing on bones is NOT my favorite thing. Blehhhh…. So get this. I had no idea you could eat celery leaves until my mom served them to me. And they’re yummy! I love that you included them in this. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious and I have the feeling I’m going to be prepping a batch of this goodness at some point this weekend. YUM!

Aren’t they so good? I love adding them to salads for a little extra punch. They are apparently really good for you too!

Let me know if you do try it… and bring me a bowl. LOL! ;)

I bet this would be awesome with shredded cooked chicken too…more like a chicken wing stew! I can take or leave a chicken wing…it does seem like a lot of work (with all that gnawing) for not a lot of payoff…but I do love me some sauce! I actually bought some (relatively clean) chicken wing sauce the other day at Big Lots that I didn’t even intend on using for wings! I was actually thinking…meatloaf! :D

I’ve never had a Twinkie…and I guess now I never will…oh wow, can you tell how much I’m dying inside?? ;)

For sure! I am too lazy to shred chicken though. ;) I found low-sodium, sugar-free BBQ sauce at WF!!! It’ made my week.

You aren’t missing ANYTHING with the Twinkies. They taste like plastic. However, a homemade Twinkies are a thing of beauty.

1. […] smashed potatoes, and roasted brussels sprouts Monday – Vietnamese pork bowl Tuesday – Smokey chicken wing chili Wednesday – Chicken bacon rice bowls Thursday – Leftovers Friday – Out! Saturday […]