Healthy Travel Food + WIAW

I am traveling for work this week.

Ohio

In the cold.  So very, very cold…

Finding healthy food option is one thing if I’m headed to a bigger city, but when I head to smaller towns I know I have to PLAN.  With less than 2 months until my next competition, I’m not “wasting” cheat days on crappy travel food.  I mean, did you see this post?  Why would I eat fast food when I can save it for dinners like that?

The night before I go, I pack up vitamins and supplements.  And then I pray that I don’t get arrested for traveling with white powder (it’s just BCAAs and glutamine!).

Traveling with supplements

I also gather my protein powders, gum, my own salt-free spice blend“emergency” bars and tuna.  Most of these items are “back up” in case I get stuck somewhere.

Healthy travel snacks

Last, I portion out proteins and veggies.  This trip I am taking chicken burgers, lamb, no salt deli turkey meat, balsamic grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, snow peas, and Greek yogurt (see Meal 7 pic below – mixed with fruit and frozen for safe travel).

Protein and veggies to go

Check out this post for a super-detailed explanation and tips for traveling with healthy foods!  And yes, I made it through security with ALL of this, no questions asked.

This WIAW my task was to eat everything left in my fridge.  I not-so-secretly love these days because they lead to come fun concoctions!

WIAWbutton

Check out my 7 meals below, and then click here to head over to Jenn Peas and Crayons to get to see how others dined this week!

Meal 1:

As usual, I enjoyed my morning cocktail (mix of Apple Cider Vinegar, Glutamine, and Fitmixer Aminos).

Upon hearing on GMA that it was National Pancake Day, I consulted the Pancake Queen’s blog for an appropriate breakfast.  I settled on her Ginger-Pear Pancakes.

Ginger-Pear Pancakes

These were heavenly!  I followed the recipe, with a few additions:

• Added 1/8 tsp cardamom
  • Added 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • Used ground ginger
  • My pear was an Asian Pear
  • Made syrup by mixing sugar-free syrup, almond milk, and cinnamon

Meal 2:

This week I had the find of a lifetime at Trader Joe’s.  NO SALT canned salmon that is boneless and skinless!!  Now I can make my Lemon-Thyme Zucchini Salmon Cakes without the nauseating task of de-boning and skinning the can.  *shudder*

That’s not what I made today though.  Today was a blood-salmon salad!  It’s not a gross as it sounds… it’s a blood ORANGE salad.  Hee hee.

Salmon and Blood Orange Salad

Blood Salmon Salad

• 1 can no salt salmon
  • 1 blood orange, sectioned
  • 1/4 C chopped fennel
  • 2 T plain Greek yogurt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Meal 3:

Lunch was a two-part affair.  Part 1 was mahi mahi and a roast of brussels, fennel, and eggplant tossed in coconut vinegar and herbes de provence.

Mahi Mahi and roasted veggies

Part 2 was “dessert.”  Sweet potato topped with cottage cheese and tons of cinnamon.

Let’s pretend I didn’t add more cinnamon post-pic…

Sweet Potato with cottage cheese and cinnamon

Meal 4:

I roasted a leg of lamb before work yesterday.  I’m told that’s not normal.  Either way, it was delicious!  And it was a great mid-afternoon meal with spinach, cabbage, and nutritional yeast!  Does anyone else top their meat with vegan cheese-like substances? ;)

Lamb salad

Meal 5:

This was my last meal before making a mad dash to the airport.  I had 1/2 a serving of chili left, a little deli turkey, avocado, and smokey blue cheese.  Down the hatch and sprinting… 2 the airport.

Chili

Meal 6:

Airplane meal!  I knew I’d have to eat this cold, and a salad seemed more appealing than a burger… so I crumbled a chicken burger and mixed it with Greek yogurt, carrots, and zucchini.  Chicken Burger Salad!  People were appalled fascinated.  Better than peanuts, no?

Chicken Burger Salad

Meal 7:

This is one of my yogurt creations.  I took a single serving plain Greek yogurt container and mixed it with blood orange, cinnamon, and a couple of stevia drops.  Then I froze it overnight to take with me.  This serves two purposes: it keeps it cold enough for travel and acts as and extra ice pack for my cooler.

Being on the road doesn’t mean I can’t have a clean dessert… with a little treat on top.  A crumbled Quest peanut butter cup!

Blood Orange Greek Yogurt

The protein count for the day: 171.4g.

Have you had any interesting run-ins with airport security?

Do you pack healthy food for the road?  What are your favorites?  This week’s Strange But Good link up is going to be fun with all my packed eats! ;)

Comments

I love how well you are able to eat while travelling! I’ll definitely have to come back to this post if I’m ever travelling, because I seriously suck at planning ahead hah. Hahaha, they must think you are totally crazy for bringing across white powder;) I’m sure you won’t get arrested, could you imagine that would be the worst. I brought overnight oats once on a plane and they made me eat it there, since they wouldn’t let me through with it. Not cool.

Although this is probably not the comment you are expecting, you are going to be a FANTASTIC mom one day- love how prepared you always are :)! I definitely pack healthy snacks when I’m travelling and some of my favorites are KIND bars, peanut butter & fruit! I usually pack sandwiches or a salad to eat during the journey as it’s a great way to finish up leftover produce/food before leaving!

I try to pack healthy stuff when I travel. Mostly because the food at the rest stops here is appallingly awful. Hideous. I don’t even like to look at it.

I like the idea with blood oranges and salmon. Lemon goes great with salmon so why not oranges? I wonder if I can find some boneless canned salmon at the store…

Thankfully, I don’t have to travel by plane that often. I always get a thorough pat down while taking off my belt and boots. Yuck!
    I love your idea of frozen yogurt! Sometimes I do the same with smoothies.

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one that travels with most of their food! I’ll pack salads (dressing/condiments on the side to add when ready to eat), apples, oranges, carrots, celery, tuna/salmon and protein powder. Love the frozen greek yogurt idea! Good one!

LOL to praying that you don’t get arrested for traveling with white powder! That’s too funny! I’m glad you know to plan well while traveling! My dad leaves for a business trip to Texas today and I packed him a care package of granola, nuts, and turkey jerky :)

You are the healthy travel food champ, Laura! Excellent idea with the yogurt/fruit. I’m going to be flying in a few weeks. It’ll be around dinner time. I don’t want to eat too much before flying because I know my friends will want to eat after landing, but I love the yogurt idea. I’ll let you know how I do!! Travel safe!

Thank you so much! Let me know how you make out with the yogurt. Make sure it’s Greek so it’s thick enough not to be viewed as a liquid! :)

I’m impressed at your preparation skills.

I once had a pomegranate in my purse and it raises suspicion with airport security. They had to take it out and look at it and confirm that it was actually a fruit and not a bomb.

I always worry about what they may or may not let me through with food-wise. Good call on packing with the frozen fruit. I always pack up oatmeal, cinnamon, stevia packets, protein powder and make sure I can at least get bananas at the hotel.

I am the worst when it comes to travelling with healthy foods. But I’m trying! When Vishnu and I travel together, I tend to pack sandwiches, fruits, and snacks for us. But for some reason, when it’s just me, I “forget.” It’s awesome how you got through TSA w/out any issues. ATL’s TSA is tough!

11. Amelia says

Gosh, I hope that is a recycled pic from another time and you are not staring at SNOW outside your window! Shiiivver brrrrrr!!!

Funny that you ask if anyone puts nutritional yeast on meat items. I questioned that when I made a taco salad last week and made a sauce with it (cumin and jalapenos) to put on ground turkey. Then again this morning when I added it to my salmon. Ha! But it tastes SO good!

How is coconut vinegar? I was thinking of trying it. Right now I’m loving TJ’s white balsamic mixed with lemon juice for my dressings. BTW- TJ’s no salt added canned tuna is yummy too! Have a fun business trip. :)

Nope – that’s my view this week. And next week.

Coconut vinegar is good. It’s not really coconut-y though… less bite than a regular white vinegar. I love the white balsamic too!

Shoot for a second there I thought you were showing us you drug stash! Just don’t joke about it if you are asked at security! Bad things happen lol

Ok, so I usually take with me my breakfast for the airport (overnight oats of some sort), tons of precut veggies, my protein powders, bars, and vitamins. If the mister is coming too, a sandwich for him so he doesn’t get grumpy while we wait. This totally makes me want to buy a travel cooler and start bringing way more food though!

You’ll never believe how small the cooler I brought wat – it was just my lunch bag! Baggies are the ultimate space-savers.

I’m very proud of you and very inspired :) As always, thanks for the wonderful WIAW :) I am happy you travelled safe babe <3 I always pack food for my flights back to Saskatchewan/Ontario and NEVER have troubles :) Just stares :)

I cracked up with that picture about the TSA and the pills/powder when you posted on Instagram. I would have loved to see the faces the security people had scanning that. Haha! And you are the PRO at healthy food travel. Somehow you sitll manage such amazing combos even on the road. #inspiring

I’ve never had a weird run in with airport security besides one time flying home on new years day and I was feeling very sick (hungover) so I literally had to ask people if I could cut them so I could make it to the bathroom- gross. I always pack healthy food for the road in the form of fruit bowls and my own trail mixes. Recently I’ve been loving mixing vanilla greek yogurt with cinnamon, chopped apples and almonds- amazing snack with sweetness and crunch.

I know how you feel about being nervous about suspicious TSA agents. My mom is a holistic health practitioner so she is always carrying around herbs that look (and sometimes smell) like variations of pot. She gets some pretty interesting looks!

xx Kait

I literally laughed out loud when I saw that pic of your supplements pop up in my IG feed. In all honesty, I’d be terrified to travel with that because I have the worst luck when it comes to airport security. I’m always the one who gets ‘randomly’ selected for a more in depth search :roll:

The only issue I ever had with airport security was when they found a butter knife in my diaper bag (it was a couple of years ago). I had no idea that my, then 18 month old, son had dropped the knife in my bag at dinner the night before.

I told them they could have it but they let me keep my contra-ban knife.

Other than that I have been clean on my trips.

As for packing healthy food I do it for not only my health but also for my wallet. Airport food has such a potential for being expensive. The only thing I suck up and pay for (only because I have to) is a bottle of water. It is always much more enjoyable to eat my food on the plane (like granola bars, fresh fruit and veggies).

I hope you stay warm and get back to the ATL safely.

I’m so impressed with your travel preparation and eats- if only you did that as a side business for all the rest of us who pack nuts and crackers and PB packets “just in case” :P I’ve had bad luck in the past with getting through security with foods from home- the worst was Boston [when I was in college]… My mom would send me back with stuff and I’ll never forget when they took my Thanksgiving leftovers, how rude haha!

1. […] am in LA.  (California, not Lower Alabama.)  I didn’t do an epic food prep like I have in the past since it’s a building year… and I’m in Cali.  The food […]

2. […] it’s not eaten before I leave, it’s eaten on the road.  I’ve done a couple of travel food posts before; while I’m not in competition mode this trip I still would rather have my own food […]