Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal

I am not a morning person.

That’s an understatement.

After hitting snooze too many a few times, I’m forced to race through my morning routine. I squeeze in a quick workout, shower, try to make my face look presentable for work, and inhale breakfast. This means I NEVER have time for something a decadent as baked oatmeal.

Then light bulb went off. Pre-Baked Oatmeal.  I made this Raspberry version last spring, but wanted to create one for the winter months.

Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal

Sweet Potatoes are one of the seasonal items I most look forward to. The sweet potato helps to bind these bakes together, and provides a creamy texture that is excellent against the chewy rolled oats.

Aside from the pie-like taste they add, sweet potatoes also pack a ton of nutrients. They are rich in Vitamins B6, C, D, and are good sources of iron and magnesium.

Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal

When you freeze them, all you have to do is pull one or two out and pop it in the microwave to defrost.  45 seconds later you can be shoveling delicately eating your oatmeal on the run.

Yes, this baked oatmeal recipe was created to be made in advance to freeze… however, I dare you not to eat one hot out of the oven.  I “iced” mine with a mixture of Greek yogurtcinnamon, and a couple of drops of liquid Stevia.

Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal with Icing

Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal

Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal

• 1 ½ C canned or mashed sweet potato
  • 1 egg
  • ½ tsp almond extract
  • ¼ tsp maple extract
  • 3 C rolled oats
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 20 drops liquid stevia
  • ¾ C Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners, or grease with cooking spray.

Mix together sweet potato, egg, milk, and extracts. Stir in oats, spices, baking powder, and sweetener. Mix in milk and stir until combined.

Pour batter evenly into tins.  Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.

Enjoy a few fresh, and allow the remaining to cool completely before placing in a freezer bag for storage. For a quick breakfast, remove muffin from the freezer and microwave ~30 seconds (until warmed through).

Makes 12 muffins.

Notes:

• Use a flax egg (1T ground flax + 3T water) to make the recipe vegan
  • Use Gluten-Free Oatmeal to make these gluten-free
  • Can sub ¼ C sugar for the Stevia
  • Using Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla rather than skim milk saves you 42 calories in this recipe

Laura Hall Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal Nutrition

Be sure to check out Silk Pure Almond website and Facebook page to see more delicious, creative recipes!

This post is part of a sponsored campaign with Silk and FitFluential, LLC. All opinions are my own. Learn more about Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened on Facebook andTwitter.

Thank you all SO much for all of your support during the past weekend’s race.  It was SO much fun, and we didn’t come in last. :)  I’m working on a recap!

Are you a morning person?

What is your favorite “quick” breakfast?

Comments

Yum! I love baked oatmeal but am yet to try it with sweet potato! I am definitely a morning person- I have to be as I get too worked up rushing about first thing hah! On the days where I need a quick breakfast, overnight oats are my go-to as is plain yogurt mixed with raw oats, whatever fruit I got and peanut butter!

I’m not a morning person at all! But because of my job and commuting situation I need to leave my house before 7 am every workday. That’s so hard! I’m a total zombie before 10 am. That’s why I do as much prep work as possible the night before, like putting out my outfit, packing breakfast, lunch, and snacks, etc. My go-to quick breakfasts/snacks are sandwiches, overnight oats, and fresh fruit, mostly bananas, apples, and clementines at the moment.

3. Amelia says

I have completely transitioned to being a morning person. Maybe it has to do with age? I don’t know. There is just something about the feeling of getting stuff accomplished in the morning before the rest of the world is up!

I too struggle with fast breakfasts to get out the door! Yesterday I stumbled upon a great banana/almond bread recipe, which I quickly modified to up the protein content and baked into mini muffins for fast/on the go breakfast this week. Your oatmeal muffins look great! They remind me of ‘no bake’ cookies in a way. I bet you could sub a banana/applesauce for the sweet potato, add in some pb flour, and WHAM a protein power breakfast to go!

Looking forward to the race recap. :)

I did use banana as the binder with the Raspberry version. Love the PB flour idea… that’s going to happen next! :)

• Amelia says

Crap, should have clicked on the raspberry link. I think those are going to happen today and I’m going to use 1/2 oats 1/2 pb flour. It will be like a jelly sandwich for breakfast. :)

This recipe is awesome. I just trying to think of something fun and different I could make to have on hand for breakfasts this week so what perfect timing. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

These sound delicious.

While I wouldn’t consider myself a morning person really, I’m definitely NOT a night person at all. I’m always the first person to want to go to sleep.

6. Kayla says

This is hilarious – I have made your raspberry version before – and legit last week I basically made this exact recipe but I used canned pumpkin that was on-sale! I also threw in some frozen blueberries for quick breakfasts. Also a fantastic pre-work out bite. I leave a carton of boiled eggs in my fridge and have one of these with a few boiled egg whites and boom! complete breakfast ! (:

I am a morning person through and through! It’s kind of crazy when I think about how much my energy levels drop off as the hours pass by. Haha! And my favorite breakfast on the go has to be baked oatmeal muffins (similar to this but with chocolate chips) or overnight oats. Great options to just grab and go!

I am not a morning person by any means, so it’s rare I get in a morning workout… but I am always rushing out the door! I’ve been doing a lot of overnight oats, recently. Easy to mix the night before, and even easier to grab and go in the morning. I’m not sick of them yet! Haha Going to try your recipe – I love me some sweet potato! Yum!

I need to do that… figured I’d keep it simple for Silk. ;) I ste mine today on top of a greek yogurt-protein powder pudding.

Ooh, what a fantastic combo- sweet potato and oats! Definitely gonna make these. I am not a morning person, either… having kids helped a little- I can now get up before 7 without being a grump, but I’d much rather stay up late and sleep in. :)

I am that annoying morning person! I am, however, a bear by 9pm. I love making easy on the go breakfasts for the boys. They are not morning people and getting them to eat in the morning is complicated. So, I like to make wholesome eats for them to eat in the car. This sounds perfect!

Congratulations on your race! I’m so happy for you!

I do not envy mom’s… I know I was trerrible at getting to school. And my mom even brought breakfast to my bathroom while I got ready!

I’ve actually made something similar before but without the ginger and with raisins. It really is amazing and unlike normal oatmeal it keeps in the fridge much better! Never tried freezing it though :P

12. Taylor says

Hello! I’ve been following your site for a little bit now and I was experimenting with your raspberry baked oatmeal and actually made a Sweet Potato and Apple version YESTERDAY! haha You can imagine my shock when I read your post for today! Wonderful recipe and a lifesaver in the morning, thanks for sharing!

13. elizabeth says

I don’t love sweet potatoes, but make these with banana, oats, almond milk, vanilla, stevia, bk pwder, salt and no egg. I stick them in freezer, just like you.

My first version (the Raspberry I linked to above) used banana as the binder. I love that it works with so many mix-ins!

I am a morning person (it’s 7:30 and I’ve already had a 2.5 hour workday…) BUT I still love this idea. my mornings include operating my juicer, my treadmill, my coffee kettle. having breakfast already done means I can get on to other things that much faster!

I will be making these… tonight!

I feel so special when you make something of mine. Let me know how you liked it! I’m making your lentils tonight. :)

I used to be such a night owl, but somehow over the past few years I’ve transitioned into a complete morning person. I haven’t been woken up by an alarm clock in years, and naturally just wake up somewhere between 5:30-6:30. It’s actually kind of annoying… I really wish I could sleep in!

This is a great recipe, love! My quick breakfast is eggs and cereal with milk haha or cold chicken with cereal and milk. Oh I’m so fancy, huh?

Love you babyyyy

I laughed out loud when you “iced” your muffin!

And the Hubby is sick today (poor fella) so I’m been making him a version of your Cherry Ginger smoothie with Strawberries, Ginger, Bananas and Almond Milk instead.

Can’t wait to hear about the race.

Pfft, I AM a morning person, and there’s STILL no way I’m baking oatmeal first thing in the morning–Ain’t nobody got time for that! Love the pre-baked idea, and these totally sound breakfast-cookie-esque–which you know is something I’d never argue with :) Eggs are my usual breakfast, but if I need something fast? It’s Greek yogurt plus whatever toppings or bottomings I can scrounge from the fridge.

Yum, these look fantastic. Your mornings sound like mine, I’m a maniac. I love being able to get up earlier and take my time but sometimes it doesn’t happen. Which is why I always prep breakfast the night before. However, I do wake up early and like waking up early too. I naturally get up around 6 or a bit before. It’s kind of weird.

As hard as I try, and as much as I really love mornings, I am SO not a morning person. I am so much more productive at night, which often makes things difficult.

And I definitely need to get better at prepping breakfast ahead of time! I often cook my oats the night before and just let them sit on the stove and reheat in the morning. Or i make some fritatta “muffins” (basically, mix up the ingredients for an omelet and bake in a muffin tin) and store them in the fridge for the week.

Gosh I am loving this recipe… and I have never thought of sweet potatoes as a breakfast thing but of course it can be! I mean I often add pumpkin into oatmeal so this is basically the same thing :) Anyway, I am planning to make this and SOON! Thanks for the recipe lovely lady

Definitely a morning person. I’m not a big fan of sleeping in. I’d rather start my day off early… and than more than likely pass out early, Ha.

Omg, WHY have I never thought to make PRE-baked oatmeal?! I’m always drooling over the recipes I see online for all the breakfast bakes and such, but when I wake up, I want breakfast NOW! And yeah, to answer your question (after tailoring it to my needs), I am so NOT an afternoon person! Of course, here I am at 6am…the last 30 minutes of my shift and I feel like my face is about to slam into my laptop…so there ya go, I’m not a MORNING person either. I’m more of a midnight person…as in after midnight, it’s a steady decline to inevitable face planting! Gah, I can almost feel the softness of my pillow right now…hurry up clock!

Favorite quick breakfast: Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with random (yet delicious) shit thrown on top! ;)

I can’t even imagine your schedule… I’d be a hot mess! Yes to the Greek and the cottage cheese… that’s what I ate my baked oatmeal with today, actually. :)

These sound amazing. I’ve never been much of a morning person but now that I have Bailey, I’m getting there. I like being up early enough to go for a good 20-30 minute walk with her, play for a bit and then take my time getting ready. I still don’t have time for a decent breakfast though! I always end up eating once I get to work. These sound incredible. I have a sweet potato I need to use… do you think this would work with steel cut oats? I accidentally bought those instead of rolled and am too cheap to go buy rolled ones now until I use the others up haha

So…I wake up almost an hour and a half before I have to leave for work so that I can mosey around and make stove top oatmeal every day. I don’t know why I do this. But I do.

Generally I am a morning person. After 3:00 my thoughts don’t usually make sense and I need to exercise and then just chill out without speaking much. (Generally.) I also can’t sleep in. (Generally.)

Did that comment make any sense?

I used to be a morning person. I would wake up at 5:00 am every morning, hit the gym, take a shower, and be on it the rest of the day… I find myself hitting the snooze more often than not now. ack. But these are a GREAT way to get oats and sweet potatoes in the am… yum. Was following your adventure race. too cool!

27. Amanda J says

Wow this sounds great, can’t wait to try it! And love the variations, makes this a versatile recipe and all will be good for my diabetic hubby as well. I don’t use Stevia, would agave or honey be okay to use as a sweetener!

Thank you so much! Agave or honey would be a fine sweetener. 6 Drops liquid Stevia = 1 T sugar… so I think the agave sub in the recipe would be about 2T. You might reduce the liquid a bit as well. Let me know how it goes! I’d love to know. :)

28. Jill says

Ummm, just gonna try this awesome-looking recipe, but the directions mention milk and the ingredients don’t….do I need milk, and if so, how much? Thanks….

29. Ambra says

I think I’m going to try this with pumpkin instead of sweet potato. It sound delicious and I’ll be going to early morning shifts next month so I need something I can make quickly or take with me to heat up for breakfast.

30. tanara says

Just made a batch of these! So excited to have them in the morning. Can these muffins be left out or in the refrigerator for a couple of days instead of freezing them?

Please let me know how you like them! :)

I think they’d be fine for 3-4 days in the fridge. They are really moist, so be sure to keep them in the fridge to avoid mold in the summer heat.

1. [...] topping was a crumbled Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal, straight from my freezer.  I’m so obsessed with [...]

2. [...] (Sprint 2 the Table): Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal – Silk Pure Almondmilk is used in the mix! She also includes other substitutes to make the recipe [...]

3. […] 17 “muffins.” (They can seriously just be eaten as muffins.) I adapted the recipe from here. I didn’t really add any sweetener, so I’d recommend you do that if you want a sweeter, […]

4. […] 17 “muffins.” (They can seriously just be eaten as muffins.) I adapted the recipe from here. I didn’t really add any sweetener, so I’d recommend you do that if you want a sweeter, […]

5. […] Not in the mood for berries?  Check out the Sweet Potato version! […]