Flu Fighting + Oatmeal Cookie Shake

This was going to be an “easier” week leading up to my big race Saturday.

I just didn’t realize how easy…

About 1:30am on Sunday I got sick.  Stomach flu sick.  Hence the super-late post today.

At 4am I was a little worried I was going to pass out and texted to see if my mom was awake.  The woman never sleeps, I swear.  She was at my door in 30 mins.  Yup, I’m almost 30 and I call my mom when I’m sick.

I actually feel really lucky that I didn’t get it worse.  My little sister had it last week and she was in the ER getting fluids!  When I felt like I could make it in the car, Mom took me back to her house where she nursed me back to health.

Flu remedy

Ginger Kombucha with bananas.  And a flamingo.  Sure to make the sickest patient smile.  I  my mom.

Enough unpleasantry!  Let’s drink cookie shakes!

You may remember this creation from last year… it is on my “sick craving” list today.  Thankfully, it’s one that would actually be good on my tummy since it uses Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla and bananas (bananas are good on an upset tummy, FYI).

Appropriate for breakfast or dessert, this is one tasty batter. The mix of oats, banana, flax, and coconut flour give it a fabulously doughy texture. I almost wanted to put the mix in the oven once I blended it.

Nutritional yeast may seem like a weird addition, but it has a rich, nutty taste that compliments the sweet flavors in this dough. The vanilla and cinnamon add to the cookie flavor, and – if you have it – the butter extract just adds a hint of “fresh from the oven.”

Oatmeal Cookie Protein Shake

Oatmeal Cookie Shake

• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/4 C rolled oats (use gluten-free for a GF shake)
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1.5 tsp ground flax
  • 1 T coconut flour
  • 1.5 tsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp butter extract
  • 7-8 drops liquid stevia
  • 1/2 C Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla
  • Ice, to taste
  • 1/8 tsp Guar Gum (optional, but this addition will make your smoothie thicker)
  • Toppings: crushed walnuts, raisins, cacao nibs (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a high-seed blender and blend until smooth.

Add toppings and drink your dough!

Notes:

• Nutrition will vary based on the protein powder you use.
  • You may leave out the protein powder; however, I like the addition because protein is good for muscle building/recovery and it makes this even more filling.
  • Using Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla rather than skim milk saves you 25 calories in this recipe

Oatmeal Shake Nutrition

Be sure to check out Silk Pure Almond website and Facebook page to see more delicious, creative recipes!

This post is part of a sponsored campaign with Silk and FitFluential, LLC. All opinions are my own. Learn more about Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened on Facebook and Twitter.

The endurance cram-session post is coming.  I swear… unforseen circumstances.  Ugh.

Do you have a stomach bug miracle cure?  I have to be 100% by Saturday!

What is your favorite milk?  I will never go back to regular again.

Comments

i think the flu is spreading through the blog world. We must really be close. haha. Feel better and LOVE that recipe. but then again, i knew i would

No miracle cure! I wish I had one though. I am sorry you are sick. :(

However, I am NOT sorry that you are craving that smoothie, because for some reason this addition of coconut flour is blowing my mind. What is, shockingly, NOT blowing my mind is the nutritional yeast addition. In fact, I am teaching a granola-making cooking class tonight and my favorite of the two I am demo-ing involves the addition of, yes, nutritional yeast. I swear it turns granola into crack. [And I might be using it for my Strange But Good on Friday…]

Also, I feel like a bit of a stalker, but I was super concerned when you didn’t have a post for me to read over my breakfast this morning at my desk.

I thought you would tell me to slathermyself in Nutty Butter and take a steamy shower… or was that a dream? ;)

Thanks for your concern! I heart you.

Oh girl, I hope you feel better soon. The only cure is time, soup, crackers, and mommy’s love :) (I only say this because I know you’re with your mom and that always helps me!).
    But I seriously love cookie shakes and just recently made a shake with coconut flour (recipe coming sometime soon to my blog) and love it too!

My favorite milk? Definitely Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I can never go back to regular, simply because I never liked it as a kid (I used to strain my cereal from it just so I wouldn’t be drinking it) and now it wrecks my gut. I use almond milk for everything and love it!

Feel better soon. I demand it.

Aw, get better soon my friend!! Mom’s are the best at healing us back to help!! I don’t blame you for calling your Mom, I totally do that too. I’m such a wimp when I get sick. It doesn’t help that when I get sick I get super sick and almost always end up in the hospital. Fun. I LOVE coconut flour in smoothies! Need to try this one.

5. Heather @ Better With Veggies says

Look at all those fun extracts! I saw a coffee one yesterday and thought of you. :) I love smoothies and this one sounds delicious. Almond milk is my favorite too, although I do try other ones sometimes too. I have no idea what cow milk tastes like really, since I’ve been lactose intolerant as a kid and always had something different!

This sounds SO delicious! And it’s pretty!
    Here’s the difference between people like you and me and those who don’t “get it.” I see nutritional yeast in a smoothie and think “intriguing! i have to try that!” And I would bet that the rest of them would think “yeast? Gross!”
    I like us.

I hope you feel better soon, love.

I still go running to my momma when I’m not feeling well. No shame! Mom’s just have a way of making everything feel better. And speaking of which, I hope you feel better soon! And I wish I had a miracle cure for those nasty bugs, but other than resting and drinking lots of fluids, I just wait ‘em out.

I honestly believe it doesn’t matter how old you are– you’lll never stop wanting your mom when you’re sick/hurt. They have magical healing powers and I’m not one to argue with that. Hope you feel better!

Having the flu sucks. Plain and simple; it just sucks, and I’m sorry you have to go through it, but I’m also pretty impressed with your moms sick people coping skills. My mom never gave me a neon bird, and now I feel shafted. You already know ginger is good for stomach ailments (although I learned about bananas today too…thank you very much). Just keep putting down the fluids. The hardest thing to recover from is the dehydration, so hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I’ll also wave my magic wand and crinkle my nose, like in Bewitched, and you’ll be all better in no time. Oh wait, I don’t have a wand, and that shit only works in tv shows, but if I did have one, I’d wave it in your honor.

Hey — I hate to be the one to say this, but seriously don’t do your race on Saturday. It sucks and blows and all that jazz, but the stomach bug is not to be fucked with (and yes, I am saying fuck on your blog again and I had to point it out so I could say it an extra time). You’ll need a few days after the pukeage/poopage (yup I said that too) to recover and get back up to even 50%. And when you’re not at your best, that’s when injury tends to occur.

I know you know these things, but it’s tricky when there’s a big event coming up. I got the worst stomach flu of my life the week after I ran a marathon in 2008. I lost 11 lbs overnight (I was 15 lbs lighter than now to begin with … that put me in the double digits) and I was still hell-bent on wanting to go to the gym after the puking had stopped. Wrong-o. I was winded after about 1 minute of light activity. So lord knows my body was eating up all my muscles that were left after pukeageddon.

Anyway … I swear I’m a mom-in-training or something because I’m always the one to say “DON’T DO THAT” when people are sick, fatigued, or hurt (maybe it’s my string of random injuries … the latest being a minor groin pull that I got the fun way, or by running hills if Mark’s mom asks).

Oh and I totally called my mom when I had that nasty-ass stomach flu 4 years ago. It was that, or go to the hospital, because I couldn’t even get up to get a glass of water, and the guy that I was dating (who I’m no longer dating, obviously, partially thanks to this incident) would not come help me. My mom drove 3 hours to stay with me that week. Granted, I was only 25, but close enough. :)

Feel better, sickie mcgee.

And it’s okay if you rolled your eyes whilst saying “yes mom” while reading my comment.

PS I hope I didn’t get sick from reading this post. I avoid ppl who have stomach bugs LIKE THE PLAGUE. (You have no idea how long it takes somebody w/ existing GI issues to get back to healthy and “normal”)

• says

Yikes. Also, I’m completely freaked out now because I work in a building on campus that has one of the most-frequented lecture halls, and we have ONE BATHROOM right now because of construction. I almost want to go one building over …

OH and one more thing (seriously you should just have a chat program on your blog just for me).

I’ve been channeling you now that I realized my immersion blender rocks for smoothies, and that I’ve changed my taste buds a lil bit after juicing/mostly quitting sugar. I’ve been adding the leftover juice pulp (mostly carrot and beet) to everything, and I’m pulling random veggies (celery, peppers, etc) to put in my smoothies now. YUM.

Hope you feel better :) My sick food is ground apples+carrots, my grandma used to make it for me as a kid and I still request it. Just rest up and drink a ton of fluids, there’s really no other way against the flu :(

AWWW MOMMY TO THE RESCUE!!! This makes me miss my mommy!!! I am glad your mom never sleeps so she can nurse you back to health, lol!

So I have struggled with stomach issues my ENTIRE LIFE… To the point where I needed emergency surgery because my colon was about to burst – Yes, I have no large intestine anymore – What helps calm my stomach: Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, Chamomile & HCL (to reduce bloating and help break down food)!! I used to think FENNEL SEEDS helped, because I always read that fennel was/is a great stomach soother, but those bad boys, EMPHASIS ON THE BAD… Are what cause FEROCIOUS stomach pains… To the point where I think I have to go back to the hospital. Obviously everyone is different, but lets just say, NO MORE FENNEL SEEDS FOR ME!! lol.

I am glad you’re feeling a little better??

Oh!! The beginning of your post makes my heart soar. Not because you were sick (that sucks) but because mothers are the best, the best, and I love that she took you home and nursed you.

I miss my ma.

16. ta says

hi,
    i’m slowly working my way through a bunch of these recipes! i was just wondering if i could substitute coconut flour for regular flour, or perhaps even omit it? thanks :)

Thank you! I hope you’re enjoying them. In this recipe, I’d just leave out the coconut flour. Regualr flour is a lot differnet. :)

Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person’s blog link on your page at proper place and other
    person will also do similar for you.

1. […] listened to my body and my body wanted calories.  Trashy calories.  Post-stomach flu and post-crazy racing I’d lost a couple of LBs.  They have been […]